Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
In light of Kelvin Edwards having his jersey retired last weekend, it got me to thinking. Just wondering, what would be the criteria for retiring an athlete's jersey number? I know there is a very formal process for the HOF inductions.
I have nothing against retiring his number, he provided me with one of the best times I have had a s a LU fan. He scored a TD against App State with almost no time on the clock, to win that game. I just happened to be in Boone for that game.
The reason I ask, is because KE kept thanking Jr. on Facebook for retiring his number. In addition, it was KE who announced that his number was being retired and inviting his teammates and football alumni, to join him on the field for the celebration. It didn't have the normal "official athletic department announcement" type of thing to it, ie. Worthington Field.
Not wanting to take anything away from KE, seems to be a good guy, probably deserves his number to be retired, etc. etc. But there are several other former athletes, way more deserving of the honor. Again, just wondering about the process. Might want to nominate a former teammate myself.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
If the only criteria becomes former players politicking for it, then yes, Rashad may very well be next. He’s been angling for a little while now.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote: October 23rd, 2019, 7:56 am There's a difference between retiring a jersey and a number. 71 is the only number that has been retired.
This. Jerseys can be retired all the time. I know at Tech we only have one number currently retired in football. Clint Castleberry who died in WW2. after leaving school to serve in the military. In baseball we only have retired Jason Varitek who is the only player to fully letter 4 years at Tech and also be drafted in the first round of the MLB draft.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

Hopefully we are not losing out on Bond. I would s[…]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I like biographies, books about finance and human […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]