Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 4:46 pm
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 4:28 pm UVA's offensive play calling is classless! You do not throw the ball on 3rd and 10 with barely 2 minutes to go in the game.
That's why we kicked the field goal with 4 seconds left.
And to be honest, Probert needs the extra game reps. He can be inconsistent at times and then makes like a 51 yarder other times.
By chris leedlelee
I know that we will likely beat NM State at home, although I really wanted to become bowl eligible for the first time with a win vs UVA, just to make it even more special. Look forward to celebrating next week though.
By LibertyMan
I’m already looking forward to next year. Hopefully we will have a much more balanced offensive attack with a true HCHF team. And a more experienced defense! Special teams will get better as well. If we beat V Tech then we run the board! Wishful thinking but I’m allowed to dream big dreams... :shock:
By LU 57
Trekked to the game with my 15 year-old younger son. Was really looking forward to it. Bummed with result but looking forward to next week.

A few thoughts: we were totally outclassed up front; particularly our OL vs their DL. They were really long and athletic. Not an indictment of our guys, they played hard. We are just not there athletically. We need a couple more HCHF recruiting classes under our belt. Next: BC was really off. This was apparent from his first pass. In his defense, their DL was in his face immediately. The lack of time really limited our play calling. In other words, we could not give BC time to throw downfield and UVA knew this. It allowed them to play super tight and physical on our receivers. Last: Their OL is extremely athletic. Our front 4 held their own and our LB played hard but we just could not get off enough blocks to keep the pressure on Perkins. Again we just do not have the quality depth we need to compete with P5s, particularly at LB.

Anyway, it was frustrating, especially listening to that stupid “Good old song”, or whatever it is, so many times in the cold; however their is plenty to be optimistic about. We have bowl eligibility in front of us, plus the best recruiting class in program history. If you can make it next week, please do. These guys deserve our support!
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I look for VT to be a Top 10 team, next season. They have no seniors on their 2 deep roster on offense, and only 1 on defense. Probably youngest FBS team in the nation.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Buck just get so sped up by pressure and just refuses to run. 3 or 4 times he beat pressure then threw it away AFTER avoiding the rush :dontgetit The second qtr pic was probably his worst of career and just killed our momentum...on first down i believe :roll: He did make his usual 4 or 5 exceptional throws like the over the top throw to yarborough.

Probert seems to miss every kick when it matters and make them all in garbage time.

Special teams was an unmitigated disaster. Outside of shedros return there wasnt one good thing so say. 2 offsides calls both of which killed us, shanked punt which led to easy td, 2 kick catch interference penalties, missed fg, and several blown return coverages.

Defense actually held their own in my opinion. Sure they gave up some plays but offense and special teams were responsible for at least 28 pts.

Super lame atmosphere. Scott stadium is really falling apart and dated. Wake is the only worse p5 atmosphere ive been too.
Last edited by jinxy on November 23rd, 2019, 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 6:53 pm I look for VT to be a Top 10 team, next season. They have no seniors on their 2 deep roster on offense, and only 1 on defense. Probably youngest FBS team in the nation.
Ballcoach, this is NOT a thread about your 'shine drinking Hokies. :nono With all due respect, limit your comments to LU or UVa.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 9:36 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 6:53 pm I look for VT to be a Top 10 team, next season. They have no seniors on their 2 deep roster on offense, and only 1 on defense. Probably youngest FBS team in the nation.
Ballcoach, this is NOT a thread about your 'shine drinking Hokies. :nono With all due respect, limit your comments to LU or UVa.
I made this post in reference to someone posting about LU beating VT next season.
By LUOrange
My observations. First of all, the by week hurt us by taking us out of momentum. The attendance sucked because it was the weekend before Thanksgiving, they were playing us, the weather sucked, and it appeared UVA MBB was at home playing UMASS. Buck's INT in the 2QT along with the 50 yard return really destroyed all of our momentum on both sides of the ball, and UVA hit the gas and never let go. Obviously, if we score again, it's a different game. But we probably still lose the game. Last year, I felt TG's call sank us. This year, we sank us.

But bottom line UVA is a very good P5/ACC and were FBS Independent just Big South removed, and when all is said and done about this year, we've won the games people thought we'd win and lost the ones we were supposed to lose.

Now we need to pound NMSU next week, and then hopefully, relish in one more game where we can watch the greatness of Buck, AGG, and Lemonier. It won't matter if we're playing Sugar Tit State in the Little Debbie Bowl in BFE, MS. All I want is one more game and the possibility to finish 8-5. Then I'll wait impatiently for the start of the Freeze-Willis era.
Last edited by LUOrange on November 23rd, 2019, 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 11:06 pm
It won't matter if we're playing Sugar Tit State in the Little Debbie Bowl in BFE, MS.
That’s an incredible sentence.
I’d go just to buy a T Shirt
By R i
Registration Days Posts
It won't matter if we're playing Sugar Tit State in the Little Debbie Bowl in BFE, MS.
Anywhere but Mississippi. Gotta keep coach out of that state for a couple more years.
By Libertyfan_71
I know let’s just blame the loss on Buckshot. Let’s not talk about the dropped passes that where there in their hands. Let’s not talk about the missed FG. Oh and let’s not forget about the DB’s blown coverage in the end zone.
But let’s blame the QB who still had almost 300 yards of passing and 2 TD’s. But then again most of you guys are what have you done for me lately. For those who can’t wait for the HCHF era with his QB! I suggest you not watch this team anymore this year, that way you won’t be in anymore pain. I takes a team to win and it takes a team to lose.
Good luck with your almost starting Auburn QB next year to those guys who can’t wait.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Libertyfan_71 wrote: November 24th, 2019, 10:55 am I know let’s just blame the loss on Buckshot. Let’s not talk about the dropped passes that where there in their hands. Let’s not talk about the missed FG. Oh and let’s not forget about the DB’s blown coverage in the end zone.
But let’s blame the QB who still had almost 300 yards of passing and 2 TD’s. But then again most of you guys are what have you done for me lately. For those who can’t wait for the HCHF era with his QB! I suggest you not watch this team anymore this year, that way you won’t be in anymore pain. I takes a team to win and it takes a team to lose.
Good luck with your almost starting Auburn QB next year to those guys who can’t wait.
We almost certainly would have lost the game regardless. The only way we beat that UVA team is if they don't come to play. They did. However, the loss of momentum the interception led to was on Buckshot, and played a significant role in the final margin being what it was.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 23rd, 2019, 11:41 pm
I’d go just to buy a T Shirt
Ha! ballcoach liked this. I'm pretty sure he has no clue what BFE means.
By LibertyMan
Libertyfan_71 wrote:I know let’s just blame the loss on Buckshot. Let’s not talk about the dropped passes that where there in their hands. Let’s not talk about the missed FG. Oh and let’s not forget about the DB’s blown coverage in the end zone.
I hear you but let’s just be clear. BC was recruited as an FCS QB. He has made strides on the field at the FBS level due directly to the return of HCHF. Let’s not forget game 1 & 2. The problem with BC is that his style of play only suits the passing game. Unfortunately, at the FBS level, QBs must be 2-dimensional to give his team the best chance to win big games. He relies to heavily on throwing the ball. Hickson and Mack have rushed for over 600 each. BC does not realize that when teams expect you to throw, utilize your backs to establish the run. If the run game is working, throw when you need to...not just because! He hasn’t figured this simple thing out yet! He continued to pull the ball out from his backs and sling it down the field which caused numerous 3 and outs. If he used his backs to help extend drives, then chances of UVA dominating time of possession would have decreased! Yes you do have to put the bulk of the blame on the QBs decision making and in-game IQ. I’m sorry if this does not make you feel better, but this is the reality of BC!
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
BC was no more responsible for the loss than anyone else. He has proven all year, that he cannot throw under pressure. He was under a lot of pressure yesterday. We just got beat by a better team and obviously have some places to improve. OL, FG kicker, punter are pretty noticeable. But like someone said, it was a team effort yesterday.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Sounds like tillmon broke his arm yesterday which will unfortunately end his career. Hurts what little lb depth we had. It looked bad and he left the field early.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: November 24th, 2019, 2:49 pm BC was no more responsible for the loss than anyone else. He has proven all year, that he cannot throw under pressure. He was under a lot of pressure yesterday. We just got beat by a better team and obviously have some places to improve. OL, FG kicker, punter are pretty noticeable. But like someone said, it was a team effort yesterday.
Disagree on the punter. Alves has been more than adequate all year. Can't kick him to the curb because he makes one awful punt. Probert is an enigma. Powerful leg and does a great job on kickoffs, but unreliable on kicks well within his range. HF has to be more than frustrated that he has 2 schollies tied up in kickers when a lot of P5 teams don't even have one. I suspect something will happen there this Spring. Apparently the FR, Stricker, has not impressed, because he is not on the 2 deep and despite the relaxed redshirt rules has not put foot to ball once this year.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Actually the punter punted 5 times for a total of 154 yards. Given one of his punts was 44 yards, the remaining 4 averaged 27.5 yards which consistently gave UVA field position mostly in our territory. UVA rushed 4-6 folks every single passing down and Buck was chased from the pocket routinely and his accuracy on the run is @ 25%. The INT in first half turned the tide but I think field position was a killer. Lastly, the offsides on our KO that we had to redo taking the ball from their own 15 to midfield was akiller, as well. If it could go wrong, it did . . . . didn't play well at all and it WAS a team effort. UVA played a clean game and we didn't.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: November 24th, 2019, 5:27 pm Actually the punter punted 5 times for a total of 154 yards. Given one of his punts was 44 yards, the remaining 4 averaged 27.5 yards which consistently gave UVA field position mostly in our territory. UVA rushed 4-6 folks every single passing down and Buck was chased from the pocket routinely and his accuracy on the run is @ 25%. The INT in first half turned the tide but I think field position was a killer. Lastly, the offsides on our KO that we had to redo taking the ball from their own 15 to midfield was akiller, as well. If it could go wrong, it did . . . . didn't play well at all and it WAS a team effort. UVA played a clean game and we didn't.
The bad punt was under 20 yards. The other 4 averaged close to 35. Nothing to write home about obviously, and nowhere near his season's average, but not horrible. Still a bad game for him, no doubt, but I believe it's his first this year, which is a huge improvement. There's a reason he was awarded a schollie mid-season. Rion Davis, a Senior who should know better, made at least 3 huge mental errors on special teams. 2 fair catch interference calls and offside on that kickoff. The second FCI was especially aggregious. How do you make a mistake like that after the first one? :roll:
By LUOrange
Yesterday was clearly a team loss. If anything, the biggest issue since returning from the first bye week has been our inability to get off of the field on 3rd down. If we were able to get off of the field just a little more on 3rd downs, we'd have beaten Rutgers and BYU. Also, I've been a huge Buckshot fan since his first game vs Tech, when he came in for a drive and had more command of the offense than Masha. The only thing I was pointing out was that all of the team's momentum went out with Buck's first pick. There were a few times that I though Buck needed to tuck and run, bu if he had, it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the game much at all. But I agree with Freeze, they all were flat and were doing things that hadn't been doing. I blame that flatness to being off an extra week and then playing UVA, who was obviously better than last year. It's also hard to blame Alves for the 15 yard punt when the ball is snapped from the 1. Probert does appear to be unreliable with 30-40 yard FG's. All that to say though, that UVA simply was and is a better team.

Either way, I still love this team and again, we need to stomp NMSU so we can get them to play together one more time. My comment about Willis and Freeze was merely to state that I love LU football.
By CCWMichael
oldflame wrote: November 24th, 2019, 5:56 pm
Chippy wrote: November 24th, 2019, 5:27 pm Actually the punter punted 5 times for a total of 154 yards. Given one of his punts was 44 yards, the remaining 4 averaged 27.5 yards which consistently gave UVA field position mostly in our territory. UVA rushed 4-6 folks every single passing down and Buck was chased from the pocket routinely and his accuracy on the run is @ 25%. The INT in first half turned the tide but I think field position was a killer. Lastly, the offsides on our KO that we had to redo taking the ball from their own 15 to midfield was akiller, as well. If it could go wrong, it did . . . . didn't play well at all and it WAS a team effort. UVA played a clean game and we didn't.
The bad punt was under 20 yards. The other 4 averaged close to 35. Nothing to write home about obviously, and nowhere near his season's average, but not horrible. Still a bad game for him, no doubt, but I believe it's his first this year, which is a huge improvement. There's a reason he was awarded a schollie mid-season. Rion Davis, a Senior who should know better, made at least 3 huge mental errors on special teams. 2 fair catch interference calls and offside on that kickoff. The second FCI was especially aggregious. How do you make a mistake like that after the first one? :roll:
Checking to see if he has a bookie
By PAFlame
Libertyfan_71 wrote: November 24th, 2019, 10:55 am I know let’s just blame the loss on Buckshot. Let’s not talk about the dropped passes that where there in their hands. Let’s not talk about the missed FG. Oh and let’s not forget about the DB’s blown coverage in the end zone.
Coach Gill, is that you?

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]