Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Parking was atrocious. Fuzz Aflame had no idea what they were doing, got mixed-messages from the same group of cops, very rude and as Jinxy said, they cut off too many entry points, too early. This is the 3rd year in a row, opening game was a disaster from a ingress/egress perspective. Getting out was almost as bad. The cops wouldn't stop a very long line of students to let cars pass/exit the lots. Every other part of the game management/experience was top shelf. (Don't use the concessions, so I have no experience/input on that). Hopefully they can get this fixed, very frustrating.
By Dalegarz1
The obvious:
1. Defense looked much improved
2. Offensive line struggled mightily (reminded me of last year)
3. Attendance was disappointing.
The not so obvious (IMHO)
1. Buckshot's throwing motion is too loose-it affects his accuracy
2. Syracuse's passing game is not prolific-the verdict is still out on our secondary
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
Purple Haize wrote: August 31st, 2019, 10:43 pm Side not Did anyone notice the medical helicopter take off and do a fly by late in the 4th? We were joking Freeze had enough and they were taking him back to the hospital
That was Jerry
By LUDad
This is a game that could have gone down to the wire. Calvert is not very mobile but he has to learn to throw the ball away instead of eating it. When he did roll out to buy time he was not accurate. However, he will not see this type pressure the rest of the year. Get him straightened out and we can still win 8 games and go to a bowl.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: August 31st, 2019, 10:30 pm Syracuse did not bring many fans, considering size of school, and a ranked team.
Historically, Syracuse doesn’t travel well. It’s a basketball school.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
At the risk of piling on a kid who seems like a good dude otherwise: I would like to see JB get an extended look next game. Buckshot has not really gotten better in 2+ seasons and everyone has hinted if not openly commented on the fact that his head game is sub par. Lack of commitment to the film room and indecisiveness on the field are an issue. The rest of the team deserves better. We have some talent on O. I have to believe someone with some mobility, ability to make reads, and a more vocal leadership style might make a difference. This a new staff and new system. The head game is important. You have to think on your feet.
By rhezick
Registration Days Posts
Okay so a few things. First, what the serious freak?
Jerry is batman now? Is he too good to drive his car? Second, I noticed a few comments about the attendance. Yes, it had everything to do with the price in my opinion. That's why I streamed it via reddit. It's free market principles. Doesn't matter if this is a going rate for fbs, it's still lynchburg and liberty and paying $40 for a ticket wasn't something I (the consumer) wanted to do. Looks like others were of the same mindset.
Yea you could blame those that went that route and say you should give your money out of obligation, but when the price is equal to the demand, then maybe we'll start to see more seats filled. Until that time, Im not inclined to pay that much. To each their own but I think that had everything to do with it not being maxed out.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rhezick wrote: September 1st, 2019, 9:31 am Okay so a few things. First, what the serious freak?
Jerry is batman now? Is he too good to drive his car? Second, I noticed a few comments about the attendance. Yes, it had everything to do with the price in my opinion. That's why I streamed it via reddit. It's free market principles. Doesn't matter if this is a going rate for fbs, it's still lynchburg and liberty and paying $40 for a ticket wasn't something I (the consumer) wanted to do. Looks like others were of the same mindset.
Yea you could blame those that went that route and say you should give your money out of obligation, but when the price is equal to the demand, then maybe we'll start to see more seats filled. Until that time, Im not inclined to pay that much. To each their own but I think that had everything to do with it not being maxed out.
You’re not wrong on anything Pricing tickets per game is a “thing”. Charge more for the Syracuse game less for New Mexico. I had my reasons for joining and buying tickets but totally get wanting to stay home and watch on tv. The food would be better
By Thirdbase
Long time listener, first time caller. The embarrassment that occurred Saturday was not being shutout. Instead, the university should make a public apology for what happened with concessions. This was the biggest football game in school history and “25,000” were expected to be in attendance according to WSET, including thousand who would be in attendance for the very first time. And what did concessions do? They RAN OUT OF BEVERAGES at halftime. No more bottled water, no more lemonade, no more ice, and with no ice in the machines the soda was flat and warm, yet they continued to charge $5.25 for flat and warm soda. Yes, the quality of the food has always been a joke for years, but what a black eye on Liberty athletics to be unprepared to serve the most basic needs to its guests. State-of-the-art locker rooms, amazing sound and video, a helicopter delivering the president, yet the fans paying $40 a seat have to stand in line for thirty minutes to have no other beverage choices than warm flat soda. What a embarrassment! I will not embarrass myself again by inviting local friends to spend time and money on LU athletics until they apologize and change food service providers. Rise with us? Yeah, whatever.
By LUAlum1215
There’s no way I would have bought a single game ticket at the prices they were. I would have bought season tickets and sold the rest.
By BlueBlood
I think SU being a ranked P5 opponent helped with national exposure, but I’m not sure it helped at the gate. Like some of said, a closer FBS opponent (regardless of conference or rank) likely would have drawn more.

For most locals, Liberty is probably their second favorite team. They aren’t addicted to LU football. Probably need to keep doing the cheaper tix thing until some momentum builds.

The good news is that the students are totally into it. Having FBS football is now a factor that new students are considering when choosing Liberty. Also, some of their parents are buying in too (I’m coming up from FL for two games this year).

I have no doubt that LU football culture will grow. Might take some patience though.
By tyndal23
1st trip back to Mountain since leaving in 93 - team mate from 92 met me - he hadn’t been here since 2011 - we both walked around campus in complete awe - pics really don’t do it justice - so impressed !!! Walked in to Hotel and just happened to be the one team was staying at - Paul Rutigliano first guy I saw - great catching up with him and seeing all the players. Game atmosphere solid - felt very FBS - crowd didn’t have much to get in to - the missed FG and fumble on the 3 makes it a completely different game. Defense - 1 series was all it took to see the difference and it held up all game. Dino stated the key to beating what we were playing was patience and screens - I will take it - we really made them work for everything. Offense - just really don’t know what to say. Is it staff for trying to make a QB do an offense he isn’t suited for or QB just falling apart under pressure. Senior - no excuses - should be fundamentally sound and prepared to go first series. I hope it all changes for him next week and everything is good - otherwise I think Bennett gets the nod way earlier than anyone expected. Overall, confident staff will get the O rolling - highly encouraged about our D - and yes we were raving about D to some degree after ODU so I am not 100% sold yet but definitely pleasantly surprised. Loved the pregame meal / shade and relaxation and able to walk right in to your seats whenever you want after eating. Great trip, glad I came and yes really disappointed to see empty seats.
By Jonathan Carone
I wasn’t sure if this part was public or not, but since it is:
A wall had been cut between the room where Freeze was stationed at Williams Stadium and the actual coaches’ box next door, creating an open line of communication for the staff. Freeze had all of the monitors and access he would need for a game or practice.
We knocked down a wall in the press box so Freeze could coach from up there.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but would we have been better off if he had just taken the night off?
By LUAlum1215
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 1st, 2019, 1:19 pm I wasn’t sure if this part was public or not, but since it is:
A wall had been cut between the room where Freeze was stationed at Williams Stadium and the actual coaches’ box next door, creating an open line of communication for the staff. Freeze had all of the monitors and access he would need for a game or practice.

I know hindsight is 20/20, but would we have been better off if he had just taken the night off?
Kinda. Knocking down a wall is a bit misleading. The front portion (2-3 ft?) of the wall dividing each box is glass so you can see into the adjacent box. The glass was removed between the box HF and the other coaches were in. Other than the trim and pane of glass, nothing was removed. Still, that’s awesome they did that for the coaches, but it’s not as drastic as it’s being made out to be.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 1st, 2019, 1:19 pm I wasn’t sure if this part was public or not, but since it is:

This is going to be a season long issue. Back problems like this don’t go away in a week or two. Especially if you are trying to work.
By Jonathan Carone
The article on The Athletic said the initial recovery was 4-6 weeks in the hospital.

Big picture wise, I think I’d rather Freeze take the time to get healthy and be able to fully coach. His health is more important than a few football games.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I agree but coaches like Hugh Freeze have a totally different mindset and I don't think you're going to keep him away. I'm curious to see how next week will be worked. I can't imagine flying anywhere will be something that will be simple with that kind of back pain.
By LUOrange
Purple Haize wrote: September 1st, 2019, 1:24 pm

This is going to be a season long issue. Back problems like this don’t go away in a week or two. Especially if you are trying to work.
I think his coaching from the box will get better when he doesn't need to be confined to a bed and can see things with his own eyes and communicate a little better and more directly. I don't think the offense would have be so derelict had he been on the sidelines. Maybe they'll let him coach from a golf cart or wheel chair soon.
By Old Red
They will charter a jet for him to get to away games as long as he needs to be reclined. A lot of corporate jets have seating designed to convert into bedding for long/overnight flights.
I’m sure they’ll do what they need to do to get him there. Only question is what kind of facility he can operate out of at the opposing stadiums.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 1st, 2019, 1:36 pm The article on The Athletic said the initial recovery was 4-6 weeks in the hospital.

Big picture wise, I think I’d rather Freeze take the time to get healthy and be able to fully coach. His health is more important than a few football games.
He’s not staying in the Hospital. So that time frame will be exacerbated. Plus there will be the inevitable Reaggravation Let alone any type of new infection or problem arising from not properly addressing rehab
By Jonathan Carone
Purple Haize wrote: September 1st, 2019, 2:08 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 1st, 2019, 1:36 pm The article on The Athletic said the initial recovery was 4-6 weeks in the hospital.

He’s not staying in the Hospital. So that time frame will be exacerbated. Plus there will be the inevitable Reaggravation Let alone any type of new infection or problem arising from not properly addressing rehab
That’s what I’m getting at. By him insisting to coach - whether selfish or selfless - he’s prolonging the injury and hurting our team for a longer period. Just like we tell athletes to sit and get healthy, I think that needs to start with our coach. He can still lead our program but we need him healthy for recruiting and continuing to coach may impact that as well.
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: August 31st, 2019, 10:30 pm Syracuse did not bring many fans, considering size of school, and a ranked team.

Our defense played well enough to win, if offense had put some points on board.

We had too many turn overs.

I feel that Bennett should have entered game in 3rd quarter after first turnover in the quarter.

We had no running game.
I was very surprised how many Cuse fans were at the game. Hardly a destination game for them. They were everywhere I went Saturday.
By badger74
Registration Days Posts
Giving a new RB the ball in that potential 1st TD situation was just dumb. RBs overall very weak. OL is a patched together group that will take time to jell. Team needs a few years to up overall talent to really compete at FBS level.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: September 1st, 2019, 2:29 pm
Purple Haize wrote: September 1st, 2019, 2:08 pm

That’s what I’m getting at. By him insisting to coach - whether selfish or selfless - he’s prolonging the injury and hurting our team for a longer period. Just like we tell athletes to sit and get healthy, I think that needs to start with our coach. He can still lead our program but we need him healthy for recruiting and continuing to coach may impact that as well.
Don’t take this the wrong way. But I agree with you. :lol:
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I listened to the game from work for the first hour or so, if I had even tried to make the trip yesterday, it would probably have been by myself because it would have cost about 80-90 dollars just for tickets for me and my oldest son (the younger one isn't quite ready for football games yet).

As for the game itself:
1) AGG definitely has a chance to play himself into day 1 or 2 of the NFL Draft in 2020.
2) Buckshot needs to look over his shoulder even with Malik Willis sitting out this year
3) The O-line needs some major soli work in practice because I lost count of how many times I heard AY say that Buckshot went down on the broadcast yesterday
4) Only 21,000+ for the biggest opponent to come to LU in the 47-year history of the program? SMH
Election 2022 and 2024

You think NY is winnable for Trump?! Has […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

To suggest Cleveland won't start is pretty ignoran[…]

UTEP

Need a series win to clinch regular season title, […]

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]