Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Geraldos Mustache
How many season ticket holders does LU have at Williams Stadium?
You would think we could get 50% or more of them to travel 90 minutes to Blackburg, right?
By Class of 20Something
Geraldos Mustache wrote: January 18th, 2020, 4:55 pm How many season ticket holders does LU have at Williams Stadium?
You would think we could get 50% or more of them to travel 90 minutes to Blackburg, right?
You're also asking those same people that bout flames club and season tickets too. I'll have 5 season tickets in 204 next year. I'll be forking over for multiple basketball season tickets too. Looking at two P5 road trips is going to be pricy but I'm budgeting for it. VT and NCSU are too close not to go.
Geraldos Mustache liked this
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Tech only offers a certain amount of tickets to visiting fans. The best shot for LU to draw that many fans is to get tickets from Tech season ticket holders--who may be saving their energy for Penn State the next week--on the secondary market.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 8:22 pm Check out how many VT players entered the Transfer Portal tonight. Wow.
Not sure which resource you are referring to but they do have a lot going out. Just checked 247 transfer portal and it shows 11 guys going out and 2 RB coming in.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Something fishy going on up there. After reading the article, the thought crossed my mind that they could have saw their spot on depth chart, and were encouraged to go.

(I still maintain that this transfer portal is going to ruin football and softball. Other sports are not as bad..................yet.)
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
BC, honest question: do you think it’s right for coaches to be honest with players about their chances of playing time in an effort to help them go elsewhere to play more, if that’s what they wish?
By chris leedlelee
R i wrote: January 22nd, 2020, 8:22 pm Check out how many VT players entered the Transfer Portal tonight. Wow.
Opening day upset in the works?? Similar to how Baylor had a tough offseason then suffered an opening day defeat at LU. :lol:
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 11:09 am BC, honest question: do you think it’s right for coaches to be honest with players about their chances of playing time in an effort to help them go elsewhere to play more, if that’s what they wish?
If I "looked hard enough" I might could see a player who is buried on end of bench. But many of the players transferring are starters, especially QBs, and softball players. I could take all the softball players who transfer each year, put them on a team and make NCAA tournament.
I think most coaches are honest to players about playing time. It's one thing for a 3rd stringer to transfer, but when starters transfer, there's a problem.
Risewithus, JK37 liked this
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 1:05 pm
JK37 wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 11:09 am BC, honest question: do you think it’s right for coaches to be honest with players about their chances of playing time in an effort to help them go elsewhere to play more, if that’s what they wish?
If I "looked hard enough" I might could see a player who is buried on end of bench. But many of the players transferring are starters, especially QBs, and softball players. I could take all the softball players who transfer each year, put them on a team and make NCAA tournament.
I think most coaches are honest to players about playing time. It's one thing for a 3rd stringer to transfer, but when starters transfer, there's a problem.
I know hardly anyone here agrees with you on this but still needs to be said, if your head coach can bail for greener pastures so should the SA be able to, starter or not.
Purple Haize liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 1:05 pm
I actually agree that when starters transfer, there’s a problem. Going further, I believe that anytime someone transfers, SOMEONE has a problem.

Question is, when a STARTER transfers, What people or things that could be the problem? Just because a kid is starting and then transfers doesn’t mean that he/she is the problem.

Would you agree?
By Class of 20Something
What about players that chose a school because of the HC style of play? Let's say Lincoln Riley. Some 4 or 5 star chooses to play for the QB whisperer. Can anyone say Midas if the Heisman? They commit and he bails for an NFL job or for someone like Auburn, Florida, USC or FSU.

Most of us in life would be better suited choosing our boss rather than a company. Why do we expect elite players to be any different?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Sometimes, I think it's the result of "backdoor" or unethical recruiting by the gaining school. In other words, a street agent contacts the player and probably "greases his palm", and directs his transfer. Similar to the basketball violations involving shoe companies that FBI got involved with. Those schools were paying big bucks for recruits, and NCAA hasn't punish any of them yet.
Too many ranked schools are signing transfer QBs. This raises a red flag that NCAA should be able to see. The days of signing a QB out of high school and developing him, are almost a thing of the past.
This QB that left Wake Forest and went to Georgia, I hope he don't complete a pass for Georgia.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 4:22 pm What about players that chose a school because of the HC style of play? Let's say Lincoln Riley. Some 4 or 5 star chooses to play for the QB whisperer. Can anyone say Midas if the Heisman? They commit and he bails for an NFL job or for someone like Auburn, Florida, USC or FSU.

Most of us in life would be better suited choosing our boss rather than a company. Why do we expect elite players to be any different?
I have never seen a uniform or helmet with the Coaches name on it. It's the school who is paying his scholarship. (now at some rogue programs, it could be the coach.)
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 4:30 pm
Class of 20Something wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 4:22 pm What about players that chose a school because of the HC style of play? Let's say Lincoln Riley. Some 4 or 5 star chooses to play for the QB whisperer. Can anyone say Midas if the Heisman? They commit and he bails for an NFL job or for someone like Auburn, Florida, USC or FSU.

I have never seen a uniform or helmet with the Coaches name on it. It's the school who is paying his scholarship. (now at some rogue programs, it could be the coach.)
You really think the majority of players are chosing the school not the coach? Coaches don't even matter then. In that case, you have even less credibility than you claim. That's your favorite bona fide.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 4:30 pm

This is where you are completely and totally out of touch. 95% of athletes come to a school because of a coach. Period. All the other things are nice and certainly help but if there is a distrust or no chemistry with the coach then they ain’t coming.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Believe vt is up to 14 in the portal plus the te going to the draft and 1 rb i believe. 6 wrs. Wow
Liberty22 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: January 23rd, 2020, 10:50 pm Believe vt is up to 14 in the portal plus the te going to the draft and 1 rb i believe. 6 wrs. Wow
There’s a story there. Not sure what it is.
Could be Fuentes is cleaning house
Could be Fuentes isn’t as good as people thought
Personally I’m 70% A 30% B. I think he might run a tighter ship than Frank and Bud did. BUT that’s a lot of Offensive players leaving
Liberty22 liked this
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
I know this doesn’t mean we go up there and upset them but I like what I am seeing haha
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Some of them are being pushed out but 1 of the wrs was a 4 star with offers from bama and lsu and was one of their best frosh and another was the top returning wr.

I believe they had as many last year as well. You would think u might see some defensive attrition with bud and the long time dl coach gone not offense. What i hear on offense is the wrs dont feel like they are being prepped for nfl. Too many sweeps and bubble screens and apparently they fired the wr coach who was very popular due to a disagreement with fuente?
By DestinationBass
My wife and I are planning on at least VT and NC State for road trips...so you can add us to that number.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

When you have a chance to pick up a talent like th[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]