Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Class of 20Something wrote: September 5th, 2019, 4:56 pm
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: September 5th, 2019, 3:41 pm
Class of 20Something wrote: September 4th, 2019, 3:14 pm I think if Nasser can get some good faith liberal appearances at Convo, it would go a long way. Bernie was great, but that was years ago.

I'd also love to see Jr criticize Trump on some issues and language. Hold him to a higher standard. I'd like to see the board do this with Jr too.

I'm tough on my daughter because I love her and know what she is capable of. We should be tough on our leaders especially those in our own party.
Why should we cave into the pressure of getting a better image nationally by inviting more liberal speakers to Convo? Why not invite more solid Biblical preachers instead. Which is better from an eternal perspective? I am not trying to sound 'holier than thou' or mean in any way. I have a big problem with convo these days. For the record, I whole-heartedly agree with your statement on Jr. should be willing to be critical of Trump in certain areas.

I do think it is possible to separate the two in theory. However, you are going to have those who never will simply because of their worldview. This is where we as a Christian University should give grace to those who spit venom at us because it's going to happen more with the rise of the university in athletics, academics and obviously political party choice.

And let's be honest, we are giving way too much commentary on a large minority of people who comment on McGee's articles or others.
Why not both. Training students to think independently should be a major goal. It's not about caving to liberals. It's about disolving the bubble and exposing these young adults to opposing viewpoints. Of course biblical scholars should be welcomed, but demonstrating for the world what discourse and respect looks like is important too. How many non-believers can get to see what Christianity is about because their favorite secular speaker actually came to Convo? It's as much about the students as it is about the kingdom.
I highly recommend the convo with Cornel West and Robert George. George really hits this point hard that our ideas need to be challenged.

http://media2.liberty.edu/mediaplayer/1236/message

I have a harder time with some of the Christian speakers we've had recently than "liberals". It's pretty clear that even if liberals are invited, they don't have the imprimatur of the school but less clear when we have other speakers in the capacity of faith leaders such as pastor or evangelist. I have always been welcoming to others in the faith I may not agree with on all theological issues but I keep going back to Paula White and a couple of prosperity preachers no one ever heard of before they were Trump supporters. Much of that is heretical and preys upon hurting people. I really question the wisdom of some of these decisions.
I've seen a lot of emotional responses on Twitter and here is my take. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. JLFJR has done and said some stupid things, but he has not done anything that has negatively impacted any one of our experiences and memories at LU. In fact, I would argue heavily on the contrary.

That said, Liberty has been and will always be a target, so we will forever hear "the Liberty Flames football team, controversial president and Trump support Jerry Jr.'s university, play at UVA this saturday". Stupid stuff like that. It doesn't matter, it never has, it never will. Until he does something morally damning, it will forever be stupid stuff that makes him look like a clown. None of which diminishes my diploma, my experiences on campus or my incredible memories at LU.

I am pretty tired of seeing people post emotional things on social media stating how ashamed and embarrassed they are of the fact they went to LU. Jr. doesn't have that much power over my diploma or anything else I did while at Liberty, so why all the "woe is me" crap? Be embarrassed Jr. looks like an idiot, not that you went to his school.

Yours Truly,

Emotional Poster
LUnpretty11 wrote: September 13th, 2019, 8:48 am I've seen a lot of emotional responses on Twitter and here is my take. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. JLFJR has done and said some stupid things, but he has not done anything that has negatively impacted any one of our experiences and memories at LU. In fact, I would argue heavily on the contrary.

That said, Liberty has been and will always be a target, so we will forever hear "the Liberty Flames football team, controversial president and Trump support Jerry Jr.'s university, play at UVA this saturday". Stupid stuff like that. It doesn't matter, it never has, it never will. Until he does something morally damning, it will forever be stupid stuff that makes him look like a clown. None of which diminishes my diploma, my experiences on campus or my incredible memories at LU.

I am pretty tired of seeing people post emotional things on social media stating how ashamed and embarrassed they are of the fact they went to LU. Jr. doesn't have that much power over my diploma or anything else I did while at Liberty, so why all the "woe is me" crap? Be embarrassed Jr. looks like an idiot, not that you went to his school.

Yours Truly,

Emotional Poster
Excellent Post, (all except last sentence)
LUnpretty11 wrote: September 13th, 2019, 8:48 am I've seen a lot of emotional responses on Twitter and here is my take. Don't make a mountain out of a mole hill. JLFJR has done and said some stupid things, but he has not done anything that has negatively impacted any one of our experiences and memories at LU. In fact, I would argue heavily on the contrary.

Yours Truly,

Emotional Poster
This is straight facts!
The name Falwell has been attacked since 1954. You couldn't find a more likable person than Sr yet he was subjected to vile, crass, and obnoxious criticisms and the University was always a target of ridicule as a result. Jr needs to know this so you would think he would be beyond reproach as a Falwell and president of LU. Prayng everyday for him, the leadership, students, coaches and athletes, and for this great university that stands as an oasis in a very dark world. For me, I am not ashamed of the Gospel or my affiliation with LU.
A fair question in follow-up to the original question, I think, would be this: Is it possible to separate the man who leads Liberty University as its chancellor/president from the University itself.

Is it possible to love the University and disagree with the actions, words or decisions of its leadership? Or is disagreement with leadership synonymous with an attack of hate on the University at-large?
It becomes a bit more difficult but still possible. There is so many good people at Liberty and i love the school and each time I go back i am blown away by the caliber of people that go there.

So I guess for me, it is possible. I love Liberty University and think the good outweighs the negative, even still.
Great posts above. I cant even begin to dive into the other thread. If you don't want to separate the two its a you problem. Is jr right on all this, no. Im most bothered by the club drinking and in general uncouthness. I don't think its even close to being removable this point. Thats the way the liberal millennial social media mob works though. Just ignore them and they move on to something else after a few days to be outraged over. I do think someone on the board needs to get in jrs ear. He has to be better. Just has to with his communication and presentation. Theres nobody else better to lead the school than him. We just need him to hit the reset button and relearn servant leadership as a whole. I think he practices it when he wants to and hes been hardened by what hes endured for supporting trump. However, thats no excuse to be trump in all ways. Hes better than this.
I was in an education conference back in 1994. One of the speakers said something I will never forget:

"The most important person on any campus is the Head Football Coach"

Not many people pay any attention to the college president. In past 2 or 3 years, I have visited 5 or 6 SEC schools and 5 ACC schools, plus probably 15 other colleges. While on campus I never once gave any thought as to who the president was, or who he voted for.

It's easy to separate athletics from other parts of any school. I respect UVA medical school and law school, but I totally disrespect their football and basketball teams.
ballcoach15 wrote: September 14th, 2019, 1:10 pm I was in an education conference back in 1994. One of the speakers said something I will never forget:

Not many people pay any attention to the college president. In past 2 or 3 years, I have visited 5 or 6 SEC schools and 5 ACC schools, plus probably 15 other colleges. While on campus I never once gave any thought as to who the president was, or who he voted for.

It's easy to separate athletics from other parts of any school. I respect UVA medical school and law school, but I totally disrespect their football and basketball teams.
UVA's basketball team just won a national championship under the leadership of one of the finest Christian men in the profession, and with not a hint of anything either illegal or unethical. If you cannot respect that, it's a YOU problem.
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 4th, 2019, 1:28 pm Here's where I think I've landed:

It's 100% possible to cover a game and not mention the politics of Jerry.

When covering the a program as a whole, it's completely fair (although not required) to bring up the politics of Jerry.

Here's what I mean:

If you're covering the facility improvements across the program, you generally talk about where the money came from. At Oklahoma State it's T. Boone Pickens. At Louisville a lot was from Papa John. It's standard procedure to look into that and cover it. At Liberty though, the growth is tied to the online school growth which is tied to federal funding through student loans which Jerry is very public in his politics about. So there's a logical tie in there that would be mentioned at most other schools.

I don't think it's required, but it's definitely fair game to bring them up.
I largely agree but the dirty little secret is that most schools want to have what LU has with LUO. Look at Purdue's acquisition of Kaplan as one of many big moves among schools in the online education space. LU shouldn't be ashamed of that. The fact that they are largely financed by federal student loans is irrelevant. During the '08 housing crisis we weren't upset with the people or real estate moguls that took the loans or sold real estate being paid by bad loans, we were upset with the banks that financed them. There are many areas where we can cast a critical eye at LU but LUO is a major innovation that is an industry standard and should be applauded.

That being said it's easy to separate the good and the bad that the LU administration does from the athletic program. You literally cannot be a fan of any college program without doing that to some extent. It's also easy to forget about the good that this administration has done. I get it, it's more entertaining to focus on the negative and there is plenty to have a problem with (and they should be held accountable by the LU community) but this administration is responsible for a pretty amazing place. My time at LU was the most spiritually important of my entire life. I've got major issues with LU administration at times but I do my best to keep it in perspective.
Hey guys,

I'm a new Liberty fan. Just started following the team yesterday believe it or not. The reason being, I read the hate article from liberal politico bashing the school. I love that Liberty is a Christian University, especially in this day and age. Hilarious for liberal ESPN to pretend they don't cover political issues. Uhhhhh, Kapernick come to mind? What they should have said is they don't cover conservative values.

I'm a conservative christian and I'm happy to find a school that represents those values during a time where public universities are out here promoting drag shows and other non sense.

For the record, I'm a lifetime Marshall fan who will always be my #1, but outside of that I am all in on Liberty. AGG is a great WR. Loved Freeze's post game talk. Loved the production of the post game show. Buying a shirt this week.

Go Flames!
WVFlame wrote: September 16th, 2019, 10:24 am Hey guys,

I'm a new Liberty fan. Just started following the team yesterday believe it or not. The reason being, I read the hate article from liberal politico bashing the school. I love that Liberty is a Christian University, especially in this day and age. Hilarious for liberal ESPN to pretend they don't cover political issues. Uhhhhh, Kapernick come to mind? What they should have said is they don't cover conservative values.

I'm a conservative christian and I'm happy to find a school that represents those values during a time where public universities are out here promoting drag shows and other non sense.

For the record, I'm a lifetime Marshall fan who will always be my #1, but outside of that I am all in on Liberty. AGG is a great WR. Loved Freeze's post game talk. Loved the production of the post game show. Buying a shirt this week.

Go Flames!
Cider, did you let another Marshall fan in here? :D
Let's face it bc, what is going on here is that years and years ago you heard from one of your "sources" that UVA basketball was involved in something "shady", and since then they have been on your s**t list. Doesn't matter that even if those things actually happened, they were done by people who are no longer there, and in some cases no longer alive. Bennett has now been at UVA for 10 years. UVA basketball in 2019 is what he has made it, and absolutely deserves your respect.
ballcoach15 wrote: September 14th, 2019, 1:10 pm I was in an education conference back in 1994. One of the speakers said something I will never forget:

another ignorant post from this old bitter man. He is a VT troll who hates anything to do with UVA sports. Tony Bennett lives his faith and Bronco Mendenhall is building a program the right way. Bothe excellent coaches and leaders of men. The players do not get in trouble with the law and give back to their communities. Put your turkey leg down and be objective.
Some statistics

After doing some checking, I discovered that in fa[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

Just remember that fine academic institution, L[…]

DOE Report

Looks like the DOE is getting warmed up... Gra[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]