Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Logic wrote: December 24th, 2019, 5:22 pm 4 Star Recruit
Auburn Transfer
Liberty Fans: Not convinced
As many would say..typical Liberty
He transferred from Auburn after not playing so there's not a lot to say he's a great FBS QB. He was a high 3 star out of high school but I think our expectation going forward is to have multiple 3 star QBs (we will have 3 on the roster). I'm sure the team and coaches have seen what he can do so he very well may be great, and it sounds like some are saying he is.

If so, wonderful! I wasn't taking shots at the kid. I just was asking if people have heard more that indicates he's the clear starter over other players like Jonathan Bennett.
By LUOrange
Geraldos Mustache wrote: December 24th, 2019, 2:05 pm QB play is a key factor for every football team at every level.
There were no QBs selected in the 2020 recruiting class.
I have a high level of trust in HC Freeze.
Therefore, I have to feel very good about Malik Willis to lead the team in 2020.

The stable of QBs HC Freeze inherited includes:
> Brandon Robinson (RS-Soph)
> Landon Brown (RS-Junior) only played QB in his senior year of HS
> Johnathan Bennett (Soph) 3-star
> Will Bowers (Soph)

Who is the next man up after Willis at the QB position? I don't know anything about these guys other than what can be read on their bios online.
We just signed Sean Brown a 3 star QB from the Raleigh, NC area, and Maine grad transfer Ben Ferguson.
By tyndal23
Really curious to see what Shedro can do at RB - love his speed and balance and feel like he will get many more touches at RB than he would at WR if he picks it up well in camp.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 24th, 2019, 10:29 pm Willis looks awfully shifty in those clips.
Wow, at first read I did not see the letter F in that word. I was like dang, we going there :P
cruzan_flame13, LU 57 liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: December 24th, 2019, 6:41 pm Really curious to see what Shedro can do at RB - love his speed and balance and feel like he will get many more touches at RB than he would at WR if he picks it up well in camp.

To the best of my knowledge, Shedro Lewis is still a WR/KR. The player who was moved to RB is Treon Sibley.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: December 25th, 2019, 1:43 am
To the best of my knowledge, Shedro Lewis is still a WR/KR. The player who was moved to RB is Treon Sibley.
ASOR ran an article, oldflame, saying that Shedro Louis would be a running back for us next year, and they quoted HF.

https://www.aseaofred.com/everything-hu ... ing-class/
By LUOrange
Cider Jim wrote: December 25th, 2019, 8:56 pm
ASOR ran an article, oldflame, saying that Shedro Louis would be a running back for us next year, and they quoted HF.

If you watch the post_Cure Bowl press conference wuth the players and Freeze that Manson & Co. posted to the home page, Freeze confirms Shedro is moving to RB next season. There's going to be a real log jam at WR that redshirts will only help so much with, which is a good thing.

While at RB, Mack is clearly the starter to me, but his style is more straight up power and speed, we're going to miss more of Hickson's speed, finesse, and agility. He was much better at getting into tght spaces, picking up yards where there wasn't any to be had. Hopefully Henderson, Boyd, and/or Shedro can fill that role some, or at least as a Dave Meggett type 3rd down back.
sstaedtler liked this
By Geraldos Mustache
tyndal23 wrote: December 24th, 2019, 5:24 pm Pretty impressive HS hudl - hardly any once he gets to Auburn.
His run ability is very attractive. So excited to have a dual-threat QB in Liberty's system.
Great film at the HS level is one thing. The field of talent is so crowded at the D-1 collegiate level, however. We've all seen amazing HS talent - head and shoulders above their peers, who go off to college and simply don't produce. Willis is that guy at Auburn but hopefully has rebirth at Liberty and steps into his full potential.

There was an amazing dual-threat QB at Aurora Christian here in Illinois who played at NIU but never came out on top in the QB competition there. His senior year highlight video was one of the best I had ever seen but couldn't break through at a mid-major like Northern Illinois. Kid was repping 315 lbs on the bench and ran like a deer. If you like eye-popping highlights, enjoy this...

Fun watching passes caught by #82 Chad Beebe (son of HC Don Beebe of Bills/Packers). Chad is now on the Vikings roster. Beebe, Maddie and two others ended up going to NIU from this small private Christian school with only 300 kids in it.
By LibertyMan
LUOrange wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 10:55 pm QB will definitely be interesting next year with Willis, JB, Ferguson, Sean Brown, Pops, Landon Brown, and Van Dellan. Although, I would guess Sean Brown red shirts unless he really impresses.

RB will also be a huge hole and question mark with Hickson gone. There were a few games early on, that I questioned why Mack didn't get more carries as he was the better back in those games. But as the season progressed, Hickson was clearly the better back. The Bowl game was a prime example, as Hickson (IMO) ran better against GASO, as we saw in the opening drive of the 2nd half. We obviously, have Mack back. How good will Henderson and Shedro be? I'd like to see Boyd get more carries again.
The spring game will be interesting and fun.
LUOrange...I don't understand your need to compare Hickson with Mack, but for the record I checked the data on Hickson and Mack and here are the facts:

Hickson 187 att, 1047 yard, 12 tds, 5.6 ypc...11 rec for 96 yards.
Mack 133 att, 774 yard, 7 tds, 5.8 ypc...13 rec for 177 yards

Although both backs had really good seasons, I would give the edge to Mack because Hickson had 54 more carries than Mack. Mack had a better ave at 5.8 ypc. Statistically speaking, give Mack 54 more carries and he would have potentially earned 313 more yards at a minimum which would have put his total 1087+. Statiscally, Mack had a better season than Hickson, all things considered! Mack was also much better catching the ball. So I don't know how you reached your conclusion!

CURE Bowl featured Hickson more due to last game I'm sure. Mack was in on passing plays and Hickson got twice as many carries. No real game changer!

I anticipate Mack and Boyd will be the 1...2 combination next season, with Pickett being used the same as this season. But I think Mack is going to be extremely productive next season in a true HCHF RPO offense. He will be older and more experienced!

The Spring game will be interesting!
ballcoach15 liked this
By LibertyMan
LUOrange wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 10:55 pm QB will definitely be interesting next year with Willis, JB, Ferguson, Sean Brown, Pops, Landon Brown, and Van Dellan. Although, I would guess Sean Brown red shirts unless he really impresses.

I don't understand the Ferguson addition from Maine. I wonder if his relationship with Mack influenced his decision to come to Liberty? I know he has siblings here, but do he really think he's going to beat out Willis of JB? I don't know???
By LibertyMan
LUOrange wrote: December 25th, 2019, 10:32 pm
Cider Jim wrote: December 25th, 2019, 8:56 pm

If you watch the post_Cure Bowl press conference wuth the players and Freeze that Manson & Co. posted to the home page, Freeze confirms Shedro is moving to RB next season. There's going to be a real log jam at WR that redshirts will only help so much with, which is a good thing.

While at RB, Mack is clearly the starter to me, but his style is more straight up power and speed, we're going to miss more of Hickson's speed, finesse, and agility. He was much better at getting into tght spaces, picking up yards where there wasn't any to be had. Hopefully Henderson, Boyd, and/or Shedro can fill that role some, or at least as a Dave Meggett type 3rd down back.
Mack showed us his impressive footwork, vision and agility in the last NMS game and a few others. Again, Mack got 54 less carries and if you watched the RPO decision making by BC, he preferred passing the ball when Mack was in the game because Hickson was not very good at pass blocking. That won't happen next season!

I like Shedro as a "slot back," but I am concerned that he may have a fumble issue with contact coming out of the backfield...
By sstaedtler
Mack piled up his stats on weaker teams. You can't take 5 seconds to hit the hole when playing Georgia Southern, BYU, etc...Hickson was muck faster to the hole and much more elusive. The screen to Hickson killed us vs. BYU on last drive because he could not make a guy miss. He takes too long to get going. Don't get me wrong, he has a valuable role, but the difference between the two was apparent vs. GA. Southern.
LUOrange liked this
By LibertyMan
sstaedtler wrote: December 30th, 2019, 10:35 pm Mack piled up his stats on weaker teams. You can't take 5 seconds to hit the hole when playing Georgia Southern, BYU, etc...Hickson was muck faster to the hole and much more elusive. The screen to Hickson killed us vs. BYU on last drive because he could not make a guy miss. He takes too long to get going. Don't get me wrong, he has a valuable role, but the difference between the two was apparent vs. GA. Southern.
Yeah I hear ya, but it'shard to get a production back going when you only give em 11 carries and you run by committee. It became very situational. If Mack piled up most his stats on weaker teams, then Hickson should have piled up more against those same teams. Reality check, most of the teams were equally matched in talent. If you use your argument you can conclude the AGG did not do well against weaker teams. I think the situation is much different than that. I just think you give Mack 20+ carries per game, he has the strength and ability to put up huge numbers. Against GS, Hickson got twice as many carries. When you are a smaller back you have to be elusive! Both guys had really good seasons!

It will be interesting to see how Mack and the rest of the RB core improves during the off season and spring training. It should be a real testament to the coaching ability of RB coach Bruce Johnson. They can only get better for next season!
I just think we are going to see a lot more production from Mack next season, under a true HCHF system!

I really more interested in seeing how the QB situation pans out. This is a room that has many questions...I don't understand the Ferguson aquisition. I believe HCHF recruited Mallik Willis to play his senior year. He won't be sitting the bench unless he gets injured. The question is "who will be his backup?" I'm looking forward to next season
ballcoach15 liked this
By cruzan_flame13
LibertyMan wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 1:34 am
sstaedtler wrote: December 30th, 2019, 10:35 pm Mack piled up his stats on weaker teams. You can't take 5 seconds to hit the hole when playing Georgia Southern, BYU, etc...Hickson was muck faster to the hole and much more elusive. The screen to Hickson killed us vs. BYU on last drive because he could not make a guy miss. He takes too long to get going. Don't get me wrong, he has a valuable role, but the difference between the two was apparent vs. GA. Southern.
Yeah I hear ya, but it'shard to get a production back going when you only give em 11 carries and you run by committee. It became very situational. If Mack piled up most his stats on weaker teams, then Hickson should have piled up more against those same teams. Reality check, most of the teams were equally matched in talent. If you use your argument you can conclude the AGG did not do well against weaker teams. I think the situation is much different than that. I just think you give Mack 20+ carries per game, he has the strength and ability to put up huge numbers. Against GS, Hickson got twice as many carries. When you are a smaller back you have to be elusive! Both guys had really good seasons!

It will be interesting to see how Mack and the rest of the RB core improves during the off season and spring training. It should be a real testament to the coaching ability of RB coach Bruce Johnson. They can only get better for next season!
I just think we are going to see a lot more production from Mack next season, under a true HCHF system!

I really more interested in seeing how the QB situation pans out. This is a room that has many questions...I don't understand the Ferguson aquisition. I believe HCHF recruited Mallik Willis to play his senior year. He won't be sitting the bench unless he gets injured. The question is "who will be his backup?" I'm looking forward to next season
Willis has two years of eligibility. I was also confused about the Ferguson addition to the team. It's going to be very interesting to see what occurs during the off season since Freeze's system is much quicker. to be honest, I will not be surprise to see a some players transfer for that reason and also being placed at the bottom of the depth chart.
By sstaedtler
I am not sure whether to be excited or concerned about Ferguson add. Doesn't Freeze see Willis in practice every day? Shouldn't he know what he has and is the Ferguson add because he is concerned about Willis? Or it is just a smart depth move. Hard to say.
By LUOrange
I don't think anyone, myself included, is hating on Mack. He's clearly the front-runner to be the starting/featured back next season. What I'm saying is that I believe Hickson was clearly the better back. And that in most of the games I thought Hickson should've got more of the carries than he did. He was clearly more effective against BYU and GASO. Those games specifically stand out to me. I like Mack and believe he'll do better next year as well.

The Ferguson transfer befuddled me as well. Although, I do believe that Freeze will always sign the best talent available, regardless of position. I think he's already said that. He does make a good insurance policy as a backup in case JB's rehab doesn't go as planned. I've never seen him or Maine play (other than last October), but statistically he's thrown almost as many INT's as TD's. I believe Willis has to be the frontrunner. Either way, i can't wait for FB season already.
By chris leedlelee
LUOrange wrote: January 2nd, 2020, 10:09 pm I don't think anyone, myself included, is hating on Mack. He's clearly the front-runner to be the starting/featured back next season. What I'm saying is that I believe Hickson was clearly the better back. And that in most of the games I thought Hickson should've got more of the carries than he did. He was clearly more effective against BYU and GASO. Those games specifically stand out to me. I like Mack and believe he'll do better next year as well.
While clearly having greater physical tools than Hickson, Mack lacked the downhill style of Hickson. To truly be efficient in a lead role, Mack will have to hit the hole harder instead of moving horizontally in the field looking for a big play. I'm sure the coaching staff will push this during the offseason for him.
LUOrange liked this

If the new players picks up on the pack line defen[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]