Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By FlamesRise
Time to get this thread started, never too early. Halfway Flames fans were out on Twitter defending VT last night like they all were named Ballcoach. Not having it. BEAT TECH
By chris leedlelee
The game can't come soon enough, GO FLAMES! Really excited to see how the Hugh Freeze offense looks with Malik Willis under center.
By cruzan_flame13
FlamesRise wrote: January 15th, 2020, 9:35 am Time to get this thread started, never too early. Halfway Flames fans were out on Twitter defending VT last night like they all were named Ballcoach. Not having it. BEAT TECH
A lot of Flames alumni's are going to be halfway, especially if they are around these parts. They support the flames, but their heart will be for the team they've grown up liking/supporting. I for one loved the Wolverines growing up and wanted to go there. I didn't want to go to Liberty, but God has other plans. I definitely put my full attention on the flames a few years back because I attended this school and I finally came to my full senses about the mission of Liberty's athletic programs. It will take time for other alumni and locals to be all in for Liberty but it will take time and growth of generational support. We need to win games and even games where we are the underdogs.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Take it! And Ian might even write you a recommendation letter. :fineprint
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: January 15th, 2020, 1:53 pm Fuente is a leading candidate for the Baylor job. This could really upset the Hokies applecart.

I like Coach Fuente, but if he leaves, he will not have any trouble getting help loading the moving van, if you know what I mean.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Honeslty im surprised they cant do better than fuente. Hes on rocky ground at best at vt and who knows what this season will bring. Bud and loyal lieutenants are gone. Recruiting is way down.

If im fuente where do i sign. Baylor can be the number 2 team in big 12 year in year out and matt rhule already did the heavy lifting.

Im stunned but then when i remember most vt fans im not as stunned that they think vt is a better job than baylor. If the year was 2009 thats probably the case but rg3 briles and rhule changed all that. They arent far behind oklahoma if you watched those 2 games this year and rhule had to completely rebuild the program.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote: January 15th, 2020, 5:17 pm If Fuente doesn’t take the money and run, he’ll regret it after Freeze Beats him next season. :football
If the story is true and he doesn’t take it.....wow. Just wow
By LUAlum1215
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 15th, 2020, 10:23 am
FlamesRise wrote: January 15th, 2020, 9:35 am Time to get this thread started, never too early. Halfway Flames fans were out on Twitter defending VT last night like they all were named Ballcoach. Not having it. BEAT TECH
A lot of Flames alumni's are going to be halfway, especially if they are around these parts. They support the flames, but their heart will be for the team they've grown up liking/supporting. I for one loved the Wolverines growing up and wanted to go there. I didn't want to go to Liberty, but God has other plans. I definitely put my full attention on the flames a few years back because I attended this school and I finally came to my full senses about the mission of Liberty's athletic programs. It will take time for other alumni and locals to be all in for Liberty but it will take time and growth of generational support. We need to win games and even games where we are the underdogs.
It’s not even about being halfway, it’s about being honest about the quality of programs. The twitter debate referenced above started after the Jokers said VT isn’t a football school. That’s an incredibly foolish statement. Are they a top program powerhouse nationally? No, but without their football program they aren’t much of an athletics department as a whole.

Yes, I grew up a Hokie fan, and sure I hope they do well when they aren’t playing the Flames. But I couldn’t tell you the name of any starter nor any coach past Fuente now that Bud retired. I’m full fledged #GoFlames and always will be. I hope we hang 70 on the Hokies next season. But that doesn’t mean I/we can’t appreciate and respect the history and success of another program.
Geraldos Mustache liked this
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
The only time I ever cheered for Liberty over Tech was when we played them in tennis. I'll stick to that.
By FlamesRise
LUAlum1215 wrote: January 15th, 2020, 8:31 pm
cruzan_flame13 wrote: January 15th, 2020, 10:23 am
It’s not even about being halfway, it’s about being honest about the quality of programs. The twitter debate referenced above started after the Jokers said VT isn’t a football school. That’s an incredibly foolish statement. Are they a top program powerhouse nationally? No, but without their football program they aren’t much of an athletics department as a whole.
The thing is the take was bad enough that it was clearly a joke and troll to anybody not biased by Hokie lenses. There's no way that statement could thought to be true, and people stuck between LU and VT couldn't take two seconds to realize it was a joke. To Flames fans only, I'd say it was quite obvious. It's how the Jokers roll and they did it exceptionally well even with something so dumb, in my opinion.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
1slimmaroon wrote: January 16th, 2020, 11:22 am Per ESPN and Fuente's Twitter: Justin Fuente is staying at Tech.
It's hard for me to even imagine that Baylor offered him. That is a VERY attractive job. They can certainly do much better than Fuente, and no doubt will.
By tyndal23
I thought the Matt Rhule hire was idiotic - bringing in an east coast guy who doesn’t run a spread ( which every HS kid in TX runs and entire roster was from TX ). Tuned out pretty good for them.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: January 16th, 2020, 11:39 am
1slimmaroon wrote: January 16th, 2020, 11:22 am Per ESPN and Fuente's Twitter: Justin Fuente is staying at Tech.
It's hard for me to even imagine that Baylor offered him. That is a VERY attractive job. They can certainly do much better than Fuente, and no doubt will.
I’m with you. I think he’s staying because he wasn’t offered.
By chris leedlelee
Purple Haize wrote: January 16th, 2020, 1:35 pm I’m with you. I think he’s staying because he wasn’t offered.
Baylor got the LSU defensive coordinator, which is definitely seen as the best possible hire given the stage in the coaching carousel cycle.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 16th, 2020, 1:35 pm
oldflame wrote: January 16th, 2020, 11:39 am
I’m with you. I think he’s staying because he wasn’t offered.
That is my read too.
By Geraldos Mustache
What is a realistic number of LU fans to travel to Blacksburg for the LU - VT game?
What would be a "good showing" for Liberty?
By Geraldos Mustache
alabama24 wrote: January 18th, 2020, 4:17 pm
Geraldos Mustache wrote: January 18th, 2020, 3:33 pm What would be a "good showing" for Liberty?
1,000?
It's a 90 minute drive from Lynchburg to Blackburg. I would hope we could get 2500 students there plus Virginia area LU alumni. With 15,000 LU students on campus - would think we could get a strong turnout if they start hyping the game at Convocation and set some expectations with our students.

Would also hope LU has a database of LU alumni living in the state of VA and start marketing the game to them offering ticket package deals.

I think the goal should be 5000 fans in attendance.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
We had much more than 1000 last time. I would have guessed 3000 to 3500. We had one entire section filled upper deck which is 2500 i believe plus half of the lower and another 500 or so dispersed among the crowd.

Ive been to wake unc ncst vt uva games of ours and uva this past year was the worst weve had to me. Felt like a ton at state back in the day and unc.

I don't know if it's changed since I went but the […]

Some statistics

Our team ERA currently sits at #78 nationally. Our[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Agree. I’ll add to that- I think we’[…]

G5 Playoff Only

There are some rumblings among the AD’s of G[…]