Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: February 28th, 2020, 3:06 pm I'm pretty sure most people knew his measurables weren't going to be what got him drafted high. Every single piece of coverage about him says to look at the tape. Watch how he catches the ball, runs routes, etc. Those are the things that impress people, not how fast he can run or how high he can jump.
All true, but at the same time, if he had run just a bit faster or jumped a bit higher, it would have taken away a negative. You hear over and over how little real relevance a 40 time has to football, yet it's still the most anticipated and talked about 5 seconds of a prospects pre-career. I don't think there's much doubt that AGG made himself some $$ yesterday with his route running and ball skills.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: February 28th, 2020, 3:29 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: February 28th, 2020, 3:06 pm I'm pretty sure most people knew his measurables weren't going to be what got him drafted high. Every single piece of coverage about him says to look at the tape. Watch how he catches the ball, runs routes, etc. Those are the things that impress people, not how fast he can run or how high he can jump.
All true, but at the same time, if he had run just a bit faster or jumped a bit higher, it would have taken away a negative. You hear over and over how little real relevance a 40 time has to football, yet it's still the most anticipated and talked about 5 seconds of a prospects pre-career. I don't think there's much doubt that AGG made himself some $$ yesterday with his route running and ball skills.
Anticipated and talked about for certain, but by whom? IMHO not so much by the people that really matter.
By CCWMichael
I am here to disagree with many about the bench press being meaningless.
He will need to block some big strong fellas, He will need to break free from strong secondary guys who are right on him, and holding off tackles. As much as the technique needs to be there the strength to excel is a bonus to have.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
He could be a very good #2 in the right situation, plus his size and body control could have him poaching a lot of targets inside the 10 yard line
By Dalegarz1
I believe AGG could perform very well in an offense that relies heavily on timing throws (Patriots) with a QB who throws darts. I don't think he will fare nearly as well with a QB who scrambles a lot and needs his receivers to improvise and work to get separation.
By rmiller1959
Registration Days Posts
I did a quick scan of articles about AGG post-combine, and one has the Saints picking him in the third round, while another has the Packers picking him in the 6th. He gets a positive mention in a Raiders blog as well, but no draft projection. I wonder if James Jones is still as high on him after the combine, but I'm fairly sure the attention he gave him previously has the Packers giving him a look. I don't know if he can improve on his numbers dramatically at his pro day, so I think the tape and individual workouts are going to have to speak for him.
By chris leedlelee
I thought this would be the appropriate thread to place this in since it relates to AGG. In ESPN's images of the year, AGG's one handed catch vs. Rutgers shows up at the 1:20 mark. It is a short tidbit but it is pretty cool to see a Liberty play included amongst the top plays in all of college football right next to the biggest programs.

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
FantasyPros.com wrote:Antonio Gandy-Golden Has Insane Upside (2020 NFL Draft)
by Kyle Yates | @KyleYNFL | Featured WriterMar 29, 2020

Antonio Gandy-Golden, Liberty
Height: 6’4″
Weight: 220 pounds
40-yard dash: 4.6 seconds
Vertical Jump: 36 inches
Broad Jump: 127 inches
3-Cone Drill: 7.33 seconds

Earlier in our Rookie Profile Series, I mentioned Darrynton Evans as a “small school” player that could come out of nowhere and surprise people…I probably should have reserved my “small school” claim for this player here.

Antonio Gandy-Golden is a WR prospect out of Liberty University, which is a Division 1 FBS school.

Coming out of high school, Gandy-Golden was a 2-star prospect (per Rivals.com) and graduated at 6’4/195. He was barely recruited and chose to play at Liberty, which was going to give him the opportunity to find playing time. Since then, AGG has put on 25 pounds and has become one of the most dominant WRs at the college level…not just in the FBS.

Will AGG’s play style translate to the NFL? What’s his potential for fantasy football?
Click Here for Full Story
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I've said before, AGG could be a very solid number 2 receiver in the right system. He's big AND long which will help him with alot of balls in the red zone, and while he doesn't have blazing speed, he certainly would be someone who could hit for a big play and take away double teams from number 1s on the other side of the formation
ballcoach15 liked this
By chris leedlelee
Poor AGG just happened to graduate in the year where the WR draft class has once in a decade level of talent. Really, we haven't seen a crop of receivers like this since 2004. Whichever team does pick him up, however, is getting an absolute steal.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I agree completely, CL. I think we have witnessed in the past few years the WR attracting more and more and more of the athletes who were primarily basketball guys as the bigger and faster athletes are being better utilized by today's offenses. AGG does have an X-factor in his hands. I suspect in the long run that will compensate him well for his lack of 4.3 speed.
chris leedlelee liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I don't care where he goes, as long as it is to the Rams. :) Unfortunately they need more speed and OL help. But since I never miss one of their games, it would be nice to see him every Sunday.
By tyndal23
flameshaw wrote: April 20th, 2020, 9:27 pm I don't care where he goes, as long as it is to the Rams. :) Unfortunately they need more speed and OL help. But since I never miss one of their games, it would be nice to see him every Sunday.
Flameshaw - my best friend married Fred Dryer’s daughter. I got to meet all the old Rams from his era and spent a lot of time around him when I was in CA. He is an interesting cat. Still the only player to record 2 safeties same game.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: April 20th, 2020, 10:22 pm
flameshaw wrote: April 20th, 2020, 9:27 pm I don't care where he goes, as long as it is to the Rams. :) Unfortunately they need more speed and OL help. But since I never miss one of their games, it would be nice to see him every Sunday.
Flameshaw - my best friend married Fred Dryer’s daughter. I got to meet all the old Rams from his era and spent a lot of time around him when I was in CA. He is an interesting cat. Still the only player to record 2 safeties same game.
I grew up in CA, so I have been a Rams fan my entire life. I remember Dryer well, like most of the players. I got to know Jack Snow quite well. Saw him almost every day in the off season. met Deacon Jones, Merlin Olsen, Rosie Greer, Roman Gabriel, and others. I got to play golf twice with Kurt Warner, in the same foursome. Also met most of the players on the 99 Super Bowl winning team. Went to the pre-game dinner with them at the hotel when they came to Charlotte. Have a couple of helmets signed by Kurt in person. Great guy. He is my all time favorite Ram, followed closely by David Deacon Jones. I know I dropped a lot of names, don't mean to be "one of those guys" but I was just lucky to know some of the right people. I do hope AGG goes to the Rams, but don't really see a good fit.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
SportingNews.com wrote:Liberty's Antonio Gandy-Golden an NFL Draft sleeper worth talking more about

WRITTEN BY
BILL BENDER
@BillBender92

Antonio Gandy-Golden left the NFL Combine looking to build on an impressive performance that would push him up the draft board.

That preparation changed with the COVID-19 outbreak in the United States, but Gandy-Golden has maintained a positive outlook through the whole process. The Liberty receiver, part of Panini's "Road to Rated Rookie" series, has adjusted to the "new normal" of draft preparation.
Click Here for Full Story

Check out his video from Panini at his Ihstagram.

michaeleyou liked this
LSU

We better not need it. That win should be about im[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Yeah Reese Smith I think? There was another guy wh[…]

NMSU

Steenbergen was slated to be a starter was out all[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

No other demcrates with name recognition are tough[…]