Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: January 14th, 2020, 5:29 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: January 14th, 2020, 3:59 pm My opinion is based on data. Study
Let’s see it
Get a copy of all Big 10, Big 12 and PAC 12 schools' schedule and copy of SEC schools' schedule
Then compare with "Little 3" conferences with SEC.

As for Liberty, right now we just need to beat whoever is on our schedule and not worry about its strength. As we grow as a FBS school, we need wins and bowl games. We can worry about SOS later.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
That isn't data ballcoach, that is just comparing schedules and then making your own opinion bases on personal biases.

I do agree with you on the merch opportunity being missed by the bookstore. I'm kind of surprised they don't at least have shirts in the bookstore.
thepostman wrote: January 14th, 2020, 7:48 pm That isn't data ballcoach, that is just comparing schedules and then making your own opinion bases on personal biases.

I do agree with you on the merch opportunity being missed by the bookstore. I'm kind of surprised they don't at least have shirts in the bookstore.
They had shirts but have sold most of the inventory.
thepostman liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 15th, 2020, 8:01 pm Google is my friend.
Cider Jim would fail you. He’s shown you 100 times how to post links.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Anyone else read this garbage article from collegefootballtalk? Just a few highlights.

“ The entire experience was not unlike the Flames season: disjointed, a bit bizarre and still not convincing anybody outside of their own fan base of its validity.

“ While Liberty certainly did everything in their power to win the game, that didn’t mean they weren’t helped along by a Georgia Southern team that didn’t come close to playing their best.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports. ... ty-flames/
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 15th, 2020, 10:57 pm I hope whoever wrote that article isn't being paid to write.
Ballcoach, I hope you read it long enough to get to the last paragraph, which I thought was a very strong conclusion.

Not that Hugh Freeze will complain, fully enjoying the ice bath that came along with the clocks hitting zeros. The Flames head coach has played in far bigger bowls before while leading Ole Miss but given his fall from grace in Oxford and the medical issues that saw him coaching from a hospital bed, among other things, this year, he certainly might savor this one a little bit more than most would think. The Cure Bowl might not mean much to the average fan but to Freeze and the young Liberty program, it was a historic postseason game and, just as important, result.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I mean what did the writer say that was wrong? I really enjoyed the bowl experience but outside of our fan base does it really mean anything? Of course not. That doesn't mean it wasn't a good experience. The writer said that much but if your offended by this article then I don't know what to tell you because it seemed pretty accurate to me.
Purple Haize liked this
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
I really enjoyed the game and overall experience of the Cure Bowl. I enjoyed it for what is was, not for what it was not (New Years 6 game). It was a great atmosphere with both fan bases happy to be there.
LU 57 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 16th, 2020, 9:05 am I mean what did the writer say that was wrong? I really enjoyed the bowl experience but outside of our fan base does it really mean anything? Of course not. That doesn't mean it wasn't a good experience. The writer said that much but if your offended by this article then I don't know what to tell you because it seemed pretty accurate to me.
The worse part of article to me was the line that said Liberty "was helped by a Georgia Southern team that didn't come close to playing their best". I do believe the LU Defensive Coordinator had something to do with that. He put together a good game plan. ("he coached them up")

Our bowl win was a bigger deal that most realize. I have had numerous people around LU and TRBC, tell me that they regret not going to the game.
LUOrange liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I can see why one would take exception to that statement.

As far as people around LU and TRBC regretting not going, that kind of confirms what the writer said. This win is big within the LU community but outside of that it doesn't really mean much. There is nothing wrong with that either. It is just the nature of these low level bowls.
Purple Haize liked this
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 16th, 2020, 9:05 am I mean what did the writer say that was wrong? I really enjoyed the bowl experience but outside of our fan base does it really mean anything? Of course not. That doesn't mean it wasn't a good experience. The writer said that much but if your offended by this article then I don't know what to tell you because it seemed pretty accurate to me.
My beef was where he took credit away from the LU players by stating that GaSo helped them by not playing their best. Why write something like that? It’s not like LU got lucky, if he watched he would have seen how dominant our D was, especially in the first half. Additionally, sure the cure bowl doesn’t move the needle for anyone outside our fan base, but why state we have no validity as a program outside our base? It seems like a pot shot at our program which he’s entitled to make but I also think it takes away from his journalistic credibility if he’s gonna take shots instead of writing out a well written and respectable article. He closes well, it’s just those two shots he takes imo.
LUOrange liked this
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I certainly agree that we had a good defensive game plan and executed it well, but that doesn't mean it wasn't accurate to say that GA Southern did not play "their best". Teams that do seldom lose. IMHO the article, while obviously not looking to praise our football team, was far from "garbage" and nothing like some of the hit jobs I have read in the past.
Liberty22 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: January 16th, 2020, 9:59 am I can see why one would take exception to that statement.

As far as people around LU and TRBC regretting not going, that kind of confirms what the writer said. This win is big within the LU community but outside of that it doesn't really mean much. There is nothing wrong with that either. It is just the nature of these low level bowls.
I would guess that 80% of all bowl game wins, mean very little to anyone outside the winning school's base. And some probably means very little to some school's base. Anyone in America who doubts what LU's win means, should google Coach Freeze's pre-game speech and listen to it.
LUOrange liked this
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: January 16th, 2020, 10:09 am I certainly agree that we had a good defensive game plan and executed it well, but that doesn't mean it wasn't accurate to say that GA Southern did not play "their best". Teams that do seldom lose. IMHO the article, while obviously not looking to praise our football team, was far from "garbage" and nothing like some of the hit jobs I have read in the past.
This is true. Emotions, am I right :lol:
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: January 16th, 2020, 10:13 am
thepostman wrote: January 16th, 2020, 9:59 am I can see why one would take exception to that statement.

I would guess that 80% of all bowl game wins, mean very little to anyone outside the winning school's base. And some probably means very little to some school's base. Anyone in America who doubts what LU's win means, should google Coach Freeze's pre-game speech and listen to it.
Exactly which is why it isn't inaccurate to state that, outside of the LU fan base, this bowl win didn't mean a whole lot.
By Jonathan Carone
Liberty22 wrote: January 16th, 2020, 10:00 amAdditionally, sure the cure bowl doesn’t move the needle for anyone outside our fan base, but why state we have no validity as a program outside our base?
Because whether we agree with it or not, that’s our perception out of the bubble. They see a rich school led by a loud mouth conservative who bought their way into FBS. The fact that four of our five FBS wins were against the worst teams in FBS this year did little to change that opinion.

Beating Georgia Southern helps change things, but until we win games like that regularly, people looking from the outside in are all going to say it’s because the other team played poorly, not us playing well.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If this game had been televised on ESPN, CBS, NBC or ABC network where it would have been available to most of America, I think 75% or more of the nation would have been rooting for LU. We move the needle nationally, more than Ga Southern.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

He’s the exception to the rule. Opposing […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1782[…]