Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Jonathan Carone
Damien Sordelett wrote: December 7th, 2019, 11:43 pm
Sly Fox wrote: December 7th, 2019, 11:27 pm I could live that easy commute up to Cowtown. I can give a ton of local intel on Fort Worth if it proves to be the final destination.
The kickoff for the Armed Forces Bowl is at 10:30 p.m. local time (11:30 for those of us here in Virginia) on Jan. 4. That's a late night regardless because of it being the Wild Card round for the NFL playoffs. The lone bowl game would start after those NFL games are completed.
I’m seeing 10:30am local time kickoff.
FORT WORTH, Texas (May 23, 2019) – The 17th edition of the Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl will be played on Saturday, Jan. 4, 2020 with kickoff set for 10:30 a.m. CT at TCU’s Amon G. Carter Stadium in Fort Worth, Texas, on ESPN.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.armedf ... format=amp
By Damien Sordelett
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: December 7th, 2019, 11:58 pm
Damien Sordelett wrote: December 7th, 2019, 11:43 pm
Sly Fox wrote: December 7th, 2019, 11:27 pm I could live that easy commute up to Cowtown. I can give a ton of local intel on Fort Worth if it proves to be the final destination.
The kickoff for the Armed Forces Bowl is at 10:30 p.m. local time (11:30 for those of us here in Virginia) on Jan. 4. That's a late night regardless because of it being the Wild Card round for the NFL playoffs. The lone bowl game would start after those NFL games are completed.
I’m seeing 10:30am local time kickoff.
FORT WORTH, Texas (May 23, 2019) – The 17th edition of the Lockheed Martin Armed Forces Bowl will be played on Saturday, Jan. 4, 2020 with kickoff set for 10:30 a.m. CT at TCU’s Amon G. Carter Stadium in Fort Worth, Texas, on ESPN.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.armedf ... format=amp
Thank goodness you guys are right. I read it wrong when I was looking through the bowl times on ESPN.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I quit watching any college football that isn’t related to the National Championship after New Years. Jan 4? College football is a distant memory
By Kricket
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote: December 8th, 2019, 12:10 am
Kricket wrote: October 6th, 2019, 9:58 pm Liberty projected to play UCF in Birmingham Bowl per the following link.

https://mweb.cbssports.com/ncaaf/bowls/predictions
Highly unlikely. From what I’ve heard UCF is lobbying hard for the Cure Bowl. I will be shocked if we end up going to Orlando.
Yeah, that post is two months old.
By GoLU_13_21
It still has GA State vs FIU in the Cure....

I'd bet money we are in any bowl but the cure. I haven't even seen us projected there by any projections today.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That is just Schlabach who has had us slotted their against Arkie State for weeks. My guess is he hasn't updated yet. Bonagura has us in Ft. Worth vs. Wyoming. I vacation in Wyoming every year and love the state. But the Cowboys won't be getting love from me in Cowtown if that is where we are slotted.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: December 8th, 2019, 12:02 am I quit watching any college football that isn’t related to the National Championship after New Years. Jan 4? College football is a distant memory
That's under normal circumstances, and I'm sure a lot of others feel the same. These aren't normal circumstances. Some of us have been waiting for this for over 40 years. Granted, that's the extreme end of it, but a lot more have been fans for a long time, and this is the realization of a dream. I don't think there will be any lack of interest from Flame's Nation because of the late date. Yes, the general public is another matter, and TV viewership may not be as high as for earlier dates. I have a feeling you will be watching, if you aren't there. 8)
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
When bowl selection is announced, it will be the biggest moment in LU sports history. If our opponent is a P5 team. It will be even bigger. Dr. Falwell will be looking down smiling.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote: December 8th, 2019, 8:42 am
Purple Haize wrote: December 8th, 2019, 12:02 am I quit watching any college football that isn’t related to the National Championship after New Years. Jan 4? College football is a distant memory
That's under normal circumstances, and I'm sure a lot of others feel the same. These aren't normal circumstances. Some of us have been waiting for this for over 40 years. Granted, that's the extreme end of it, but a lot more have been fans for a long time, and this is the realization of a dream. I don't think there will be any lack of interest from Flame's Nation because of the late date. Yes, the general public is another matter, and TV viewership may not be as high as for earlier dates. I have a feeling you will be watching, if you aren't there. 8)
You make the point very well. I will watch because I have a vested interest. But in terms of the General Public..not so much
It’s an incredibly huge deal for LU. No denying that. Glad to be eligible. Glad it appears (“sources”) to be a winnable game. All of those would be monumental mile stones in the University’s development. It is just unfortunate that the timing means we won’t be able to share it with a lot of potential new fans
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: December 8th, 2019, 9:33 am
oldflame wrote: December 8th, 2019, 8:42 am
You make the point very well. I will watch because I have a vested interest. But in terms of the General Public..not so much
It’s an incredibly huge deal for LU. No denying that. Glad to be eligible. Glad it appears (“sources”) to be a winnable game. All of those would be monumental mile stones in the University’s development. It is just unfortunate that the timing means we won’t be able to share it with a lot of potential new fans
No argument on that. I suspect Liberty will be doing some of their own promotion for the broadcast, which may bump the numbers a bit.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Looks like either of the 2 current likely options will be do-able for me. The date for Boca Raton means I will need to fly out of IND and then fly to O'Hare after the game, because the Hoosier part of the family will actually be driving up to Chicago on the 21st to spend Christmas with the Chicagoans. I'm hoping they will leave early enough to arrive on time to see the game on TV.
If not, hopefully someone can DVR it. Not really a problem though. In fact it would be easier and cheaper for me than the AF Bowl, but I'll have to impose on someone to pick me up at O'Hare about midnight on the 21st. It's a 40 minute drive 1 way.

All of this is making me very happy with my decision to forego the BB tourney in the Bahamas. It would have been a blast, no doubt, but for a fraction of the cost I will be able to see the Vanderbilt basketball game AND the bowl game.
By VarsityLu
ballcoach15 wrote: December 8th, 2019, 9:04 am When bowl selection is announced, it will be the biggest moment in LU sports history. If our opponent is a P5 team. It will be even bigger. Dr. Falwell will be looking down smiling.
I disagree. Making a bowl game is equivalent to us winning the Big South Tournament in 1994 in Charleston: going to The Big Dance for the first time. The biggest sports moment to date was last March when we won a game to advance to the second round. I'm not saying making a bowl isn't big, but it is not the biggest moment in LU history.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Those were big, but a bowl game will be bigger. Heck, I believe Radford has been to NCAA basketball tournament.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 8th, 2019, 1:05 pm Those were big, but a bowl game will be bigger. Heck, I believe Radford has been to NCAA basketball tournament.
That's not what he said. He said the WIN over Mississippi St. in the basketball tournament was the biggest moment, which IMHO is pretty clear, but we all know you consider your opinion to be fact, so why argue?
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
A bowl game is a huge accomplishment but going to a low end bowl game does not compare to our win in the 1st round of the tourney.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Brett McMurphy
@Brett_McMurphy
Latest updates for
@Stadium
bowl projections. Sources said American lineup will be:

Cotton-Memphis
Birmingham-Cincinnati
Liberty-Navy
Boca Raton-SMU
Military-Temple
Gasparilla-UCF
Frisco-Tulane
By VarsityLu
ballcoach15 wrote: December 8th, 2019, 1:05 pm Those were big, but a bowl game will be bigger. Heck, I believe Radford has been to NCAA basketball tournament.
78 teams go to a bowl game. Only 68 make the tourney. And what does Radford have anything to do with it? They earned their trip to The Dance. That is a huge accomplishment. The truth is that LU football has been decades behind other sports at LU. They are finally catching up, which is great. But don't act like this is the biggest thing ever. It isn't. I was in Charleston in 94. I was in the Vines last March when they won the first round. I was at the game last Saturday when they became bowl eligible. The football game wasn't even close to the two basketball game wins: the stands were empty and there was zero energy. Compare that to the absolute madness of the basketball games. I think that speaks for itself. I'd argue that making a bowl isn't even a top 5 moment. But hey, I'm bias toward the 6 national champions that track and cross country has. From a general public stand point, yes it is top 5, probably in a tie for second. Beating Coastal in 14 to make the FCS playoffs and then winning the first round would would be fourth and fifth.
Last edited by VarsityLu on December 8th, 2019, 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Some statistics

After doing some checking, I discovered that in […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Just remember that fine academic institution, L[…]

DOE Report

Looks like the DOE is getting warmed up... Gra[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]