Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
There's tons of websites that have Gandy-Golden's draft stock rising lately. One thing I've enjoyed doing is tracking what the mock drafts project for Gandy Golden. Most of them are lagging but this one, my brother actually sent to me, has Gandy-Golden going in the first round!

https://walterfootball.com/draft2020_1.php

I thought itd be fun to have a thread to post what we hear about draft projections.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Interesting comparison with Andy Isabella, who went to the Cardinals at the end of the 2nd round last year, and has been strictly a KR so far. AGG is on track to have a similarly dominant Senior season, but except for their 40 times he is a lot closer to what NFL teams look for in a WR.
By CCWMichael
I believe AGG can work himself into first round material but more than likely his drop to the second round will be because he attended a football powerhouse at Liberty. He will be invited to the combine and that may raise his stock to first round but he needs to out perform the top P5 receivers. Anyone know who is training him for the combine?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I personally think he could go day 1, but he is going to need to really set the nation on fire the remainder of this year AND get invited to the Senior Bowl, plus put on a show at the combine to have that happen. I think he certainly could go on day two though. He certainly is someone I will have on my radar for my own mock draft when I start looking at it in January
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Does he really have the speed and 40 time that will wow scouts? I honestly don’t know. He doesn’t seem to from my eyeballs but I admit I don’t know. He does have great hands and is strong which is a plus. But I think most scouts are looking for speed and tight routes for Rd 1 WR’s
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
CCWMichael wrote: September 29th, 2019, 6:07 pm I believe AGG can work himself into first round material but more than likely his drop to the second round will be because he attended a football powerhouse at Liberty. He will be invited to the combine and that may raise his stock to first round but he needs to out perform the top P5 receivers. Anyone know who is training him for the combine?
Besides continuing his dominant play overall, I think 2 things would help him move up to 1st round consideration.

1) Perform well against BYU, Rutgers, and especially UVA, who have corners who are closer to NFL talent than most he has played against. He did not do a good job of seperating against UVA last year.
2) Run a good (doesn't have to be great) 40 at the combine. Sub 4.6 would be awesome.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: September 29th, 2019, 6:19 pm Does he really have the speed and 40 time that will wow scouts? I honestly don’t know. He doesn’t seem to from my eyeballs but I admit I don’t know. He does have great hands and is strong which is a plus. But I think most scouts are looking for speed and tight routes for Rd 1 WR’s
AGG really has not had a TON of opportunities to really showcase what speed he may have. Of his 28 receiving TDs to date, only 8 have been of the "explosive" variety (>30 yards), including his 73 yard catch and run last week against Hampton, which really was I believe one of his longest plays to date. He is a big-bodied possession receiver as his primary skill I think, and that will lend himself well to scouts, and he will get chances to show his straightline speed and route running at Senior Bowl and the combine (should he be invited).
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote: September 29th, 2019, 7:38 pm
Purple Haize wrote: September 29th, 2019, 6:19 pm Does he really have the speed and 40 time that will wow scouts? I honestly don’t know. He doesn’t seem to from my eyeballs but I admit I don’t know. He does have great hands and is strong which is a plus. But I think most scouts are looking for speed and tight routes for Rd 1 WR’s
AGG really has not had a TON of opportunities to really showcase what speed he may have. Of his 28 receiving TDs to date, only 8 have been of the "explosive" variety (>30 yards), including his 73 yard catch and run last week against Hampton, which really was I believe one of his longest plays to date. He is a big-bodied possession receiver as his primary skill I think, and that will lend himself well to scouts, and he will get chances to show his straightline speed and route running at Senior Bowl and the combine (should he be invited).
Great points there. So the question becomes do you take a possession receiver in the 1st round?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Id say no, unless they are a slam dunk at the top of the draft board among best available overall AND at the position. AJ Green and Julio Jones were both big-bodied receivers in the 2011 draft, and they were best available at the position AND overall. The thing with them is that while they were possession guys, they have shown over the course of their outstanding NFL careers to be players that can be explosive in the vertical element as well (People's exhibit A...Jones' 54 yard touchdown against the Eagles week 2)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote: September 29th, 2019, 9:53 pm LU needs to start promoting a new stat for AGG in his All American campaign...yards gained after the tackle.
Yards Gained While Carrying Defenders
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
This years draft class for WR is insane. There is already talk about how it could go down as one of the best with the potential stars that can come out of this draft. Jeudy, Shenault, Lamb, Ruggs, Higgins, Reagor, Johnson, and then you have AGG. You can have potentially 7-8 WRs go in the 1-2 rounds.

AGG is the best jump ball receiver in the draft, up there with the hands as well. IF AGG runs a 4.5, I think he can potential move up in the 1st round but imo he goes round 2-3. Just the wrong year to be a senior.
By LUDad
Purple Haize wrote: September 29th, 2019, 9:56 pm
LUDad wrote: September 29th, 2019, 9:53 pm LU needs to start promoting a new stat for AGG in his All American campaign...yards gained after the tackle.
Yards Gained While Carrying Defenders
Yeah, I thought about the use of the word tackle but if you are going to start a new football stat you may as well use a non traditional football use of the word tackle :D

"to seize, take hold of, or grapple with especially with the intention of stopping or subduing" Merriam Dictionary.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: September 29th, 2019, 10:06 pm This years draft class for WR is insane. There is already talk about how it could go down as one of the best with the potential stars that can come out of this draft. Jeudy, Shenault, Lamb, Ruggs, Higgins, Reagor, Johnson, and then you have AGG. You can have potentially 7-8 WRs go in the 1-2 rounds.

AGG is the best jump ball receiver in the draft, up there with the hands as well. IF AGG runs a 4.5, I think he can potential move up in the 1st round but imo he goes round 2-3. Just the wrong year to be a senior.
Not sure if he has a 4.5 in him, but he still could go pretty high if a team has one or 2 speed guys, but is looking for someone with his physical attributes and skill set. The same things that make for a great "possession" receiver can be effective on deep balls. Jump balls don't just happen on short passes.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
That looks about right. A big bodied receiver who can get those challenged balls and while not primarily known for explosiveness, could (much like receivers I referenced earlier) go for a big play.
By 1slimmaroon
Well the surprising thing that I see about AGG's draft status is that Todd McShay just release his top "144" 2020 draft prospects with a low score of 30. He DOES NOT have AGG in the top 144. Now, I may not be an expert here, but I've seen enough football at both levels that AGG is definitely a draft prospect worth talking to.
By LU 57
1slimmaroon wrote: October 9th, 2019, 9:27 am Well the surprising thing that I see about AGG's draft status is that Todd McShay just release his top "144" 2020 draft prospects with a low score of 30. He DOES NOT have AGG in the top 144. Now, I may not be an expert here, but I've seen enough football at both levels that AGG is definitely a draft prospect worth talking to.
That is surprising. McShay is pretty thorough too. :dontgetit
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]