Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Something to remember is our alumni base is pretty young. We are a large school now but this really only within the last 10 years or so. Which means the majority of the alumni are in their late 20's to early 30's and probably don't have the amount of disposable income needed to go to a bowl game. It isn't the only reason because there is a problem within the Liberty community when it comes to their willingness to spend money on athletics, but it certainly is a large factor in why our tickets sales are probably not as strong as many would like.

I do think we will sell our allotment but there won't be a need to ask for more tickets.
LUOrange liked this
By Jonathan Carone
I'm not trying to be overly negative, but have we ever had 5000 people attend an away game at any point in our history? Have we ever had half that?

We will sell our allotment because we'll buy the extra tickets, but that will our fans buy those tickets from the school?
By LU 57
Pretty funny article on ESPN:

Ranking college football's 40 bowl games, from least to most entertaining

37. FBC Mortgage Cure Bowl

Liberty vs. Georgia Southern
Dec. 21, 2:30 p.m., CBS Sports Network
Exploria Stadium, Orlando, Florida

It's fitting that a Liberty season that began with Hugh Freeze coaching from a hospital bed in the press box is ending with a date in the Cure Bowl. We're glad Freeze is doing better these days, but if he wanted to coach this one while riding a Shetland pony or slung over the hood of a 1981 Trans Am to spark the entertainment value a bit, that'd be OK by us.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... tertaining
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
I agree with you Jonathan. If we had been placed in the Belk Bowl or the Music City Bowl then I feel more confident that we would get 5000ish people to attend. The unknown will be how many students take up the administration on their offer. If we can get 1 to 2 thousand students to attend the game then we may have a shot.
By Jonathan Carone
Another thing that hurts us this year is that the Cure Bowl is the latest in the year it can be. It's always the 3rd Saturday in December. Had it been the 15th (like last year) or the 19th (like next year), it wouldn't be as close to Christmas. That would open it to more people.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 13th, 2019, 1:31 pm I'm not trying to be overly negative, but have we ever had 5000 people attend an away game at any point in our history? Have we ever had half that?

We will sell our allotment because we'll buy the extra tickets, but that will our fans buy those tickets from the school?
In that this is our first bowl game, hopefully fans will realize the importance of making a good impression with fan support, and show up in Orlando. Many other bowls will take note of our support, and file it away for future considerations. I hope there is a lot of red in the stadium.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I just read this on the Georgia Southern message board. Their student tickets are $30, and they are providing a free bus ride and free tailgating food.

Student tickets are $30. Just bought mine today. I'm also taking the free student bus down to the game and a generous donor said that if you had a ticket for the student bus, then your TrueBlue Tailgate ticket would also be free, so that's food and drink taken care of before the game.
https://www.gsufans.com/tsc/showthread. ... Bowl/page9
By BlueBird
Cider Jim wrote: December 14th, 2019, 6:59 am I just read this on the Georgia Southern message board. Their student tickets are $30, and they are providing a free bus ride and free tailgating food.

Student tickets are $30. Just bought mine today. I'm also taking the free student bus down to the game and a generous donor said that if you had a ticket for the student bus, then your TrueBlue Tailgate ticket would also be free, so that's food and drink taken care of before the game.
https://www.gsufans.com/tsc/showthread. ... Bowl/page9
That's not entirely accurate.

Coach Lunsford, along with some others Athletic Foundation Board of Trustees, pledged to fund a seat on the bus and a ticket to the athletics sponsored tailgate for the first 110 students to sign up for the bus that will be departing from Statesboro. After that, everyone else has to pay.

There are 3 total buses leaving from each of our largest alumni and student concentrated areas: Statesboro, Atlanta, and Savannah. A seat on the Statesboro or Savannah buses are $89 and a seat on the bus from Atlanta is $109.

The trip will not be overnight. Buses will return following the game. Tickets for the game and the tailgate are not included in the price.

Also, yes technically student tickets are $30, however there is a $15 processing fee for all purchases. So in actuality you could say they're $45.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for the clarification, Bluebird. It just shows that you can't trust everything you read on a message board. :dontgetit
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
If I'm reading that link correctly, the bus goes as far as the Lynchburg airport, and then you FLY to Orlando, and the bus takes you to the YMCA for lodging and to the game and you fly back to LU--all for $25?

I bet BlueBird's school can't top that.
By BlueBird
Cider Jim wrote: December 14th, 2019, 7:28 pm I bet BlueBird's school can't top that.
Nope. No way we could offer something like that. That is amazing and hope those spots fill up quick! I know if I were a student and my school offered that, I'd hop on it in a heart beat!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I heard in church today that the LU marching band is coming in a tour bus, and they are picking up band members in several cities along the way!
Last edited by Cider Jim on December 16th, 2019, 10:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: December 15th, 2019, 4:44 pm I heard in church today that the LU marching bad is coming in a tour bus, and they are picking up band members in several cities along the way!
Great Freudian slip. :)
By R i
Registration Days Posts
2/3 of Liberty's 5K ticket allotment have been sold so far. Getting a much better feeling about our fan participation.
ballcoach15 liked this

Agreed Cruzan. Memphis just got $5 million a […]

New Mexico State

Crazy game, should have won it about an hour and a[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]