Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
Two things:

1. Rutgers offensive line has beat our d-line all day with their girth and opened up holes for the qb running and running back.

2. Rutgers offensive gameplan with running qb for 4 to 6 yards all game long has been something they havent done all year. We didn't prepare our defense well for that all.

Truly disappointed in the lack of focus penalties that have added up! Ugh, delay of games should NEVER HAPPEN!
By chris leedlelee
It is just disappointing because similar to many of our other Power 5 games, there was a legitimate chance of it being a close game if a few things had gone our way. Also, that offside call was absolutely bogus and cost us a possible touchdown drive to put us within one score.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Can't even execute a 10 yard onside kick. VERY embarrassing. Of course the play before we were called for offsides and a PF and neither one happened. Still haven't seen this team play focused for mare than 2 or 3 quarters. I think HF is a good motivator, we just don't have even cellar-dwelling Big10 talent yet.
As a fan base, we have always over-hyped our talent level. I have been guilty of doing it as well.
We might beat UMass and NMSU to become bowl eligible, but we don't deserve a bid.
RU was over 90% at one time on 3rd down conversions. How do you get a delay of game penalty on the first play of a series? You have to work at being that unprepared, it doesn't just come naturally.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
2 things I wish we could've seen play out:

#1. Ceneca NOT fumbling!

#2. The offsides call that didn't actually happen on the first onsides kick that we recovered.

Either, way we finished with a touchdown and the defense held rutgers to 3 straight field goals.

At the beginning of the season I predicted we would lose this one, though going into it this week I did think we would win by 2 scores.

Umass will be rocked by us next week!
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Very disappointing. we didn't bring pressure until it was too late and Rutgers is a one dimensional team. You knew what they what they were going to do and yet we still couldn't stop them.

Vuck looked totally different in the second half. taking delay of game penalties, taking sacks, and over throwing his wrs. First half he was quick, accurate and using his check downs.
By chris leedlelee
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: October 26th, 2019, 3:20 pm 2 things I wish we could've seen play out:

#1. Ceneca NOT fumbling!

#2. The offsides call that didn't actually happen on the first onsides kick that we recovered.

Either, way we finished with a touchdown and the defense held rutgers to 3 straight field goals.

At the beginning of the season I predicted we would lose this one, though going into it this week I did think we would win by 2 scores.

Had those two things happened, this would have been a completely different game. Don't hang your head so low guys, this is year one of the HF era.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
The offense just couldn't keep up and Buckshot got a little tight in the 2nd half. If the defense had stepped up it would've gone a long way.

I figured we'd lose the game but it still stings
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: October 26th, 2019, 3:20 pm 2 things I wish we could've seen play out:

#1. Ceneca NOT fumbling!

Those plus the 3 false starts, one of which forced us to settle for a field goal inside the 1. As disappointed as the defensive performance was, we could have won if we had not made unforgivable mistakes on offense and special teams.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Another observation is that we really had our running game going with Mack in the first half and then completely went away from it.

Also, with all the experience he has, Buckshot still has no clue how to handle an all-out blitz that everyone in the stadium knows is coming. :roll:
By rjhenz
Registration Days Posts
Bummed about the loss but happy to see we fought to the end. That offsides call hurt on the onsides kick.

Don’t overreact I feel like HF said all week he was worried about both their O and D lines causing us issues and being a challenge for us.. That played out with their O line today. Its a P5 team and they have recruited P5 players. We’ll get there. This class HF is bringing in looks to be our best yet.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: October 26th, 2019, 3:27 pm Another observation is that we really had our running game going with Mack in the first half and then completely went away from it.

Also, with all the experience he has, Buckshot still has no clue how to handle an all-out blitz that everyone in the stadium knows is coming. :roll:
I think HF feels the need to mix it up rather than sticking with what's working sometimes. We need another year or two of recruiting to play with the bottom of the SEC and B10. We can play with the bottom half of the ACC and maybe the B12 now. I have to keep remind myself we are in our first full FBS season and lucky to be a middle of the pack G5 right now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote: October 26th, 2019, 8:04 pm
Purple Haize wrote: October 26th, 2019, 6:58 pm You all need to be in the chat.
What’s the purpose of a thread if we have a chat?
Exactly. I guess the thread is for the non cool people. Or people who have difficulties with technology and indoor plumbing like say a Marshall fan
By sstaedtler
Not sure why there is so much focus on the offense on this thread. They scored 34 points with very limited possessions. That is more than Iowa or Boston College scored against Rutgers. And many of these other teams scored on defense and got multiple turnovers. To me, 95% of this game should be totally on the defensive ineptitude. I get being outgunned at the LOS, but how about run blitzes and things to confuse the defense. We set in a base, vanilla defense all day long.
By chris leedlelee
Everyone seems so down in this thread. We lost by 10 to a Power 5 team in a game where we had a myriad of mistakes and the defense didn't show up. It will be alright guys. Perspective is key. We still have a 90% chance of ending this season bowl eligible.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: October 26th, 2019, 6:58 pm You all need to be in the chat.
Most of us didn't pay the big bucks for Club chat. :nono
By willflop
sstaedtler wrote: October 26th, 2019, 10:48 pm Not sure why there is so much focus on the offense on this thread. They scored 34 points with very limited possessions. That is more than Iowa or Boston College scored against Rutgers. And many of these other teams scored on defense and got multiple turnovers. To me, 95% of this game should be totally on the defensive ineptitude. I get being outgunned at the LOS, but how about run blitzes and things to confuse the defense. We set in a base, vanilla defense all day long.
That's also my takeaway for the offense. We had 9 possessions, 2 punts, 1 return fumble, and 6 scores (4 TD). That's a 67% score rate.

Boston college - 30 points on 5/12 possessions, 42%. One of their TDs was after recovering a fumble on the RU 12.

Maryland - 48 points on 7/16, 44%. They also got a TD from an interception on the RU 3 yard line.

Iowa - 30 points on 6/13, 46%. Two of their scores came off INTs.

Indiana - 35 points on 5/12, 42%. One TD came from a fumble recovery on on the RU 17.

Minnesota was 42 points on 6/9, 67%. Two of their TDs were on INTs.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
willflop wrote: October 27th, 2019, 7:35 am
sstaedtler wrote: October 26th, 2019, 10:48 pm Not sure why there is so much focus on the offense on this thread. They scored 34 points with very limited possessions. That is more than Iowa or Boston College scored against Rutgers. And many of these other teams scored on defense and got multiple turnovers. To me, 95% of this game should be totally on the defensive ineptitude. I get being outgunned at the LOS, but how about run blitzes and things to confuse the defense. We set in a base, vanilla defense all day long.
That's also my takeaway for the offense. We had 9 possessions, 2 punts, 1 return fumble, and 6 scores (4 TD). That's a 67% score rate.

Boston college - 30 points on 5/12 possessions, 42%. One of their TDs was after recovering a fumble on the RU 12.

Maryland - 48 points on 7/16, 44%. They also got a TD from an interception on the RU 3 yard line.

Iowa - 30 points on 6/13, 46%. Two of their scores came off INTs.

Indiana - 35 points on 5/12, 42%. One TD came from a fumble recovery on on the RU 17.

Minnesota was 42 points on 6/9, 67%. Two of their TDs were on INTs.
. . . . and 34 points in 19 minutes of offense. I think the big play of the game was when RU went for it on 4th down on their first drive in their territory. After that they knew with confidence they could exert their will against our D.
Last edited by Chippy on October 27th, 2019, 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By willflop
Yea, I had a feeling we'd be in trouble after they chose to go for it on 4th and play us like Army would. And, it wasn't just all the other 3rd down conversions. It was them going 4/4 on 3rd and 8+. The one where Wilson broke up the catch, but the receiver caught the deflection was a back breaker for us in needing to change momentum.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: October 27th, 2019, 8:12 am If we had got stops on 3rd down, we would have destroyed Rutgers .
If “If’s and Can’s” were pots and pans the World would be a big kitchen
Some statistics

After doing some checking, I discovered that in fa[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Just remember that fine academic institution, L[…]

DOE Report

Looks like the DOE is getting warmed up... Gra[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]