Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
sstaedtler wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 2:05 pm
thepostman wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 6:15 pm It'll be interesting to see how Malik Willis will fit into the offense. He seem custom made for Freeze's offense. 7-5/8-4 seems like decent expectations for this team.
Judging from some clips I saw of him, his speed, running ability, and even his arm look good. I have questions about his accuracy though.
He can be coached up
sstaedtler liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 10:53 am
ballcoach15 wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 10:42 pm VT will be good next season. I am glad we have them first game. On their 2 deep chart for UVA game, there was only 1 senior, if my memory is correct.
Remind me. How did they do in that game? Of course, they will also have this year's recruiting class. How did that go? 14th rated out of 14 in the ACC? never mind.
BC — He’s saying that returning most from a 2-deep that couldn’t even beat the BooHoos isn’t saying much.

He’s also saying their recruiting class absolutely SUCKED relative to the rest of the ACC, so that 2-deep isn’t getting a lot of immediate help.

Very winnable game. VT sucks.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think LU can beat VT. I also think VT will be the most improved team in ACC next season. I also think LU will be the most improved independent team.

I don't recall saying anything about VT recruiting class.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 8:52 pm I think LU can beat VT. I also think VT will be the most improved team in ACC next season. I also think LU will be the most improved independent team.

Ball coach, love ya bro, but I will have whatever your having, unless it is eggnog, can't go there.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 8:52 pm I think LU can beat VT. I also think VT will be the most improved team in ACC next season. I also think LU will be the most improved independent team.

You also said VT would be UVA and we saw how that worked out.

You aren't exactly an unbiased source on just about anything. Which is fine but it would be awesome if you just admitted you have zero ability to look at things in an unbiased way.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
For the record. I picked UVA to lose every game, other than their FCS opener.

But UVA has nothing to do with LU @ VT in September
By JK37
Registration Days Posts

VT should improve. After that historic loss to UVA, nowhere to go but up!

You didn’t have to say anything about recruiting; Oldflame did. 14th out of 14 in ACC. Help is not on the way.

VT is not headed in the right direction. When LU smacks them in the opener, it’ll only be worse!

VT sucks!
By LUOrange
QB will definitely be interesting next year with Willis, JB, Ferguson, Sean Brown, Pops, Landon Brown, and Van Dellan. Although, I would guess Sean Brown red shirts unless he really impresses.

RB will also be a huge hole and question mark with Hickson gone. There were a few games early on, that I questioned why Mack didn't get more carries as he was the better back in those games. But as the season progressed, Hickson was clearly the better back. The Bowl game was a prime example, as Hickson (IMO) ran better against GASO, as we saw in the opening drive of the 2nd half. We obviously, have Mack back. How good will Henderson and Shedro be? I'd like to see Boyd get more carries again.
The spring game will be interesting and fun.
Kricket liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote: December 23rd, 2019, 10:55 pm QB will definitely be interesting next year with Willis, JB, Ferguson, Sean Brown, Pops, Landon Brown, and Van Dellan. The Spring game should be a lot of fun. Although, I would guess Sean Brown red shirts unless he really impresses.
Good post. Everyone is talking about Willis, but I'm not sure why everyone is so sold. Maybe someone could enlighten me, but I haven't seen him throw the ball at all yet.

This is more my preference but I'm pulling for Jonathan Bennett simply because he seems like a leader and a kid I'd like to represent Liberty. I'm not saying Willis isn't, but he just seems like an unknown commodity to me at this point.
By Man_the_kay
I am really looking forward to see who is going to be our starting QB.

The main reason why I thought Willis is that he was recruited by Freeze.
And JB, he had committed during Gill's era.

But whoever becomes our QB, I am happy to see those guys and the competition!!
Kricket liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
That's a good point. For Willis to transfer from Auburn, you gotta believe he thought he had a good shot at starting right away.
By LUOrange
You've got to think Willis is the front runner- 4 stars out of high school and coming from Auburn. He had to have had his eyes on 2020 because of Buckshot in front and there was no way the NCAA would approve his waiver. That said, you'd also think that JB would be right behind Willisl. To me, Ferguson and Sean Brown are the unexpected curve balls. I'm not sure what I think of Pops and Landon, and I'm intrigued by Van Dellan. It should be an interesting and fun QB competition.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Not that it makes much of a difference but I think Willis was a high 3 star coming out of high school.

viewtopic.php?t=26564

I agree that he's the most likely, but I'm still holding out until I see more.
By Dalegarz1
8-4 record. I was talking with the father of a current junior offensive lineman starter. For what it's worth, he was gushing about Willis. Apparently he has seen him practice and said the players are amped up over having him as QB. Time will tell.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Geraldos Mustache
QB play is a key factor for every football team at every level.
There were no QBs selected in the 2020 recruiting class.
I have a high level of trust in HC Freeze.
Therefore, I have to feel very good about Malik Willis to lead the team in 2020.

The stable of QBs HC Freeze inherited includes:
> Brandon Robinson (RS-Soph)
> Landon Brown (RS-Junior) only played QB in his senior year of HS
> Johnathan Bennett (Soph) 3-star
> Will Bowers (Soph)

Who is the next man up after Willis at the QB position? I don't know anything about these guys other than what can be read on their bios online.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
If I were to predict the QB depth chart for 2020 it might look like this:

QB1 - Malik Willis(Jr.)
QB2A - Chris Ferguson (Grad Transfer)
QB2B - Johnathan Bennett (R. Fresh.)
QB3 - Brandon Robinson

Malik Willis will be the starter unless injury happens.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote: December 24th, 2019, 12:46 pm 8-4 record. I was talking with the father of a current junior offensive lineman starter. For what it's worth, he was gushing about Willis. Apparently he has seen him practice and said the players are amped up over having him as QB. Time will tell.
I have heard through the grapevine similar high accolades for Willis from a current player. To the effect that he may be the best athlete to ever play here.
Kricket, ballcoach15 liked this
By Logic
4 Star Recruit
Auburn Transfer
Liberty Fans: Not convinced
As many would say..typical Liberty
By Jonathan Carone
tyndal23 wrote: December 24th, 2019, 5:24 pm Pretty impressive HS hudl - hardly any once he gets to Auburn.
That’s why it’s a bit unknown. I think it’s less about not thinking he can be that four star out of high school but since we don’t have game experience to point to, it’s hard to set expectations too high. The potential is absolutely there though.
Kricket liked this
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Logic wrote: December 24th, 2019, 5:22 pm 4 Star Recruit
Auburn Transfer
Where was he ranked 4 star?
By tyndal23
Logic wrote: December 24th, 2019, 5:22 pm 4 Star Recruit
Auburn Transfer
3 * not 4.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Our offense will be better in 2020, than 2019, if skill guys stay healthy. We will have good balance with run vs pass. With a QB who is a threat to run, we will give defenses trouble. No longer will defenes be able to pin ears back and go after QB. Sacks and hurried passes will now be turned into positive yards. Moving the chains.
Geraldos Mustache liked this
Election 2022 and 2024

A congresswoman from a blue state gets you nothi[…]

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]

DOE Report

Gotta love presidential election season :roll: