Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Not sure what your beef is with Mack sstaedtler. Pointing out a fumble that wasn't even called is really bending over backwards to be critical. He had one actual fumble all year, the first time he had carried the ball in a game in almost 2 years. He didn't drop a pass all year. I loved me some Frankie Hickson, but you certainly could not say that about him. I don't expect Josh to be a 20 carry a game guy, and I really haven't heard anyone else suggest that either. I think he and either Pickett or Boyd will handle the "heavy lifting" with Shedro and Henderson as change of pace options.
oldflame wrote: January 14th, 2020, 5:42 am Not sure what your beef is with Mack sstaedtler. Pointing out a fumble that wasn't even called is really bending over backwards to be critical. He had one actual fumble all year, the first time he had carried the ball in a game in almost 2 years. He didn't drop a pass all year. I loved me some Frankie Hickson, but you certainly could not say that about him. I don't expect Josh to be a 20 carry a game guy, and I really haven't heard anyone else suggest that either. I think he and either Pickett or Boyd will handle the "heavy lifting" with Shedro and Henderson as change of pace options.
Do you trust Mack to be able bounce runs outside? I don't think he is a capable runner outside the tackles or a very good pass catcher. I love him running up the middle, burning the clock, between the tackles. Hickson could do both, which made him special. Now maybe other backs can run outside, I just haven't seen it yet.
sstaedtler wrote: January 18th, 2020, 3:51 pm
oldflame wrote: January 14th, 2020, 5:42 am Not sure what your beef is with Mack sstaedtler. Pointing out a fumble that wasn't even called is really bending over backwards to be critical. He had one actual fumble all year, the first time he had carried the ball in a game in almost 2 years. He didn't drop a pass all year. I loved me some Frankie Hickson, but you certainly could not say that about him. I don't expect Josh to be a 20 carry a game guy, and I really haven't heard anyone else suggest that either. I think he and either Pickett or Boyd will handle the "heavy lifting" with Shedro and Henderson as change of pace options.
Do you trust Mack to be able bounce runs outside? I don't think he is a capable runner outside the tackles or a very good pass catcher. I love him running up the middle, burning the clock, between the tackles. Hickson could do both, which made him special. Now maybe other backs can run outside, I just haven't seen it yet.
As I said before, I was a big fan of Frankie, but as far as dependability and production in the passing game is concerned, Mack was a lot better last year. Mack led our backs in receiving yards and did not drop a pass all year. Frankie dropped 2 that would have been sure TDs and a couple of others as well. Mack may not be quite as explosive running outside, but he will be fine. I expect him to start, but other guys will get some carries too.
jinxy liked this
sstaedtler wrote: January 18th, 2020, 3:51 pm
Again, I think we have bigger peices to be concerned about. But in terms of Mack 2019, he outperformed Hickson in every category, regardless of the teams we played. None of our competition was very impressive on either side of the ball.

I think the biggest benefit that Mack provided to BS was his pass blocking ability & willingness. Something Hickson avoided. BS felt more confident in the RPO passing with Mack than he did with Hickson. This is probably why Hickson had 50+ more carries than Mack. With 50 additional carries, you can show a lot more ability.

But it's not about the fanfare...it's about production! Derrick Henry is a big, strong production back that does not need to rely on jukes to get production. Mack is big, strong back that can carry guys down the field for production, if needed. I checked out his UMaine film, and he looked pretty explosive to me.

I think we will see a great season of production from Mack and the other backs as well! LET'S THINK POSITIVE!!!
A couple questions concerning the projected depth chart

1. Where is Kidd Glass. (Transfer from NC State) You would think a starter at safety or linebacker with his size. Starter at NC State Did he leave town?
2. No Maisen Knight. I thought was projected last year as a starter. 3 star recruit from JUCO. May he is not as good as projected?
3 I would think RB Henderson would get mention as a backup to Mack and Pinckett
4 I would put Butler over Jenkins at LB. Maybe he has to prove himself first
Stevev wrote: February 6th, 2020, 1:27 pm A couple questions concerning the projected depth chart

1. Where is Kidd Glass. (Transfer from NC State) You would think a starter at safety or linebacker with his size. Starter at NC State Did he leave town?
2. No Maisen Knight. I thought was projected last year as a starter. 3 star recruit from JUCO. May he is not as good as projected?
Great questions.

1. Kidd-Glass could very well end up a starter on this team. From what I heard in the fall, I'm taking a wait and see approach on him. Spring ball will be a great barometer for where he is.
2. I thought Maisen Knight would be a starter in 2019 but he couldn't crack the 2-deep and now we've brought in Bryce Mathews.
3. Henderson and Shedro Louis both have a great chance to get reps at RB. I just didn't want to go 4-deep at one position in this depth chart.
4. Look at the quotes Freeze had for Butler yesterday (story coming this afternoon on that in more detail). Needing to prove himself is a good way to put it.
chris leedlelee liked this
A Sea of Red wrote: February 6th, 2020, 2:07 pm
Stevev wrote: February 6th, 2020, 1:27 pm A couple questions concerning the projected depth chart

Great questions.

1. Kidd-Glass could very well end up a starter on this team. From what I heard in the fall, I'm taking a wait and see approach on him. Spring ball will be a great barometer for where he is.
2. I thought Maisen Knight would be a starter in 2019 but he couldn't crack the 2-deep and now we've brought in Bryce Mathews.
3. Henderson and Shedro Louis both have a great chance to get reps at RB. I just didn't want to go 4-deep at one position in this depth chart.
4. Look at the quotes Freeze had for Butler yesterday (story coming this afternoon on that in more detail). Needing to prove himself is a good way to put it.
You DO have some players on your depth chart who we know a lot LESS about than we do Kidd-Glass. He's listed at 6'1" 210 on the roster, which is bigger than some of our LBs already, and putting on another 10 lbs or so shouldn't be a problem if that's what the coaches want. Considering the depth at safety, if I were a betting man, my $$ is on Kidd-Glass ending up at Will LB, and likely as a starter. It would go a long way toward solving what looks to be the most glaring weakness on the roster.
Last edited by olldflame on February 7th, 2020, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
As far as Butler is concerned, HF said something you almost never hear about a player these days. "He needs to get in shape" With the emphasis that is placed now on being in top condition 365 days a year and the availability of the means to do it, that's a pretty unusual comment.
oldflame wrote: February 7th, 2020, 9:12 am As far as Butler is concerned, HF said something you almost never hear about a player these days. "He needs to get in shape" With the emphasis that is placed now on being in top condition 365 days a year and the availability of the means to do it, that's a pretty unusual comment.
HF made similar type remarks about QB not hitting the film room. I think that's HF knowing what buttons to push on different players to movative them. Some likely need a private word some need a public word.
oldflame wrote: February 7th, 2020, 9:07 am
A Sea of Red wrote: February 6th, 2020, 2:07 pm

Great questions.

4. Look

You DO have some players on your depth chart who we know a lot LESS about than we do Kidd-Glass. He's listed at 6'1" 210 on the roster, which is bigger than some of our LBs already, and putting on another 10 lbs or so shouldn't be a problem if that's what the coaches want. Considering the depth at safety, if I were a betting man, my $$ is on Kidd-Glass ending up at Will LB, and likely as a starter. It would go a long way toward solving what looks to be the most glaring weakness on the roster.
I see him moving to LB as well. Out of necessity.
Mack's load will depend on 2 factors: 1. How many carries our QB will take whether it be read options or called qb runs. 2. The way the game plays out. If I had to predict I would say on average 15 carries a game. He averaged 10 carries a game for 59.5 yards per game. If he continued that production of yards per carry which was 5.9 for 15 carries through 13 games then he would run for over 1,100 yards. Mack will be productive.
If stricker is ready this is a good thing. Dude missed just about every fg that mattered and quite a few xps. He bolstered his percentage by making a lot of easier kicks in low pressure spots. I would guess he was about 35 percent on kicks that really mattered.
A Sea of Red wrote: February 10th, 2020, 5:08 pm Alex Probert has entered the transfer portal

https://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-k-ale ... er-portal/
I’m just here waiting for ballcoach to condemn this move. It’s another indication of LU contributing to the destruction of college football
How many football gurus recall the LU player WHO TRANSFERED TO ALABAMA a few seasons back ?

I have been too busy with softball to pay much attention to football for past 10 days. I am sure Purple has been busy with girl's basketball, during same time.
ballcoach15 wrote: February 10th, 2020, 7:10 pm How many football gurus recall the LU player WHO TRANSFERED TO ALABAMA a few seasons back ?

I have been too busy with softball to pay much attention to football for past 10 days. I am sure Purple has been busy with girl's basketball, during same time.
He was a 'long snapper"!
ballcoach15 liked this
Chippy wrote: February 10th, 2020, 7:26 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: February 10th, 2020, 7:10 pm How many football gurus recall the LU player WHO TRANSFERED TO ALABAMA a few seasons back ?

He was a 'long snapper"!
Yes. I can't remember the name, but he went to HS powerhouse Hoover in Alabama before signing with us. After a year, he transferred back home as a walk-on for the Tide.
He sounds like a good guy, but we aren't going to miss him from a football perspective. As someone has already commented, he left a lot to be desired, when it came to pressure kicks.
Good luck to him in the future. Hope he finds a great place to land, where he can contribute in a great way.
jinxy liked this
I don't recall reading anything about his transferring, but Sean Queen is no longer on the roster. Good move for him to transfer if he wants to play college football, because he was hopelessly buried on the depth chart. Parents are both Liberty alums, so it's also possible he has just decided to hang up the cleats. I really expect 2 or 3 more who are in similar situations to transfer unless they really break out in Spring practice.
Some statistics

After doing some checking, I discovered that in […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Just remember that fine academic institution, L[…]

DOE Report

Looks like the DOE is getting warmed up... Gra[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]