Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

LUDad wrote: December 27th, 2019, 1:19 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 26th, 2019, 3:12 pm Why have we been so much worse at returns the last couple years? We had a run from like 06-13 where our return game was pretty strong.
It's all about depth. We are not playing fcs schedules anymore. While we may have had enough talent to win some fbs games, in others, we run out of gas middle of 3d-4th qtr. because starters wear down. We may have a talented returner but we also need talent blocking for him. As we start stacking better recruiting classes we will have better athletes on special teams to block and tackle. Then I think we will see some dramatic gains in this arena.
This makes a lot of sense. Thanks for the answer.
I like stubbs but not at pr. Hes muffed a ton of kicks!! Also weve let kicks go and cost us field position and fair caught kicks we should have let go and then when we return its virtually nothing. If im looking at problem areas going into 20 i rank it like this (just specific trouble positions).

Qb
Pr
K
LU 57 liked this
Very worried if Mack is our lead back. Against Georgia Southern, he was 11 for 25 yards. He's not shifty like Hickson and to be honest, he's been a bit of a fumbler. He fumbled against GA. Southern and was lucky whistle blew. Fumbled on 1st game of year vs. Syracuse when going in for a score. And he's not great on anything pitched out wide or as a receiver out of the backfield. Him stumbling on a pass out of the backfield really hurt us vs. BYU. I think he's a one dimensional back whose good trying to burn out the clock late in straight ahead running.
ballcoach15 wrote: December 27th, 2019, 7:03 pm We do need to make better decisions on fielding punts.
It's been a major problem since Kevin Fogg graduated. Zac Parker and Damien King were threats, but made too many mistakes, mainly letting balls hit the ground and roll, but their were muffs/fumbles too. For a while there Gill went to BJ Farrow, who was not really much of a threat to make big plays, because he was the "safe" option. Even he made way too many mistakes. Stubbs has had the job over Louis this year for the same reason and with similar results. They need to open it up this Spring and look at all options. Ke'Trel Clark was an outstanding PR in HS, and personally I like the idea of having a DB back there as opposed to an offensive player, or why not try Malik Willis? Great athlete who as a QB, should be a good decision maker. If nobody clicks, then I say go with the biggest home run threat, which would probably be Shedro.
sstaedtler liked this
ballcoach15 wrote: December 28th, 2019, 4:18 pm You don't want your QB returning punts. Or your backup QB returning punts.
Speak for yourself. If the guy who can catch those punts on the fly and prevent them from rolling down field happens to be a QB, I'm going to give serious consideration to putting him back there. Running back punts is not nearly as risky as kickoffs. Nothing like the number of high speed collisions, and the rules protect the returner.
ballcoach15 wrote: December 30th, 2019, 12:39 pm I don't recall if it has been posted anywhere on here, but I just reviewed NCAA Stats. We were dead last in the nation on punt returns. Averaged 0.53 yards a game. Basically we had no punt return game at all.
19 returns for a total of 10 yards. How is that even possible? Wow.

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs ... team/97/p3
sstaedtler wrote: December 24th, 2019, 10:19 pm I don't like Mack as the starting RB. He's good at running up the middle, but running to the outside or catches passes outside for him are very difficult. I like him as a change of pace back, but I want someone more like Hickson with a little more wiggle.
I was at the CURE Bowl and got a chance to talk to a few players, including Mack. The kid is at least 210lbs. He said he was 208 when I asked him. I think our data is outdated. I can't understand your chip with this kid??? "Running to the outside or catches passes outside for him are very difficult" Where did you come up with this stuff? The kid led the RBs in receiving and had over 1000 all purpose yards. HE CAUGHT EVERY PASS THIS SEASON! I can't understand why you are trying to discredit the kid??? Hickson had his good qualities as well. But I will take a big power RB who can catch the ball over a smaller "wiggle" back all day at the FBS level. HCHF knows what he needs to do to get the best out of all his players, and I see Mack as an asset that will only get better!

Are there any other players that have been projected as starter that you have a problem with???
sstaedtler wrote: December 28th, 2019, 12:52 pm Very worried if Mack is our lead back. Against Georgia Southern, he was 11 for 25 yards. He's not shifty like Hickson and to be honest, he's been a bit of a fumbler. He fumbled against GA. Southern and was lucky whistle blew. Fumbled on 1st game of year vs. Syracuse when going in for a score. And he's not great on anything pitched out wide or as a receiver out of the backfield. Him stumbling on a pass out of the backfield really hurt us vs. BYU. I think he's a one dimensional back whose good trying to burn out the clock late in straight ahead running.
I think you a worrying about the wrong things. Fumble at SU first game of the season, after sitting out a year, does not constitute a "fumbler." Did not fumble for the remaining 11 games. I didn't see the fumble at the CURE Bowl...last game of the season. Are you really being honest? LU did not do much with pitches outside this season. But I saw him take a pitch outside in the NMSU game for 50-60 yards. Did you see the game? Once again, he also led the RBs in receiving yards with no drops. So are you really being honest? Don't get me wrong, there is room for improvement and I'm sure HCHF will get it done. But I think you are giving Mack a "bad rap" unfairly and unnecessarily! The kid has nothing but upside potential. Coaching staff know what they need to develop in Mack, and I'm sure they will.

On the other hand, I'm more concerned about how the QB room will play out. Regardless of who's in the backfield, if the leader can't make the right decisions, the offense will stall. What is your opinion on the QB situation-depth chart?
jinxy, michaeleyou liked this
oldflame wrote: December 28th, 2019, 1:00 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: December 27th, 2019, 7:03 pm We do need to make better decisions on fielding punts.
It's been a major problem since Kevin Fogg graduated. Zac Parker and Damien King were threats, but made too many mistakes, mainly letting balls hit the ground and roll, but their were muffs/fumbles too. For a while there Gill went to BJ Farrow, who was not really much of a threat to make big plays, because he was the "safe" option. Even he made way too many mistakes. Stubbs has had the job over Louis this year for the same reason and with similar results. They need to open it up this Spring and look at all options. Ke'Trel Clark was an outstanding PR in HS, and personally I like the idea of having a DB back there as opposed to an offensive player, or why not try Malik Willis? Great athlete who as a QB, should be a good decision maker. If nobody clicks, then I say go with the biggest home run threat, which would probably be Shedro.
I agree with Shedro. He was impressive in return game. Clark was also outstanding in HS. I'm sure the special team coaches will make this a key area of focus. We really need to address decision making in the return game. There were a far more poor decisions than we needed that costed us big. I'm looking forward to an all-around much better team in 2020!
Spirits will be even higher for coaches and players!
LUDad wrote: December 27th, 2019, 1:19 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 26th, 2019, 3:12 pm Why have we been so much worse at returns the last couple years? We had a run from like 06-13 where our return game was pretty strong.
It's all about depth. We are not playing fcs schedules anymore. While we may have had enough talent to win some fbs games, in others, we run out of gas middle of 3d-4th qtr. because starters wear down. We may have a talented returner but we also need talent blocking for him. As we start stacking better recruiting classes we will have better athletes on special teams to block and tackle. Then I think we will see some dramatic gains in this arena.
LUDad is spot on. you could have a Usain Bolt/Devin Hester freak of athletics fielding kicks back there but without those other 10 guys up front, all you are gonna do is run a 4-2-4.4 right into a pack of defenders. Im curious to see what kind of numbers we put up come around 2023 or 2024 once Hugh Freeze is using all his guys
On the other hand, I'm more concerned about how the QB room will play out. Regardless of who's in the backfield, if the leader can't make the right decisions, the offense will stall. What is your opinion on the QB situation-depth chart?
[/quote]

I am excited about the QB room. We should have a QB that is a threat to run the ball, which will also help the passing game. The defense will have to respect the QB run, rather than "going after the QB" in the pocket. Calvert was really never a running threat at all .

Look at UVA this past season. They had a QB who could run. They managed to win 7 or 8 games. Without Perkins running ball they might have beaten William and Mary.
LibertyMan wrote: January 11th, 2020, 4:20 pm
sstaedtler wrote: December 24th, 2019, 10:19 pm I don't like Mack as the starting RB. He's good at running up the middle, but running to the outside or catches passes outside for him are very difficult. I like him as a change of pace back, but I want someone more like Hickson with a little more wiggle.
I was at the CURE Bowl and got a chance to talk to a few players, including Mack. The kid is at least 210lbs. He said he was 208 when I asked him. I think our data is outdated. I can't understand your chip with this kid??? "Running to the outside or catches passes outside for him are very difficult" Where did you come up with this stuff? The kid led the RBs in receiving and had over 1000 all purpose yards. HE CAUGHT EVERY PASS THIS SEASON! I can't understand why you are trying to discredit the kid??? Hickson had his good qualities as well. But I will take a big power RB who can catch the ball over a smaller "wiggle" back all day at the FBS level. HCHF knows what he needs to do to get the best out of all his players, and I see Mack as an asset that will only get better!

Are there any other players that have been projected as starter that you have a problem with???
It is almost like you are taking this personally. I like Mack. I think he has an important role. But I don't think he can do all things required of a lead running back. The BYU screen where he couldn't get his balance and get going forward killed our last drive. He fumbled several times. His patient style can be good, but sometimes you have to be able to juke defenders. Who did he get his yards against?

Syracuse 2 carries, 2 yards and a fumble.
BYU, 12 carries, 40 yards, 3.3 average
Virginia, 3 carries, 10 yards.
Georgia Southern, 11 carries, 25 yards.

His two biggest yardage games were vs. New Mexico State. In these 4 games above, he had 5 catches for 15 yards total. I just think you need more explosion sometimes.
LibertyMan wrote: January 11th, 2020, 4:44 pm
sstaedtler wrote: December 28th, 2019, 12:52 pm Very worried if Mack is our lead back. Against Georgia Southern, he was 11 for 25 yards. He's not shifty like Hickson and to be honest, he's been a bit of a fumbler. He fumbled against GA. Southern and was lucky whistle blew. Fumbled on 1st game of year vs. Syracuse when going in for a score. And he's not great on anything pitched out wide or as a receiver out of the backfield. Him stumbling on a pass out of the backfield really hurt us vs. BYU. I think he's a one dimensional back whose good trying to burn out the clock late in straight ahead running.
I think you a worrying about the wrong things. Fumble at SU first game of the season, after sitting out a year, does not constitute a "fumbler." Did not fumble for the remaining 11 games. I didn't see the fumble at the CURE Bowl...last game of the season. Are you really being honest? LU did not do much with pitches outside this season. But I saw him take a pitch outside in the NMSU game for 50-60 yards. Did you see the game? Once again, he also led the RBs in receiving yards with no drops. So are you really being honest? Don't get me wrong, there is room for improvement and I'm sure HCHF will get it done. But I think you are giving Mack a "bad rap" unfairly and unnecessarily! The kid has nothing but upside potential. Coaching staff know what they need to develop in Mack, and I'm sure they will.

He fumbled vs. Georgia Southern when we were in field goal range but got very fortunate the refs said they blew the whistle, though on replay, it looked questionable. Mack tries to break tackles downfield and still keep going and going...often this is good, but since he is not exceptionally fast it can lead to possible fumbles. If Mack goes down, who will our lead RB be?

Overall, I agree, I am far more concerned with who the quarterback is. I just would rather see a mix of RB's than give the ball to Mack 20 times a game.
ballcoach15 wrote: January 3rd, 2020, 10:40 pm I seem to recall a couple of good punt returns that were called back due to penalty.
Both against FCS Hampton. One by Louis and one by Stubbs. Also a TD KR by Louis was called back in the same game. Looking at the season as a whole, this was more indicative of how bad Hampton was on coverage than anything we did.
sstaedtler liked this
2024 Recruiting Discussion

It’s the common conversation on here. Trash[…]

G5 Playoff Only

There are some rumblings among the AD’s of G[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]