Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
At first I thought the ASUN was trying to kick us out, but now I see that the ASUN is actually trying to help us. It's a weird feeling when the conference is being proactive and trying to help all of the member schools.
By cruzan_flame13
jimflamesfan wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 1:54 pm At first I thought the ASUN was trying to kick us out, but now I see that the ASUN is actually trying to help us. It's a weird feeling when the conference is being proactive and trying to help all of the member schools.
What I'm thinking is what schools will go for this and why put the ASUN as the footprint for this realignment when their conferences are in better shape? travel expenses is not going to a huge reason why several schools will drop what they have and merge into something that doesn't have an actual blueprint and just here say. Like I said, we will see what is in store for this, but it doesn't look appealing for the most part right now.
By Lion1983
There have been talk that the Easten schools from C-USA are tired of traveling West. Some of the Sun Belt is in the same boat.

Another aspect is that the Sun Belt and C-USA are basically the same footprint. Why have two conferences, at the same level, overall have the same footprint?

By joining with the ASUN, it makes a more Easterly conference. The remaining schools would be a more Western conference. There will be some overlap, but not much.

But you have to remember, this is exploration, nothing is set in stone and nothing may change. But on the other hand, it could change tremendously.

I do know for a fact, Ted Gumbart and I have been in contact in the past. I do know he has been diligent in exploring all facets of being able to maintain the current members by addressing all needs. If this wasnt part of the plan, UNA and Liberty would have never been invited or accepted an invitation from the ASUN. Gumbart knows that if something wasnt done, the conference would have more than likely folded. Then what do all the other schools do? That would have left everyone in a very bad position.
By hoop20
Ill flame wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 8:29 pm I would also be interested in joining the A10 or big east too if they came calling. As much as I enjoy us dominating the asun at several sports. I think it'll be time to move on by 2023 when this will supposably happen.
The Big East is not going to come calling.
bluedevilflame liked this
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
hoop20 wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 3:31 pm
Ill flame wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 8:29 pm I would also be interested in joining the A10 or big east too if they came calling. As much as I enjoy us dominating the asun at several sports. I think it'll be time to move on by 2023 when this will supposably happen.

The Big East is not going to come calling.
While I agree with you in principle, I could see a scenario playing out. We continue our winning ways in basketball making the tournament every year between now and 2023, and we have a relationship with BE already in field hockey, assuming that JR and/or Ian have discussions with BE about what’s happening with ASUN and wanting to join BE, I am just saying I could see it play out. So no maybe they don’t call us but I could see us calling them.
By Ill flame
On a somewhat unrelated note. The Sunbelt and conference USA have 24 teams between them. They should take the 12 Eastern most teams and put them in one conference and put the other 12 in the other. There's no benefit at this point for both conferences to be so spread out in identical footprints. I would think schools would be happier that way
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Been super busy at work and now and sick so just getting caught up on this ASun business but I have no idea what they are even trying to do. Have we stumbled into a conference worse than the big south?
By Ill flame
ballcoach15 wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 7:47 pm Big East isn't good footprint for LU. Too many northern schools.
It's arguably the second best basketball conference this year. You would rather stay in the asun because the big east is a northern conference?
By LU 57
Lion1983 wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 2:59 pm There have been talk that the Easten schools from C-USA are tired of traveling West. Some of the Sun Belt is in the same boat.

Another aspect is that the Sun Belt and C-USA are basically the same footprint. Why have two conferences, at the same level, overall have the same footprint?

By joining with the ASUN, it makes a more Easterly conference. The remaining schools would be a more Western conference. There will be some overlap, but not much.

But you have to remember, this is exploration, nothing is set in stone and nothing may change. But on the other hand, it could change tremendously.

I do know for a fact, Ted Gumbart and I have been in contact in the past. I do know he has been diligent in exploring all facets of being able to maintain the current members by addressing all needs. If this wasnt part of the plan, UNA and Liberty would have never been invited or accepted an invitation from the ASUN. Gumbart knows that if something wasnt done, the conference would have more than likely folded. Then what do all the other schools do? That would have left everyone in a very bad position.
If they have schools and a TV deal lined up, who knows? I certainly am in favor of regional conferences that make more sense.
By Ill flame
Idk the validity of this guy but considering the current events surrounds bsu and the mwc I wouldn't be shocked if they left the conference and became independent in football. With a growing number of independents around the country it's probably more viable than anytime since the early 90's.
Liberty22 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: January 24th, 2020, 11:12 am Idk the validity of this guy but considering the current events surrounds bsu and the mwc I wouldn't be shocked if they left the conference and became independent in football. With a growing number of independents around the country it's probably more viable than anytime since the early 90's.
A quasi crazy idea would be to petition the NCAA to form a FB only conference made up of current or soon to be Independents. Provides lots of interesting scenarios
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
For some reason I am thinking that a new conference being formed must have atleast 8 teams. I like your list bluedevilflame, but we would either need to poach one from somewhere else or could this be an option for JMU as a football only conference or even North Dakota State? Imagine if we could add one more plus those 2 to make an even 10.
By Ill flame
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: January 24th, 2020, 2:15 pm For some reason I am thinking that a new conference being formed must have atleast 8 teams. I like your list bluedevilflame, but we would either need to poach one from somewhere else or could this be an option for JMU as a football only conference or even North Dakota State? Imagine if we could add one more plus those 2 to make an even 10.
Unless fbs is different, 6 is usually the minimum you need. Noone wants that few teams though.
I could see another team leaving/getting kicked out of mwc if Boise st leaves to get them to 10. Hawaii is kind of the odd team out and SDSU was going to follow Boise to the aac so I could see them testing independence.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: January 24th, 2020, 2:19 pm
bluedevilflame wrote: January 24th, 2020, 1:51 pm Here is what a potential football only conference could look like for us:

Army
BYU
Boise State
Liberty
UConn
UMass
NMSU
First three sure.

Last three no thanks.
Every Conference has its Haves and Have Nots
By bluedevilflame
Registration Days Posts
I may be nuts but I see a lot of upside with UConn long term. The first go around with Randy Edsall produced some solid seasons in the mid to late 00's, no reason they couldn't bounce back eventually. I'll still never understand why the ACC passed on them, seemed like a no brainer at the time.

3-2 Bowl record, including a Fiesta Bowl berth and 2 Big East championships between 2004-2010
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The ACC should have passed on Syracuse, Pittsburgh and Louisville, along with Notre Dame (non football sports.) I remember the former Big East when it had a berth in BCS bowls. Most everyone wanted to kick Big East out of BCS because they were weak. Then ACC comes along and invites them into conference. It's been watered down as a football conference since. And most other sports are slowly being watered down. The ACC should have ignored Big East.

If ACC had not merged with Big East, Miami, FSU, VT and Clemson would have combined to have ACC rival SEC in football today.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
bluedevilflame wrote: January 24th, 2020, 1:51 pm Here is what a potential football only conference could look like for us:

Army
BYU
Boise State
Liberty
UConn
UMass
NMSU
FBS does not allow football only conferences. Even if an NCAA exception was made, I'd prefer independence.

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. That's[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

If Cleveland isn't in gym everyday working on addi[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1782[…]