Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Since we’ve had a bunch of conference affiliation talk in other threads such as future schedules thread, etc I thought it’d be good to have its own thread for these discussions. Really this started cause I had nowhere else to post this. Should the AAC be considered nationally as a P6 like they market or will/should it remain P5 with AAC considered a G5?

Saw these as the final 2019 top 25 teams by conference.

1. Big 10...6 teams (3. Ohio State, 9. Penn State, 10. Minnesota, 11. Wisconsin, 15. Iowa, 18. Michigan)

2. SEC ...5 teams (1. LSU, 4. Georgia, 6. Florida, 8. Alabama, 14. Auburn)

3. AAC ...4 teams (17. Memphis, 20. Navy, 21. Cincinnati, 24. UCF)

4. Big XII ...3 teams (7. Oklahoma, 13. Baylor, 25. Texas)

5. PAC-12 ....2 teams (5. Oregon, 16. Utah)

6.MW....2 teams (22. Air Force, 23. Boise State)

7. ACC ....1 teams (2. Clemson)

8. IND ...1 teams (12. Notre Dame)

9. SB ....1 teams (19. Appalachian State)

10. ....0 teams (CUSA, MAC)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
That’s a great list. We are smarter for having read that.
IMO you have to look at it as a snap shot not a trend. ACC and Big 12 were way down this year The AAC is absolutely on the rise though no question. But they will never be a “P” always a “G” until the tides shift. The Blue Blood conferences aren’t eager to stead that moniker/wealth
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The AAC is better than the Big East was as a football conference and they were considered a power conference so I mean that really goes to show how much history plays into the P5 vs P6 argument.

I actually didn't realize the AAC finished with so many ranked teams and I would dare guess I am not alone in that.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 16th, 2020, 4:04 pm The AAC is better than the Big East was as a football conference and they were considered a power conference so I mean that really goes to show how much history plays into the P5 vs P6 argument.

I actually didn't realize the AAC finished with so many ranked teams and I would dare guess I am not alone in that.
Me either! That’s why I wanted to share that with everyone. Pretty impressive showing this year from them.
By BlueBlood
I'm not convinced that the AAC is quite as good as the pollsters make it out to be. Don't get me wrong - I like the AAC, I watch a lot of their games, and I actually wouldn't mind LU playing in it someday. I just think that voters like mixing in G5s for the sake of being inclusive and maybe to create a percieved fairness to the system. I get the feeling that voters fill in the first 15 to 17 spots on their ballot with the top teams, then from their down start thinking that they need to mix some G5 teams in.
Liberty22 liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote: January 16th, 2020, 3:53 pm Do you all think another year or 2 of sustained success for AAC schools having 4-6 ranked teams could lead to changing people’s minds?
Those 4 - 6 schools will need to be consistently beating P5 schools. For example USF/UCF will need to consistently beat Miami, Florida, FSU, etc..
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
BlueBlood wrote: January 16th, 2020, 5:07 pm I'm not convinced s the AAC is quite as good as the pollsters make it out to be. Don't get me wrong - I like the AAC, I watch a lot of their games, and I actually wouldn't mind LU playing in it someday. I just think that voters like mixing in G5s for the sake of being inclusive and maybe to create a percieved fairness to the system. I get the feeling that voters fill in the first 15 to 17 spots on their ballot with the top teams, then from their down start thinking that they need to mix some G5 teams in.
The Big 10 isn't as good as pollsters make them out to be. Every ranked team is over ranked. Has been for years .
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
BlueBlood wrote: January 16th, 2020, 5:07 pm I'm not convinced that the AAC is quite as good as the pollsters make it out to be. Don't get me wrong - I like the AAC, I watch a lot of their games, and I actually wouldn't mind LU playing in it someday. I just think that voters like mixing in G5s for the sake of being inclusive and maybe to create a percieved fairness to the system. I get the feeling that voters fill in the first 15 to 17 spots on their ballot with the top teams, then from their down start thinking that they need to mix some G5 teams in.
I could see that.
By Ill flame
The AAC still need to keep slowly improving to become a true p6 conference but I think they are closer to the p5 conferences than the g5 conferences.
Including bowl games the AAC finished with a respectable 9-15 record against p5 teams and 18-2 against g5 teams.
If you look at the individual games, it's clear to me that top AAC teams can regularly beat lower level p5 teams. Liberty should jump on this train if they can.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Am ... onferences
thepostman, LUOrange liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
That is great data @Ill flame and really kind of eye opening how bad the ACC is. Outside of Clemson, it just isn't very good and in my opinion the AAC is better at this point.

It just goes to show history plays a huge role and the minds of the leaders of college athletics.

Also welcome to the board @Ill flame , happy to have you!
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: January 17th, 2020, 8:56 am More context between conferences
Records vs p5 teams this year
BIG 10- 8-10
BIG 12- 7-8
SEC- 17-9
ACC- 6-19
PAC 12- 10-8

[https://www.colleyrankings.com/curconf.html
Welcome aboard! Also, according to Massey Ranking AAC is ranked ahead of the ACC this year.

SEC
Big 12
PAC 12
AAC
ACC
MW
SB
IND
CUSA
MAC

https://masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm
By BlueBlood
Ill flame wrote: January 16th, 2020, 10:31 pm If you look at the individual games, it's clear to me that top AAC teams can regularly beat lower level p5 teams. Liberty should jump on this train if they can.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_Am ... onferences
I agree with this. There is definitely an overlap at the G5 top/ P5 bottom.

And honestly, if you are a recruit who is being courted by perennial lower-tier P5s and perennial top-tier G5s, an argument can be made that the G5 schools might provide the more fulfilling experience. So, I'd expect the overlap to continue.

I'd love to see LU at this level.
By Ill flame
Not to mention the AAC champion has been in a NY6 bowl 4 of the last 5 years, winning half of them. Having a clear path to a NY6 bowl is a great recruiting tool and would provide the exposure/legitimacy that liberty is looking for.
Purple Haize liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I seem to recall Massey is a VT grad.

I agree with his conference rankings. I would have omitted Big 10 also, because they are grossly over rated every year (in every sport)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: January 18th, 2020, 6:56 am
Is “Massey” a synonym for Ballcoach?
Ballcoach said he wanted to get his own WEBSITE so we could PAY him to coach us all up. :typing :oldhag :usa
ballcoach15 liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]