Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Jonathan Carone
I think some of the criticism of Calvert from last night has been emotional or unfair.

Weight/size - last year we complained that he had put on too much bulk and that it hampered his athleticism. We can’t turn around and say he has never put on the needed bulk.

Unwilling to run - it’s obvious he is unwilling to run now, but that hasn’t always been the case. He had a great rushing touchdown against Baylor and impressed with his athleticism his first two years. Last year and this year he’s been much less willing to run. I can only assume it was because he was coached not to by the previous staff.

Here’s where I think the criticism is fair:

Relying on arm talent - Freeze has mentioned Calvert didn’t know how to study film properly or put in the work. I blame both Calvert and the previous coaching staff for that. It was their job to develop him - in all facets - and it’s obvious they didn’t do that. He’s a grown man though and should take personal responsibility to get better.

He hasn’t gotten better - the previous staff was unable/unwilling to recruit a true backup QB. We should have an upperclassman on the bench who is able to step in and play if needed. With no competition, he hasn’t had any pressure to up his game.

I’m not willing to give Calvert a pass, but I also think it’d be unfair to put all the blame on him without also acknowledging the context around him.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
LibertyD wrote: September 8th, 2019, 9:28 am Once again we see the other team use their 3-headed monster RB to beat us. UL had 2rbs with over 100 yards rushing and 1 with over 70. Hickerson had a decent night with one big run but with all the carries you can expect something. Mack has only 5 carries for 24 and Pickett had 1. This is a terrible use of the RB room. PERIOD! This is FBS football. No more easy statements about how we like the improvements. Right now this team sucks. We need an immediate RESET. BENCH BUCKSHOT, share the rushing load evenly to give different looks. Teach the DBs how to tackle in the open field, teach the LBs how to Read -and-React, teach the Defense how to “BREAKDOWN” and not over pursue the runner. THESE ARE ALL BASIC FUNDAMENTALS THAT ALL COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYERS SHOULD BE ABLE TO EXECUTE! Expand your playbook, BENCH the RB Coach. Teach the OLine the difference between run blocking and pass blocking! This is like watching a bad high school team play. I AM IN DISBELIEF at what I am seeing over the past 2 weeks. I don’t care if this is a Christian school, WILL SOME “DOGG” INTO THESE GUYS and stop being nice. WE NEED NASTY NOT NICE or we might as well convert back to FCS! SU has 63 points dumped on them yesterday by an underdog, unrated team. No more time for being nice and making excuses. LETS PLAY SOME DARN FOOTBALL LIKE MEN!!!
You make some decent points, but our MAJOR problem is the OL. Does BC need to tighten up some things, absolutely. Games are won in the trenches, and our OL is horrible. I know the staff knows that, just look at their recruiting focus.
I can assure you that you trade our OL for theirs and the results would be virtually reversed. Their RB's are a little better/faster, but they still had the holes and blocking to work with. Our RB's were pretty much on their own, with the exception of the trap play exploited by Hickson.
OL,OL,OL.
By Jonathan Carone
In regards to our offensive line: we are seeing the lack of development from the last few years. We have a starting line of all juniors and seniors. We should be in much better shape than we are.
By CCWMichael
I went on a first date two weeks ago and saw both potential good and bad. Date two this week was all bad traits but for a few glimmers. I am beginning not to trust what I feel about my date.
We have all said it about Buckshot, unfortunately the depth is not there to improve. Nor is there depth with the O-line. Our RB's need the line to start pushing D-lines out of the way and/or downfield. Without a running threat, and we have the backs, they can T off on a guy they know is too slow to process.
One player missing on D made that much of a difference is certainly a possibility at this level. We should see Benton's true impact against Buffalo. Many plays they beat our D's aggressiveness and there was not a second layer to cover that.
Maybe I just need to change the teams I like. My Dolphins are looking just an inept on defense as the Flames did Saturday.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote: September 8th, 2019, 10:09 am Rusins our NG and Benton our Rover lead the team in tackles against Syracuse (22) . . .combined for 0 tackles. Saw Rusins on the sideline after the first series (injury?) and Benton never suited up (concussion like symptoms). We can't afford those two being out the're our primary run stoppers with Ajayi and Lewis.
Let's hope it was this. This should correct itself.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
What Was the name of that poster a few years ago who had the kid who was going to be the next LeBron and wanted to come to LU? Sounds like he’s back
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LibertyD wrote: September 8th, 2019, 12:38 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 8th, 2019, 12:18 pm Again I ask - do you think you may be too close to the situation to be objective?
Do you think you may be to close to the situation to clearly see where LU is going wrong. Stop trying to figure me out and analyze the facts of FBS football. We have a 1-dimensional QB who present little to no threat. We are too predictable in the single RB set. Teams will not have much to plan for if we continue to do the same thing over again. I'm talking "FOOTBAL FACTS" and you are asking questions about being objective. Being objective in football situations like this do not win football games. Making immediate adjustments and correction do! Hickerson had 100 yards which is good but UL had 2 rbs with 100+ and 1 with 70+. Do you not see the problem??? It's about getting full production out of all you assets. We have to admit that although we have the great AGG, we are not a high-powered passing team with BC at the helm. The run-game is our best asset. But if we don't properly utilize it, the we have NO BEST ASSETS!
Let's see, is it POSSIBLE there may be some reason LA's backs had more yards than ours other than their ingenious rotation strategery? Could it be that their RBs are more talented, their O-Line is better and our run defense was awful? Nah, no way. :roll:

As far as whether we should have run it more against the Cajuns? Let's just say hindsight is always 20/20. I doubt anyone would have said that after our first drive. I believe the approximately 60/40 pass/run ratio we had last night was basically typical of HF teams, and it's worked out pretty well for him over the years.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
If, as it appears, Buckshot is simply not capable of running the RPO, then we need to find other ways to incorporate it, because it is a huge key to the success of HF's offense. Playing JB more is one option. Another (and I have hinted at this in the past) is to occasionally utilize the talents of another player who is already on the field. D.J. Stubbs played a lot of QB in HS, and I think he could be really good at it.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 8th, 2019, 1:43 pm In regards to our offensive line: we are seeing the lack of development from the last few years. We have a starting line of all juniors and seniors. We should be in much better shape than we are.
Absolutely agree Jon. The problem is that you can only develop an athlete to the point of his physical/mental capability. After all this time, I believe these guys are just maxed out. They were recruited as FCS players, that is pretty much their ceiling, at least as a unit. They haven't been "coached up" for 3-4 years and it is too late to do much about that right now.
By LUOrange
I think that the biggest issue has really been the new system and Freeze's health. I heard the LALA commentators say that Freeze and both of his coordinators (presumably Austin and Symons) were in the box with him. Maybe the offense/Buckshot needs Austin on the sidelines and Harris in the booth. It's definitely worth a try, at least until Freeze can get back on the sideline. I think missing our true field general on the sideline is the biggest difference. There doesn't appear to be a true number 2 for Freeze, and that also appears to be a problem.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: September 8th, 2019, 5:26 pm Who said Buck bulked up too much? I've always thought he was significantly undersized.
There was a ton of talk that he was too lean his first couple of seasons and he put on noticeable bulk on last season which appeared to limit the little mobility he had. That is what is being referenced.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: September 8th, 2019, 6:28 pm I think freeze needs to tell Buck that JB starts the second Quarter unless he's given a reason to change his mind.
Don't know if I would be quite that specific, but I agree in principle. BC needs to know HF is ready and willing to come with the hook if he doesn't execute at a higher level.
By LibertyD
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 8th, 2019, 12:41 pm The fact you’re automatically assuming I don’t think we have problems show that your closeness to the running back room is blinding you from having a legitimate discussion.
I still have yet to hear you respond about the situation. Not all of this “closeness to the RB room stuff!” I’m talking about utilizing all of our offensive assets in a strategic way that will increase the number of threats we bring and expand the game-plan and your still focusing closeness to the RB room. Are you the “Forum Police” or something? I want the team to WIN and we can’t do it if we don’t use all options better. I watched a lot of college football this weekend and most teams used 2-3 RBS. Georgia Southern used 3 backs out of the “I” formation to run effective Option plays. I’m talking football from a veteran coaches perspective. I don’t know where you’re coming from. Respond with game winning strategies please, not all of this personality stuff!
By Jonathan Carone
None of us know if Bennett is ready. It could be the worst thing for his development to rush him in. I’d rather sacrifice this year for three years of Bennett at his best if that’s what we have to do.
By LUOrange
thepostman wrote: September 8th, 2019, 6:23 pm
Class of 20Something wrote: September 8th, 2019, 5:26 pm Who said Buck bulked up too much? I've always thought he was significantly undersized.
There was a ton of talk that he was too lean his first couple of seasons and he put on noticeable bulk on last season which appeared to limit the little mobility he had. That is what is being referenced.
The same thing was said about Woodrum for his senior year, and he and the whole team were not as good as the year before. Probably was more of Gill's fault. But it was said on this board.
By Jonathan Carone
LibertyD wrote: September 8th, 2019, 7:09 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 8th, 2019, 12:41 pm The fact you’re automatically assuming I don’t think we have problems show that your closeness to the running back room is blinding you from having a legitimate discussion.
I still have yet to hear you respond about the situation. Not all of this “closeness to the RB room stuff!” I’m talking about utilizing all of our offensive assets in a strategic way that will increase the number of threats we bring and expand the game-plan and your still focusing closeness to the RB room. Are you the “Forum Police” or something? I want the team to WIN and we can’t do it if we don’t use all options better. I watched a lot of college football this weekend and most teams used 2-3 RBS. Georgia Southern used 3 backs out of the “I” formation to run effective Option plays. I’m talking football from a veteran coaches perspective. I don’t know where you’re coming from. Respond with game winning strategies please, not all of this personality stuff!
Here’s why I haven’t responded with “game winning strategies”:

1 - I’ve been around this place long enough to know that discussing things with a parent or close friend of a player who isn’t getting playing time is pointless.

2 - I’ve been around college football programs enough to know there’s more going on behind the scenes than what we see on Saturday. If your son/friend isn’t getting the playing time you think he deserves and you’re stooping to insulting a 2000 yard running back who is playing ahead of him, it’s obvious you’re not taking into account the entire picture as well.

3 - I didn’t watch the tape and I didn’t see practice. I don’t know why the coaches did what they did on Saturday or what they saw that made them do it. Playing armchair quarterback - especially with someone who is emotionally involved - isn’t that appealing to me.

I’m glad you’re here. I hope your son/friend earns more playing time. But I’m not interested in a back and forth with someone who can’t be rational.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have been focused on softball the past 3 or 4 days, and not had time to watch football. But in talking with some who have, they tell me our O line is terrible.

As for QB position, I am in the camp calling for Bennett to get on field. If there isn't a big improvement by offense in game 3, I predict major changes for game 4.

I can't comment on our defense because our lack of offense has caused our Defense to be on field more than they should have.
By tyndal23
Excited for Buffalo and seeing the coaching/personnel tweaks, getting some key players back and finally putting a game together in all 3 phases as we start our run of winnable games.
By LUDad
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 8th, 2019, 7:32 pm None of us know if Bennett is ready. It could be the worst thing for his development to rush him in. I’d rather sacrifice this year for three years of Bennett at his best if that’s what we have to do.
I think the best senerio is to either play Bennett significantly this year or redshirt him. Don't burn his redshirt with end of game cleanup. You know that Willis didn't leave Auburn to sit on the bench at LU. At least with a redshirt Bennett could look forward to possibility starting for two years with significantly better talent around him after Willis is gone (supposing he does not beat out Willis next year). Otherwise we might lose him to the portal.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: September 8th, 2019, 7:48 pm I have been focused on softball the past 3 or 4 days, and not had time to watch football. But in talking with some who have, they tell me our O line is terrible.

As for QB position, I am in the camp calling for Bennett to get on field. If there isn't a big improvement by offense in game 3, I predict major changes for game 4.

I can't comment on our defense because our lack of offense has caused our Defense to be on field more than they should have.
Bennett isn't likely to play much until his junior year in any event, with Malik being available next year and who knows who else. If Bennett somehow makes great strides during the off season and becomes the starter next year, getting him killed this year, probably won't help his confidence much.
I would like to see him play a little more, in game-appropriate situations, if they don't plan to redshirt him. But only because if BC goes down, he is our #2 guy. Right now, BC still gives us the best chance to win. Just hope he doesn't get "Chrissy Everette" disease. It would be hard to blame him though. Hard to throw off your backside. :)

From what I can tell, these guys will confirm that[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Professional protestors? Let me guess funded by […]

Uh… You guys like reading?

I try to alternate non-fiction with fiction and […]

Expect it when you least expect it. Studying it is[…]