Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By LU 57
I think we will find a way to knock off one of the P5s. Not sure if it will be Syracuse or N.C. State but I think HCHF and team get it done.

Would love for it to be Tech even though the Hokies are my other team. Total game changer in recruiting.
sstaedtler liked this
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
I'd be happy with 7-5 and a higher tier bowl game to show progress. We are going to replace a lot of production this year so we will see how the coaching staff deals with that. the only game I disagree on is the Southern miss game. Looking at that roster they are bringing back some production from a pretty good year. Their 3,300 yard QB is a senior next year as well as their leading receiver, RB and tackler. I think it will be a good game but we will be young at some key positions and they will be experienced. I'm expecting 7-5 and a bowl. anything less will not be progress.
sstaedtler liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
It'll be interesting to see how Malik Willis will fit into the offense. He seem custom made for Freeze's offense. 7-5/8-4 seems like decent expectations for this team.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Losing Buckshot and AGG, I expect us to take a step back next season. 6-6, no bowl game. I'll love it when the pessimist in me is proven wrong again :lol:
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
I want to be where app is in the next 5-10 years. I think thats a pretty doable goal. Get ranked. play in a bowl that isn't played before Christmas (yes I know app already played but thats the best bowl they are tied to and a great one at that) and start gaining some national recognition. you could tell from the broadcast team and studio guys last night that we have a long way to go til people consider us a respected program. Yesterday was a great start to getting to that goal. but we've got some time to get there.
thepostman liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
There has been a lot or talk on twitter from Liberty fans complaining about the Georgia Southern bias in the studio yesterday on CBS SportsNet. Aside from the awful aaron murray take, I am not sure what people expected. We are an unknown program at this point and it'll take time for national media outlets to give us much respect.

If we can build on our success next season, that'll go a long way in changing that national perception.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think we will be better next season, on both sides of the ball.

I hope we get bowl game and play P5 team from SEC, ACC or Big 12.
LUOrange liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
It’s conceivable LU could have the same record next year. Yet be a better team
ballcoach15, sstaedtler liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
We should win at least 8 games next year. We will be a better and more explosive team next year with Willis as QB. We’ll have more depth at every position on the defensive side of the ball as well.
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 8:10 pm It’s conceivable LU could have the same record next year. Yet be a better team

Very true.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I trust freeze and austin a ton but im gonna have to see it from willis to believe it. Ballah, didnt u say before you werent sure you would even take him when he first announced lol.

Hopefully we can look back and appreciate what buck did eventually because what he was good at he was really good. We all know his weaknesses but i wouldnt assume the passing game is going to be as good. We will certainly add the qb run element and i wouldnt count out jb yet either.

It looks like weve plugged most of the other pressing holes with grad transfers and jucos that should be ready to go. The wr group is dynamic but super young.

If we get qb play and thats a big if and if we can land a few more key pieces in recruiting like another juco lb brian merritt hobbs (yes ive come around on him) and maybe a juco ol then yes i can see 7 to 8 wins. But if qb play is suspect 4 or 5 wins is certainly possible.

Heres to freeze and austin getting the top 3 qbs ready to go and filling the last 4 spots in recruiting strong.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
VT will be good next season. I am glad we have them first game. On their 2 deep chart for UVA game, there was only 1 senior, if my memory is correct.
By CCWMichael
My Kool Aid or whatever it is I am swallowing tells me game 1 is one we can take with new talent on the field. Hard to prepare for game 1 and even though VT has a new motivator I am betting on ours.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Jonathan Carone
Next year is really hard to gauge. We could be better with the same record or even a worse record. Overall, the newcomers are more talented than the guys graduating, but you can’t replace experience right away. It’s all going to be dependent on how well the new guys develop.

As for automatically assuming the offense will be better with a new QB - it has potential to be very dynamic with a dual threat guy running a true RPO game, but I think we’ve taken for granted how great our offense has been when it was clicking. Inexperienced quarterbacks bring potential for good, but they also bring the possibility of bad. I’m hopeful it’ll be very good, but I can’t set high expectations on quarterbacks who have never started a game.
thepostman, LUOrange liked this
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Substituting UCONN for UVA on schedule should get us to 8 wins even though we will graduate 6 starters on offense (Hickson, AGG, Buck and Duff among others) and 6 on D (Lemonier, Ajaayi, Benton Tillmon among others).
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 10:42 pm VT will be good next season. I am glad we have them first game. On their 2 deep chart for UVA game, there was only 1 senior, if my memory is correct.
Remind me. How did they do in that game? Of course, they will also have this year's recruiting class. How did that go? 14th rated out of 14 in the ACC? never mind.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
What are you trying to say ?

(several people on this board need to be "coached up" on Xs and Os, so they can talk sports, instead of trying to play psychology.)
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 6:35 pm There has been a lot or talk on twitter from Liberty fans complaining about the Georgia Southern bias in the studio yesterday on CBS SportsNet. Aside from the awful aaron murray take, I am not sure what people expected. We are an unknown program at this point and it'll take time for national media outlets to give us much respect.

If we can build on our success next season, that'll go a long way in changing that national perception.
During the pregame show, all 3 announcers picked Georgia Southern.

But during CBS's sports show the day before the game, all 3 announcers picked LU to win. :)
So at least we're already getting some respect.

Link:
thepostman liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
That pre game show was an embarassment to cbs. That was the d or f list cast. Murray is a complete moron and offered nothing. Houston nutt obviously has bad blood with freeze. Hes an even worst analyst than he was coach. Carter was just boring but compared to the others was the best

It all starts and stops with qb. If we get the qb play we need we will be fine. All the acc games are winning. Vt is reeling in recruiting, bud is gone and a couple of his long time assts have left the program even before the bowl game (charlie wyles) ive seen atleast 2 757 hs coaches declaring they wont send players to vt on twitter. Something has been going on there between bud and fuente for a while and it must have finally blown up. Syracuse, i mean we saw how we stack up against them and i expect a better game. State wasnt any good and doren will be on the hot seat.
LUOrange liked this
By sstaedtler
VTech loses their defensive coordinator but in players they lost almost no one. Going to be a tough game to win.
The Syracuse and NC State games are quite winnable.
Western Kentucky will be tough, and so will Southern Miss. At least we get Southern Miss at home.
I thought at UConn might be tough, but they lost a ton of players to transfers.
FIU, at Bowling Green, and ULM, you'd have to think we win 2 of 3.

A ton depends on what happens at quarterback. I think we will be OK at WR. I do think losing Hickson in the backfield will hurt. While the secondary will be better, I'd love to get another LB and DT.
By sstaedtler
thepostman wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 6:15 pm It'll be interesting to see how Malik Willis will fit into the offense. He seem custom made for Freeze's offense. 7-5/8-4 seems like decent expectations for this team.
Judging from some clips I saw of him, his speed, running ability, and even his arm look good. I have questions about his accuracy though.
By sstaedtler
thepostman wrote: December 22nd, 2019, 6:35 pm There has been a lot or talk on twitter from Liberty fans complaining about the Georgia Southern bias in the studio yesterday on CBS SportsNet. Aside from the awful aaron murray take, I am not sure what people expected. We are an unknown program at this point and it'll take time for national media outlets to give us much respect.

I didn't really have much of a problem with anything CBS did. The play by play guys were fine. Yes, Aaron Murray seems to have a bit of bias against Liberty, and you could make the case the pre-game show spent much more time on Georgia Southern. But overall, I'm nitpicking. I loved at the end of the game hearing the CBS theme music with Liberty players and coaches celebrating on the field.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]