Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Jonathan Carone
SumItUp wrote: December 13th, 2019, 12:20 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: December 13th, 2019, 11:40 am While no historical data is available, one would think a first time bowl would result in thousands of tickets being sold.
Fans needs to support the Flames in Orlando.
With no evidence, why would one think that a first time bowl would result in thousands of tickets being sold?
I'm actually on ballcoach's side on this one (which feels dirty to say). Given this is the first time, most schools would have the excitement of fans traveling to experience something new and ground breaking.

However, this is Liberty. Our fans have proven they aren't big on spending FBS money to follow the program. I will be very surprised if we sell out even half our allotment. I hope I'm wrong.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Staying at Sapphire Falls, anyone looked up dining options. Im a little Leary of staying and trying to eat at Universal. Other than the ASOR meet up, ill splurge on that.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think many fans are too lazy to go to bowl, more so than forking out the $$$.

If one plans accordingly, they should be able to make trip under 500.00.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
True, but I think majority of any team's fans are in their 40s, 50s, 60s and 70s.

Different sport, but most college softball fans are older fans. Heck when I went to Auburn a couple or 3 years ago, I felt like a teenager in the stadium.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The majority of Liberty's alumni base are younger (20's/30's). The reason for that is more alumni have graduated from Liberty in the past 10 years than in all of the years before that combined.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think most of our fans, (other than students) are 40s and above. Granted there may be a lot of 20s and 30s alumni, but are they hard core fans, like the Softball Ole Men's Club ?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 13th, 2019, 11:40 am Fans needs to support the Flames in Orlando.
Ballcoach, I've done the math. Lynchburg to Orlando is 720 miles. Plus, many of our fans live north or west of Lynchburg (think west of the Mississippi River to Pacific Ocean), which would make their trip in farther.
By BlueBird
Sort of related to this talk about having a young fan base, while Georgia Southern has been around for quite some time and has fielded a football team every year since the 80s, our alumni base is still considered rather young as well. We also seem to have an issue with converting alumni to donors.

One thing we really have to contend with, is we have a very large number of alumni who would rather support UGA than Georgia Southern. We have students who will skip games in Statesboro to watch Georgia play, or once they've graduate they almost refuse to acknowledge their ties to Southern. There's a lot of "well I was a dawg fan before I ever went to Southern" or saying how they were raised UGA fans.

It's a big point of contention for Southern fans. I know I have a friend who went to Southern with me, and you would never know he graduated from there. Everything on his Facebook is UGA. Really gets on my nerves. If we could have even half of our alumni/students who go to Georgia games actually come to Georgia Southern games, we might be at capacity every game...

Does Liberty have to deal with anything like that? Do you have students and alumni who would rather do something that concerns VT or UVA over anything related to LU?
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
BlueBird wrote: December 13th, 2019, 3:51 pm Does Liberty have to deal with anything like that? Do you have students and alumni who would rather do something that concerns VT or UVA over anything related to LU?
Well, not necessarily those two teams.

I have rooted for Alabama since I was a little boy. Nothing is going to change that. I have a philosophy of “rooting for the home team,” so I casually rooted for Virginia Tech. No more.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I am a VT fan and Alabama fan, but those 2 teams don't come between me and Liberty. In past 12 years, I have missed about 5 home games.
By Jonathan Carone
Where Liberty pulls students more regionally than in-state, you'll see students having their home team. If that home team is a football school (Alabama, Georgia, Penn State, VT, Clemson) then there are times when the student would rather follow the team they grew up with than Liberty.
By LU 57
BlueBird wrote: December 13th, 2019, 3:51 pm Sort of related to this talk about having a young fan base, while Georgia Southern has been around for quite some time and has fielded a football team every year since the 80s, our alumni base is still considered rather young as well. We also seem to have an issue with converting alumni to donors.

One thing we really have to contend with, is we have a very large number of alumni who would rather support UGA than Georgia Southern. We have students who will skip games in Statesboro to watch Georgia play, or once they've graduate they almost refuse to acknowledge their ties to Southern. There's a lot of "well I was a dawg fan before I ever went to Southern" or saying how they were raised UGA fans.

It's a big point of contention for Southern fans. I know I have a friend who went to Southern with me, and you would never know he graduated from there. Everything on his Facebook is UGA. Really gets on my nerves. If we could have even half of our alumni/students who go to Georgia games actually come to Georgia Southern games, we might be at capacity every game...

Does Liberty have to deal with anything like that? Do you have students and alumni who would rather do something that concerns VT or UVA over anything related to LU?
You hit the nail on the head. Nearly all of the folks I went to LU with in the 90s are like this. They came as UT or FSU fans and left that way as well. I think sustained winning will help, but we will remain challenged, as our alumni are so scattered geographically.

That said, I think we can grow out of this over time given the school’s commitment.
By LU 57
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 13th, 2019, 4:25 pm Where Liberty pulls students more regionally than in-state, you'll see students having their home team. If that home team is a football school (Alabama, Georgia, Penn State, VT, Clemson) then there are times when the student would rather follow the team they grew up with than Liberty.
You beat me to it.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 13th, 2019, 2:32 pm I think most of our fans, (other than students) are 40s and above. Granted there may be a lot of 20s and 30s alumni, but are they hard core fans, like the Softball Ole Men's Club ?
You are making my point for me. You see older alumni travel more often than younger alumni because they have the time and resources. Since that pool of people is smaller it is going to be tougher to pull large crowds on the road.
By CCWMichael
ballcoach15 wrote: December 13th, 2019, 1:50 pm I think many fans are too lazy to go to bowl, more so than forking out the $$$.

If one plans accordingly, they should be able to make trip under 500.00.
killjoy.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 13th, 2019, 7:24 am Car rental. 199.00
Hotel. 2 nights . 201.00
Game ticket. 50.00

I'm at 450.00, plus fuel and food for the trip.
$100/night for a hotel? I’m not even sure they’d leave the light on for you. And certainly don’t bring a UV light with you.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Risewithus wrote: December 13th, 2019, 11:00 pm If we locked in tix through the school, when do we get them?
You will get email early next week. That's what ticket office told me today
By TallyW
Registration Days Posts
Any advice on the selection of specific seats if I buy the premium ticket package? It appears that you pay $150 but do not get to see what seat you're purchasing, only sections... One of which is the second deck. I'd rather know exactly where I'm sitting if I'm spending that much for this game. Anyone have insight?

If the new players picks up on the pack line defen[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]