Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: August 20th, 2019, 12:05 pm
Purple Haize wrote: August 20th, 2019, 11:35 am
thepostman wrote: August 20th, 2019, 11:26 am The board has members literally all over the world and most aren't shy about sharing where they live with the rest of the board.

With that said, I am not sure what you really expected from an inter-squad scrimmage.
Like everything else he expects others to do the work for him
The pervasiveness of liberalism is an aggressive cancer. It has already metastasized in all his thoughts. He is beyond hope.
The “Feel The Bern” sticker on his Prius should be seen as a cry for help
By SoD BAS
Jonathan Carone wrote: August 20th, 2019, 10:13 am It's also a pre-season intrasquad scrimmage. It literally means nothing.
Very far from the truth. It’s a good way to see who is healthy and who can play (especially on offense as defense can be limited in scrimmages). They won’t reveal any in-depth schematics, but based on pure film (or eye test) you can clearly see speed, accuracy, and other important skills that don’t always need real game action to display.

Not to mention, coaches care about this kind of thing. They are interested to see how players react with fans in seats.
By Jonathan Carone
Watching practice as a fan doesn't tell you much other than who's running fast and if they make a great catch. With no interaction with the coaches and what they're actually looking for, you don't actually see the full picture of what's going on.

I sat through God only knows how many scrimmages when I was in Lynchburg. Usually all that comes out of a scrimmage is being impressed by younger guys you've never seen before and questioning the coach why he's not playing that guy yet.

With the coverage that Manson gives almost daily - watching and talking to coaches - there's nothing more a fan will see in a scrimmage that hasn't already been covered.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SoD BAS wrote: August 20th, 2019, 12:33 pm Good point. Probably should cancel Fall Camp all together then since they are just practices.
You mean having fans watching practice? Not a bad idea.
By SoD BAS
Not at all saying Manson doesn’t give the best information. He’s the best there is — especially being (basically) 1-of-1 at ASOR.

My point is what you said in your second paragraph. Being able to see first-years preform and progress. That’s huge.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
I was there, but I can't tell you much of anything. lol

Side note: I LOVE going to baseball games, but can't follow the game too much when I do. As far as "knowing what is happening," I do much better when I am listening on the radio... but TV is better for me than being there in person.

I can (and do) follow football games when I go in person. But a scrimmage like this is too much like being at the ballpark for me. There isn't any flow and I lose interest.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote: August 20th, 2019, 12:59 pm
SoD BAS wrote: August 20th, 2019, 12:33 pm Good point. Probably should cancel Fall Camp all together then since they are just practices.
It’s been 17 years we out here still talkin’ ‘bout practice 😀
Last edited by Class of 20Something on August 20th, 2019, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Fotmatting
By Class of 20Something
jbock13 wrote: August 20th, 2019, 5:40 pm
Purple Haize wrote: August 20th, 2019, 12:59 pm
It’s been 17 years we out here still talkin’ ‘bout practice 😀
Is this an AI reference?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Getting to see new faces (first years and transfers) in these practices and scrimmages is important because these are the guys who are the depth (or show the lack thereof) at the position going forward not only in the current season but the future seasons as well.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Someone help me out here. Espinoza was awful last year. Right into brick wall after brick wall. Shedro louis was flat dynamite in the spring game and hes listed as number 2 on punt returns which are way more dangerous than kick returns. How many punts have we screwed up the last 5 years??

Why not have shedro back there with stubbs? To me if ball security is an issue then he wouldnt be returning punts. Whats the rationale behind that and did anybody else think espinoza was good?
Last edited by jinxy on August 21st, 2019, 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
jinxy wrote: August 21st, 2019, 2:41 pm Someone help me out here. Espinoza was awful last year. Right into brick wall aftee brick wall. Shedro louis was flat dynamite in the spring game and hes listed as number 2 on punt returns which are way more dangerous than kick returns. How many punts have we screwed up the last 5 years??

Why not have shrdro back there with stubbs? To me if ball security is an issue then he wouldnt be returning punts. Whats the rationale behind that and did anybody else think espinoza was good?
Maybe it wasn't as clear in the position preview, but it's currently Stubbs then Louis for punt return. Louis is the top kick returner while Espinoza will be back there with him. I think the plan would be to have Louis return the vast majority of kicks with Espinoza more of a lead blocker.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Ok. Then that makes more sense. Personally i dont want espinoza returning period but i get that moreso.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Looks like you can learn a thing or two from practice.
By SoD BAS
ASOR out here posting a 500-word article on a pointless practice that should’ve been cancelled due to not being important. Someone should let Jon know to not waste his time :( Nothing notable can come out of a practice open to the public/media.
By CCWMichael
Was there. Vanilla.
Hard to make assumptions from an open practice.
I could but, I doubt the accuracy.
I can say ... well, I won't!
By Jonathan Carone
When did I say practice was pointless?

I said attending practice as a fan is pointless, especially when you have someone as connected as Manson there to give the context around what’s going on.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I talked with someone who attended the scrimmage. He couldn't tell me anything. My questions were just about the QBs and RBs.
Election 2022 and 2024

PH do you think Claudia Tenney would be a good VP […]

Some statistics

So, who is the new hitting coach that Coach Dot wi[…]

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]