Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By CCWMichael
Bowl season also equals paychecks. We do not need to share with 11 other teams which can be good or bad.
Rutgers even gets a share from the Big 10 as they are part of the conference that gets paid. We are paid direct.
Is a pool better or indy, who knows?
Anyway, my best research which may not be then most accurate it looks like we should have pulled in close to 800,000.
Anybody else with some accurate information on this?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I believe our travel and hotel for team and band reduces our profit.

I seem to recall one year that VT lost money on a bowl game after expenses, and UVA who did not go to a bowl, "made money".
By DestinationBass
When you consider bussing a ton of students down and lodging them for basically what the ticket cost and the charter flight there is no way LU made ANY money....but money isn’t really the biggest need of the school at present. [Good] press is much more valuable. As far as on the athletics side, building a fan base should be where their focus lies. That was my issue with the $45 Syracuse tickets. Making them more affordable like the other games would have potentially sold out Williams...of course with that showing by the offense I don’t know that it would help to have a sold out stadium.
By gerb
I believe bowl payouts go to the conference and split among members unless you are an indy and can keep it all.

Also was nice to see LU having the only team logo on the field at this cure bowl. Gsu was stuck with a Sunbelt logo only. This drove their fans nuts. :D
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Unlike Ballcoach, I bought the $150 ticket that came with the full buffet in the sky box. The food was amazing--jumbo shrimp, baked chicken, BBQ pork, hamburger sliders, hot dogs, fresh fruit and vegetables, desserts, and sodas, lemonade, and even a full bar of adult beverages (I drank canned lemonade).

All told, with gas, hotel suite, tickets, and meals, I dropped about 6 bills, but being there for LU's first bowl experience (and getting a pic with Morgan Hout) was worth every penny!

I even watched the game again on TV on Christmas Day with Mrs. Cider.
Last edited by Cider Jim on December 26th, 2019, 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Purple Haize, LU 57, CCWMichael and 1 others liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: December 26th, 2019, 4:28 pm Unlike Ballcoach, I bought the $150 ticket that came with the full buffet in the sky box. The food was amazing--jumbo shrimp, baked chicken, BBQ pork, hamburger sliders, hot dogs, fresh fruit and vegetables, desserts, and sodas, lemonade, and even a full bar of adult beverages (I drank canned lemonade).

All told, with gas, hotel suite, tickets, and meals, I dropped about 6 bills, but being there for LU's first bowl experience (and getting pic with Morgan Hout) was worth every penny!

I even watched the game again on TV on Christmas Day with Mrs. Cider.
And this is why there are Bowl Games. No one can ever take that experience or those memories from you. I’m glad you got to do all those things!
ballcoach15, alabama24 liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 26th, 2019, 4:27 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: December 26th, 2019, 4:18 pm I read somewhere that in 2020, there may be some additional bowl games, added to the bowl calendar.
It was mentioned in the article I posted earlier....
It’s obvious who does and who does not have any SMGT experience :D
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I didn't get to Orlando in time for the Battle of the Bands and ASOR get together on Friday night, but I did go to the indoor tailgate party at Harry Buffalo's, which was a 2-story restaurant in downtown Orlando and EVERYONE was wearing LU red--even the servers! And everyone who entered got a coupon for a free appetizer. I sat at a tall table with 4 members of the Old Men's Club (including Ballcoach).

We were over 10 hours from Lynchburg, and I have never seen so many LU fans in a restaurant in my life, and I've been following LU football since 1985.
Last edited by Cider Jim on December 26th, 2019, 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ballcoach15, Liberty22, Purple Haize and 4 others liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 26th, 2019, 4:27 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: December 26th, 2019, 4:18 pm I read somewhere that in 2020, there may be some additional bowl games, added to the bowl calendar.
It was mentioned in the article I posted earlier....

That's where it was. I have read a lot today, and couldn't recall.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: December 26th, 2019, 5:00 pm I didn't get to Orlando in time for the Battle of the Bands and ASOR get together on Friday night, but I did go to the indoor tailgate party at Harry Buffalo's, which was a 2-story restaurant in downtown Orlando and EVERYONE was wearing LU red--even the servers! And everyone who entered got a coupon for a free appetizer. I sat at a tall table with 4 members of the Old Men's Club (including Ballcoach).

We were over 10 hours from Lynchburg, and I have never seen some many LU fans in a restaurant in my life, and I've been following LU football since 1985.
Twice as far from Orlando to Lynchburg, than Orlando to Statesboro yet we had more fans than GS.
By gerb
Coincidence that Houston Nutt got the pre and postgame gig for CBS for Freeze’s first bowl game back?

Suspect CBS was hoping for some headline comments from Nutt. Instead the unemployed college coach got to watch Freeze kiss the Cure Bowl trophy.

Also that flamed out color commentator Murray seems better suited to staring on the bachelorette like his brother.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 26th, 2019, 5:04 pm
Twice as far from Orlando to Lynchburg, than Orlando to Statesboro yet we had more fans than GS.
Liberty had a great turnout at the Cure Bowl. We did not have more fans than Georgia Southern. Do you just make stuff up?
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote: December 26th, 2019, 8:46 pm
Liberty had a great turnout at the Cure Bowl. We did not have more fans than Georgia Southern. Do you just make stuff up?
All the time. You new here?

(I know you are not.)
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 26th, 2019, 1:45 pm I believe our travel and hotel for team and band reduces our profit.
Hold the phone.

Do you mean to tell me that overhead reduces net profit?!

(I love you, BC. Don’t ever change!)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Well, it’s from #fraudcoach so.....
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts

If GS had more fans than LU, some of them must have been down the street at Camping World Stadium. They were not in Exploria Stadium. Everyone I have talked with who was at game, says we had more. Everyone I have
talked with who saw game on TV, said it appeared LU had more.
Or maybe a lot of GS fans wore red.
By chris leedlelee
What were the official numbers of tickets sold for LU and Georgia Southern? I know attendance was 18,000 total, which is very respectable for a small bowl game.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]