Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 24th, 2019, 11:39 am I wonder how many fans were at the very first Liberty game (Lynchburg Baptist College) and the first bowl game ? I only know of 3.
There were at least 4:
1. JFL, Jr.
2. Elmer Towns
3. Terry Falwell
4. Ballcoach

(And I'm not positive about #2 at the original game, but he was definitely at the bowl game).
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 24th, 2019, 12:12 pm I had no idea ballcoach was at the first game. Out of curiosity ballcoach, have you taken any classes at Liberty?
No, but I have walked through several classrooms with LU's Tour Guide, while a class was in session.
DestinationBass liked this
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 24th, 2019, 12:16 pm
thepostman wrote: December 24th, 2019, 12:12 pm I had no idea ballcoach was at the first game. Out of curiosity ballcoach, have you taken any classes at Liberty?
No, but I have walked through several classrooms with LU's Tour Guide, while a class was in session.
:lol: Give this man a degree
ballcoach15 liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach has also been tutored for years by LU's Honors Director and Quiz Bowl coach. Study :oldhag
LU 57, ballcoach15 liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 24th, 2019, 11:39 am I wonder how many fans were at the very first Liberty game (Lynchburg Baptist College) and the first bowl game ? I only know of 3.
I know one.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 24th, 2019, 5:26 pm Did flameshaw make it down? I think he’d fit that bill.

Kevin Keys also was at both.
Yes, I did make it down. Kevin Keys was at both games. I know of 2 others that were teammates on the first team, David Neff and Charles Hardage made it to Orlando. Terry F has a friend, Rick Peloni, who might have been to both games. That is all I can think of right now. I know the bowl game was the most exciting LU football event, I have ever been to and I have seen most, in person or on TV.
Don't know if Coach Hout was mentioned or not, but he was at both.
Blessed. I am hoping I can make it to 2023 for the 50th anniversary game.
Thanks for the mention JC. Proud to be a small part of building the foundation of LU sports.
Last edited by flameshaw on December 24th, 2019, 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LU 57, thepostman liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: December 24th, 2019, 9:35 pm the bowl game was the most exciting LU football event, I have ever been to and I have seen most, in person or on TV.
The only one I would compare it to would be the ‘94 MBB final over Campbell. I watched that and this one on TV. For me, I can’t say definitively if one is significantly better than the other.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 24th, 2019, 10:13 pm
flameshaw wrote: December 24th, 2019, 9:35 pm the bowl game was the most exciting LU football event, I have ever been to and I have seen most, in person or on TV.
The only one I would compare it to would be the ‘94 MBB final over Campbell. I watched that and this one on TV. For me, I can’t say definitively if one is significantly better than the other.
Interesting that you should say that. I was at the game in N Charleston in 94 as well. We were talking on the way back home from Orlando, which one was the best event. I cannot decide. Both had great atmosphere and both were big "firsts" for the University.
I would hate to live off the difference between the two.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 24th, 2019, 10:08 pm
thepostman wrote: December 24th, 2019, 5:53 pm I had no idea Kevin had been around the program for that long.
First full-time athletics support staff employee in history of the school.
I knew he had been on staff for a long time but didn't not realize it had been that long. Wow!
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: December 24th, 2019, 10:32 pm
JK37 wrote: December 24th, 2019, 10:13 pm
Interesting that you should say that. I was at the game in N Charleston in 94 as well. We were talking on the way back home from Orlando, which one was the best event. I cannot decide. Both had great atmosphere and both were big "firsts" for the University.
I would hate to live off the difference between the two.
I was at the bowl game and the MBB game in ‘94. Both were exciting for different reasons. in ‘94, the majority of the fans were students. The bowl game had people from all generations that came from all over.

I think the MBB NCAA win against Mississippi State earlier this year is a 3rd Liberty sports event that is uniquely special. Whether you experienced it in person, watched it from the Vines Center with 4,000 of your friends or watched it on TV, that night the buy-in to LU MBB was solidified.

Great time to be a Flame!
alabama24, tyndal23, flameshaw and 1 others liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: December 24th, 2019, 10:36 pm
JK37 wrote: December 24th, 2019, 10:08 pm
thepostman wrote: December 24th, 2019, 5:53 pm I had no idea Kevin had been around the program for that long.
First full-time athletics support staff employee in history of the school.
I knew he had been on staff for a long time but didn't not realize it had been that long. Wow!
77-85 full time. Then left until ‘05. Has been back at LU since ‘05.
thepostman liked this
By DestinationBass
I would have to give this season an A-. It should probably be a little lower than that but I’m still looking at it through Cure Bowl pink colored glasses. Rutgers hurt but they were just stronger than us up front. Got to chat with some old guy who looked like a fat Robert De Niro at the game though. BYU was right there for us and Syracuse I really think would have been a different game if not for HCHF missing pretty much all of fall camp. I had plenty of people (UVA and VT fans) telling me how fun bowl games are....but I still didn’t have any idea how awesome it would be until now. I can’t wait for bowl game #2!
flameshaw liked this
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I give it a B+. We slightly exceeded expectations (well mine at least) for wins in a season, won a bowl game on our first try (I loved HCHF's pregame speech...that had me all sorts of fired up at work) and laid some very good groundwork for next year in recruiting. The schedule gets a bit tougher next year, but 7-8 wins is still within the realm of possibility even with Willis or Bennett (depending on how he does in recovery and rehab) and Pop as the third and someone we can bring in for some different looks.

As I said before, this is a special time at a special place for us.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The Cure Bowl was all about helping those with cancer, and LU's Game On did a wonderful feature about two LU football players who reached out to a former LU ladies' basketball player's son who has cancer. This is definitely worth watching.

ballcoach15, Purple Haize, rtb72 and 1 others liked this
By sstaedtler
I'd give the season a B+. It was closer to a C+ but the grade goes way up with the bowl with vs. Georgia Southern, a top 60 team. And we get revenge on the Sun Belt conference. The one stain for me was the one game I went to, losing at Rutgers and giving up 44 points. I look forward to next year where the schedule gets a bit tougher. This year was tough as a fan with 6 games against New Mexico, New Mexico State twice, UMass, and 2 FCS schools. Nearly half of the game were hard to get excited about. Next year, we simply have the 2 FCS schools and UMass, but have replaced the 3 other games with better opponents.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 25th, 2019, 8:34 am
Wasn't the first football game in 1973? Was Kevin Keys here then, too?
By tyndal23
Season was perfect in that we qualified and went to a bowl and didn’t beat a P5 with a half FCS roster but also didn’t lose to a Bottom 10. ( and therefore didn’t creat unreasonable expectations for where we are as a program or have a cringe worthy loss ) No serious threat of losing Head coach to a 1 and done which would have been a killer for us at this stage.
LU 57, chris leedlelee liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: December 27th, 2019, 1:56 pm
JK37 wrote: December 25th, 2019, 8:34 am
Wasn't the first football game in 1973? Was Kevin Keys here then, too?
He was a freshman that Fall.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]