Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I predicted we'd win 42-31. I got it half right.

Now our DC needs to design a scheme to stop the UVA QB. Don't let him beat us, we win. I read somewhere that UVA has 6 DBs out with injuries. We should be able to pick them apart.
By LUAlum1215
Just watched the Game On video. Give me a helmet and let’s go hit somebody!

When I started at LU as a freshman 12 years ago I remember hearing from Dr Towns how the vision for Liberty was to be the Christian equivalent to BYU and ND. Seeing us on the field with them tonight was special, but to compete and keep it close was incredible. Earlier this week most of us would have been happy just to cover, but to feel disappointed to lose after watching the game shows how far we’ve come. We’re not there yet but we’re on the way.
By sstaedtler
Happy with the performance. Kept people watching till the end. AGG was spectacular. I don't think this game would scare off any potential recruits. Plus, I think we have a shot vs. Virginia. They have a lot of corners out.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Fellas, I sat among all BYU fans and I can tell you we gained their respect tonight. This was a game we could've won and we held them to 31 points and we have a great offensive game plan. I can't tell you guys how many times I answered the question, "where is Liberty?" or heard man they can play football.

Great showing by our team on ESPNU.
By LUAlum1215
ballcoach15 wrote: November 10th, 2019, 12:09 am I predicted we'd win 42-31. I got it half right.

Now our DC needs to design a scheme to stop the UVA QB. Don't let him beat us, we win. I read somewhere that UVA has 6 DBs out with injuries. We should be able to pick them apart.
If GT can hang 28 on them with their (first TD was a 59 yard pass over the middle) I think we’ll be able to score. As much as this hurts, I agree with your statement.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
It's obvious our talent level wasn't equal to BYU's in most cases.

I think we out coached them big time and also had the better QB. I don't think Buckshot is getting enough credit around here for how much he has improved, and again, maybe the coaching staff gets some of that credit too.

One small complaint was spiking it on 1st down in the last drive. I'm not sure how that burnt play is better than running a quick slant.

The o line played probably their best game I've seen this year. Buckshot had tons of time to throw back there and in some cases threw it away earlier than needed. I can't fault him based on previous protection issues we've had.
By LUOrange
LUAlum1215 wrote: November 10th, 2019, 12:20 am
ballcoach15 wrote: November 10th, 2019, 12:09 am I predicted we'd win 42-31. I got it half right.

If GT can hang 28 on them with their (first TD was a 59 yard pass over the middle) I think we’ll be able to score. As much as this hurts, I agree with your statement.
UVA basically couldn't stop our running game last year. Which was what made that crazy 4th down call even dumber. We have a good chance against them again. While I'm proud of our boys tonight, what's even more depressing is that we really could've been 8-2. Oh well, things are very promising. I'm glad the boys will have the bye before UVA, but it sure does stink not having them to watch next weekend. Ar least I'll be able to watch the Dookies beat my Orangemen.
By sstaedtler
One other thing. Mack did not look nearly as good as Hickson. I don't like Mack as a receiver when he has to run out sideways. Once anyone gets him going sideways, he's done. On that last series, there was a flare out to Mack and he lost yards. I think Hickson could have broken the tackle.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
sstaedtler wrote: November 10th, 2019, 12:55 am One other thing. Mack did not look nearly as good as Hickson. I don't like Mack as a receiver when he has to run out sideways. Once anyone gets him going sideways, he's done. On that last series, there was a flare out to Mack and he lost yards. I think Hickson could have broken the tackle.
Mack is too hesitant when he runs. He follows his blocking extremely well, but there are times he would do much better cutting back against the grain, or just running downhill. It is not always easy to do, but the good backs know when to do it. Hickson did look like the much better back tonight. Mack doesn't always fall forward either, Hickson does 95+% of the time.
By Dirty 30
ballah09 wrote: November 9th, 2019, 9:32 pm We really need d1 linebackers who can read defenses and cover the under routes.

There is nothing outside of Ajayi
Read offenses? Read your keys. These guys play their butts off and we have people on here that don't know football. You don't Read offenses. LB's are fine, DL is fine, DB's are getting better, Depth is the problem. You fly out to cover underneath routes your have no chance at run plays or edge plays. If you don't know what your talking about then don't respond. Know your coverages before you start talking about covering underneath routes! The dime package personnel we throw out there on 3rd and long hasn't worked all year but we keep doing it. I guess that is for only D1 defensive players as well. The bad thing is alot these guys were on the field when we beat Baylor, I guess they are not D1 players.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
LUAlum1215 wrote: November 10th, 2019, 12:18 am Just watched the Game On video. Give me a helmet and let’s go hit somebody!

When I started at LU as a freshman 12 years ago I remember hearing from Dr Towns how the vision for Liberty was to be the Christian equivalent to BYU and ND. Seeing us on the field with them tonight was special, but to compete and keep it close was incredible. Earlier this week most of us would have been happy just to cover, but to feel disappointed to lose after watching the game shows how far we’ve come. We’re not there yet but we’re on the way.
When I watched that video, I was ready to put the pads on also. Excellent pre game speech by Coach Freeze.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
If we had gotten stops on the 3rd and very long, we win.
BYU has been recruiting at the FBS level how long? We are in our 1st full year? These guys will be reluctant to schedule us after 2022. :lol:
Best team we've played this year is still Louisiana.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I’m gonna be “That Guy” .....
Watching HCHF reactions last night I think that despite all his accomplishment and gaudy numbers, he will be happy to have someone else under center. The freak Bennett injury may move been more disastrous to his Plan than we think.
Ok. Let me have it. I can take it.
By Jonathan Carone
It’s amazing how different a game makes you feel.

Before yesterday, I would’ve been thrilled with a 7 point loss to BYU.

Watching the game, we could’ve legitimately won that thing and a 7 point loss is disappointing.

It’s both encouraging and discouraging at the same time.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: November 10th, 2019, 9:29 am I’m gonna be “That Guy” .....
Watching HCHF reactions last night I think that despite all his accomplishment and gaudy numbers, he will be happy to have someone else under center. The freak Bennett injury may move been more disastrous to his Plan than we think.
Maybe. But Buckshot had a very good game last night.
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
I think you're right. Buckshot is still a kid who seems like he could have been even more. From a coaching perspective, I think that's frustrating. Having a kid with great talent but not being able to pull all of it out.

Also, running ability was never going to be a thing for Buckshot. To sum it up, I think Freeze appreciates having a talent like Buckshot on the roster because he's a good QB, especially for a transitioning FBS, but there's always that feeling of being able to have more.
By Libertyfan_71
Are you kidding me? How many records will Bennett brake🤷🏻‍♂️ You’re silly. :dontgetit
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Libertyfan_71 wrote: November 10th, 2019, 11:22 am
Are you kidding me? How many records will Bennett brake🤷🏻‍♂️ You’re silly. :dontgetit
A coach really isn’t worried about individual stats
Also, if you look at the two QB’s behind him, they have a completely different skill set. So while I’m sure he appreciates what he has, I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s more eager to have what he wants
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: November 10th, 2019, 9:36 am
Maybe. But Buckshot had a very good game last night.
He made some good plays, and a few GREAT throws, but he was still a deer in the headlights when faced with a totally telegraphed all-out blitz, and that spike? The clock had stopped on the first down and we were running the 2 minute offense. Absolutely no reason to give up that down.
By PAFlame
That was one thing that I, nor the commentators understood with the spike. I don't know if Freeze called for that to happen so I'd be pretty shocked if he did. Buckshot had a good game overall but he still has to try to make the best decision possible, and I don't think he did that with consistency last night.

Agreed Cruzan. Memphis just got $5 million a […]

New Mexico State

Crazy game, should have won it about an hour and a[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]