Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

I don't know if this has ever been done throughout the threads for various sports, but I thought it'd be a fun thing to start if not. Feel free to run with it for other sports and for football in future seasons since I'm not always active.

Best Case and Worst Case for the 2019-2020 Football Season

Simply share your best case and worst case scenarios for each of the 10 topics provided below. Bonus points for creativity and reasoning! The scenarios don't necessarily have to be realistic.

1- Record & Bowl
2- Hugh Freeze
3- QB Situation
4- Attendance
5- National Attention
6- AGG
7- Recruiting Class
8- Facility Upgrades
9- Local Attention
10- Create your own topic!
This is quite the in-depth thread and . . . I LIKE IT!

1. Record & Bowl:
Best case scenario - Undefeated and still only go to the Cure Bowl.
Worst case scenario - Goose Egg in the win column.

2. Hugh Freeze:
Best case scenario - Freeze doesn't leave
Worst case scenario - Freeze does leave

3. QB situation:
Best case scenario - Buckshot & Willis become a two headed monster this year.
Worst case scenario - Willis has to sit out a year and buckshot plus JB get hurt.

4. Attendance:
Best case scenario - We average 20,000 a game
Worst case scenario - We average less than our average over the last 6 years: 16,500

5. National Recognition:
Best case scenario - We go undefeated
Worst case scenario - We go winless

6. AGG:
Best case scenario - He is a finalist for the Biletnikoff
Worst case scenario - He gets a season ending injury in week 1

7. Recruiting Class:
Best case scenario - Top 95 recruiting classs
Worst case scenario - lose some of our higher rated recruits cuz freeze leaves and we have a worse class than last year

8. Facility upgrades:
Best case scenario - everything finishes on time.
Worst case scenario - something is named after President Trump

I only wanted to do 8 :)
1- Record & Bowl

Best Case- 10-2 with losses only to Power 5 schools, Liberty ends up ranked at the end of the year.
Worst Case- The Hugh Freeze effect is not as advertised, and Liberty regresses from .500 under a tougher schedule.

2- Hugh Freeze

Best Case- Freeze does extremely well, and no SEC schools come after him
Worst Case 1) Freeze does extremely well, and an SEC school poaches him
2) Freeze does poorly, and his magic is gone.

3- QB Situation

Best case- Freeze is a quarterback whisperer to Buckshot, and Willis is available for the next two years after that.
Worst Case- Willis isn't eligible, and Buckshot is injured.

4- Attendance

Best Case - The momentum about the team combined with high profile opponents break records
Worst Case- Losses combined with poor weather leave an empty stadium

5- National Attention

Best Case- Flames win high profile games, and LU is seen as a premier destination for the Go5,
Worst Case- Freeze loses, and in frustration, calls some Lynchburg hookers, gets caught shortly afterward.

6- AGG

Best Case - AGG has a prolific year and is the first Liberty high profile draft pick.
Worst Case- Injury or underperformance.

7- Recruiting Class

Best Case- Freeze continues his recruiting magic built upon winning at LU
Worst Case- An amazing coach and facilities is not enough to draw recruits to LU

8- Facility Upgrades

Best Case: Amazing facilities pull in strong recruits
Worst Case: Tragic fire consumes the athletic facilities

9- Local Attention

Best Case: LU comes to be seen as a peer with UVA and Virginia Tech in Virginia football
Worst Case- LU loses games and Jerry blames the Democrats in a series of tweets
Let's not put most of our eggs in one or two baskets. Most good teams have multiple top players at key offense and defensive positions. I think we will see multiple other players step up and even out-perform AGG at their perspective positions. AGG has to learn how to shed DBs if he is to reach the next level at this level! Buckshot has got to show that his accuracy down field and his decision making has improved. He also will need to use his legs better to extend plays and take advatages of opportunities to scramble instead of forcing the ball into coverage when the pocket collapses. I think our most productive aspect of the offense will come out of the backfield and special teams. These 2 areas will be the key to our success. And we will have a lot of success
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: July 24th, 2019, 4:54 pm This is quite the in-depth thread and . . . I LIKE IT!

1. Record & Bowl:

2. Hugh Freeze:

3. QB situation:
Worst case scenario - Willis has to sit out a year and buckshot plus JB get hurt.

4. Attendance:
Worst case scenario - We average less than our average over the last 6 years: 16,500

5. National Recognition:

6. AGG:

7. Recruiting Class:
Worst case scenario - lose some of our higher rated recruits cuz freeze leaves and we have a worse class than last year

8. Facility upgrades:

I know it's just for fun, but I don't want t to subscribe to "Worst Case Scenario!" So my Best Case Scenario is that we beat down SU and use the momentum, and the presence of HCHF to strike fear in the hearts of all our opponents causing them to quit after the 3rd quarter of every game and enabling us to go undefeated and win the Cure Bowl!
By tyndal23
Worst Case Scenario period - 1 and done by HF - would set us so far behind the 8 ball with a new coach late in the cycle - these next 2 years of recruiting are vital for FBS success over next decade. So I am rooting for the absolute best record that retains HF - if that is 5-7 - I am down.
FLAMEfromBAMA wrote: July 24th, 2019, 1:38 pm I don't know if this has ever been done throughout the threads for various sports, but I thought it'd be a fun thing to start if not. Feel free to run with it for other sports and for football in future seasons since I'm not always active.

Simply share your best case and worst case scenarios for each of the 10 topics provided below. Bonus points for creativity and reasoning! The scenarios don't necessarily have to be realistic.

1- Record & Bowl
2- Hugh Freeze
3- QB Situation
4- Attendance
5- National Attention
6- AGG
7- Recruiting Class
8- Facility Upgrades
9- Local Attention
1)
Best Case:
Liberty goes 10-2, finishes in the top 25 of the CFP and gets a bowl invite
Worst Case:
Liberty crumbles under the weight of it's own success, loses one of it's two FCS games and suffers the first losing season since 2005
2)
Best Case:
Hugh Freeze falls in love with Lynchburg and becomes the longest tenured coach in Flames football history, leading LU to multiple 10 win seasons and becomes the second head football coach elected to the Hall of Fame
Worst Case:
Freeze bolts after one season
3)
Best Case:
Buckshot starts all 12 games (13 with a bowl game), breaks every passing record and Bennett and Willis become the cornerstones at the position with Van Daalen adding significant depth
Worst Case:
We pull a Maryland and end up losing our top 5 QBs to season ending injuries and 3 of them transfer after the season
4)
Best Case:
Flames shatter every attendance record and finish top 5 among non-Power 5 schools
Worst Case:
Attendance stagnates and we finish below 20K in average attendance
5)
Best Case:
Flames finish in top 15 in CFP, College Gameday makes an appearance and despite being an independent, gets a NY6 invite

Worst Case:
Our standing stays the same

6)
Best Case:
AGG finishes top 3 for the Biletnikoff and gets drafted no later than round 2
Worst Case:
he suffers a career ending injury in game 1

7)
Best Case:
Liberty snags 5 4 stars, shocks the nation getting three 5 stars and top 25 recruits in the ESPN300 and garners the highest ranking for a non-power 5 school in history
Worst Case:
Flames get no one higher than three stars and gets half of those flipped by P5 programs finishing near the bottom of FBS
8)
Best Case:
As a result of the huge success on the field, and explosive attendance growth, Ian McCaw accelerates the construction timeline, multiple major corporate donors back an armada of Brinks trucks to the FOC and Liberty begins work following the season on hundreds of millions of dollars in renovations giving us facilities rivaling only the top 3 schools in P5 FBS
Worst Case:
All future updates are pushed back indefinitely

9)
Best Case: Lynchburg and surrounding areas finally embrace Flames football and thousands of fans pick Liberty over UVa, Virginia Tech and others every week..oh and droves of local players beat down the door of the FOC to commit and stay home
Worst Case:
Local fans and players ignore Liberty and the Flames fall further into irrelevance among locals
10)
Best Case:
Season ticket sales and Flames Club membership explode following a monumental season for football and overall donations increase 1000%
Worst Case:
Both plummet
Worst
1- Record & Bowl
Best - Split P5 Games and take care of the "should wins" to end with a Top 2 Independent Record at 10-2 earning a bowl birth.
Worst - Not winning a single P5 Game and losing "should wins" to end with a Bottom 2 Independent Record at under .500 with no bowl birth.

2- Hugh Freeze
Best - He doesn't leave and becomes vocal about his desire to be on the mountain for a long time.
Worst - He leaves.

3- QB Situation
Best - Buckshot breaks records and ends up with less than 15 interceptions.
Worst - Top 3 QBs get injured for the season.

4- Attendance
Best - Highest "true" average attendance to date.
Worst - Anything less than a 20k average.

5- National Attention
Best - We earn positive attention due to performance.
Worst - We earn negative attention due to university leadership comments being far less than Christlike.

6- AGG
Best - Biletnikoff Finalist and drafted in top three rounds.
Worst - Records 15+ drops and drastically underperforms despite being uninjured.

7- Recruiting Class
Best - Nab a 4 star and a top 70 class.
Worst - Finish with a class outside of top 100.

8- Facility Upgrades
Best - The new FOC completes on time and truly is competitive with upper tier P5 schools.
Worst - It isn't good enough to bring in a top 70 class.

9- Local Attention
Best - The locals begin to like LU enough to drastically improve the tailgating and pregame scene for home games.
Worst - Liberty purchases three neighborhoods and forces people out of their homes.

10- Defensive Perfomance
Best - Our DEs and LBs lead the way to one of the best defenses in the country at pressuring the opposing QB.
Worst - We give up more than 25 PPG.
For the record, AGG would not be our first high-profile draft pick. Eric Green was the Steeler's first round pick in 1990 (21st overall). He made an impact from day one, and was the all-rookie TE. If AGG could duplicate that, it would be AWESOME. More likely, IF he has a great SR year, he will go somewhere in the 2nd or 3rd round.
By LUDad
LibertyD wrote: July 24th, 2019, 8:22 pm
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: July 24th, 2019, 4:54 pm This is quite the in-depth thread and . . . I LIKE IT!

1. Record & Bowl:

2. Hugh Freeze:

3. QB situation:

4. Attendance:

5. National Recognition:

6. AGG:

7. Recruiting Class:

8. Facility upgrades:

I know it's just for fun, but I don't want t to subscribe to "Worst Case Scenario!" So my Best Case Scenario is that we beat down SU and use the momentum, and the presence of HCHF to strike fear in the hearts of all our opponents causing them to quit after the 3rd quarter of every game and enabling us to go undefeated and win the Cure Bowl!
The Cure Bowl after an undefeated season?
LibertyD wrote: July 24th, 2019, 8:22 pm
I know it's just for fun, but I don't want t to subscribe to "Worst Case Scenario!"
That's the :koolaid that I'm drinking, too. :nono
1- Record & Bowl
BC - 11-1 (drop game to BYU or UVA either because of travel [BYU] or overconfidence [UVA comes in w bad record vs us undefeated]), Buckshot & AGG are finalists for major awards, Freeze is named Coach of the Year, & we make an NY6 after UCF sees a major drop off & no other G5 or independent finishes better than 3 losses. We beat a hungry Florida team who just missed out on the Playoffs, & we are lauded as one of the best non-P5 teams ever.
WC - Injuries to AGG & most of our running core fails cause Buckshot to lose his touch, Willis is not given a waiver, NDSU guy transfers after 3 games, & our freshman QB is injured. The Defense, despite new coaching, still, looks like a middling FCS defense. We finish 1-11, barely winning in 3OT against Hampton.
2- Hugh Freeze
BC - Still has it, wins Coach of the Year, brings in a top-50 recruiting class for 2020 after a few 4 stars throw their support behind us after an impressive season, & signs a 12-year extension.
WC1 - Still has it, wins Coach of the Year, brings in a top-50 recruiting class for 2020, takes a job with ODU which he calls "A much more palatable job." Our class suddenly becomes ranked 200th as nearly every recruit leaves to join him at ODU or go elsewhere.
WC2 - Does not still have it, begins day-drinking on camera after our 6th loss by more than 2 TDs, leaves in the middle of the night before the UVA game, leaving a note that says "I never liked it here anyway."
3- QB Situation
BC - Buckshot finishes as a finalist for the Maxwell, Davey O'Brien, Johnny Unitas, & Heisman awards. Targeted as a surprise late-1st round selection by New England & is touted as being ready to take over for Brady for years to come.
WC - Buckshot loses his touch, Willis is not given a waiver, NDSU guy transfers after 3 games, & our freshman QB is injured.
4- Attendance
BC - We sell out every game & the stands are filled, regardless of the opponent.
WC - Following a 63-0 loss to Syracuse, we finish with an average of less than 10,000 fans at each game as students & locals give up on a team that just couldn't do anything to savor more than 1 game. Homecoming has its lowest attendance ever.
5- National Attention
BC - Liberty is praised as the next UCF/Boise State. After soundly beating Florida in the Goodyear Cotton Bowl, we have 4 guys taken in the first round of the NFL, & recruits from all over the country begin sending us their info.
WC - We become a laughingstock after our 63-0 loss. We make up the top 10 worst plays each week on SportsCenter, & we are quickly viewed as a team that lowers SOS's as much as an FCS team.
6- AGG
BC - Finalist for the Maxwell, Walter Camp, Fred Biletnikoff, Lombardi, & Heisman Awards. Chosen in the top 10 of the NFL Draft. Touted as the next Jerry Rice.
WC - Injured on the first series of the Syracuse game, future in the NFL in question.
7- Recruiting Class
BC - Finish as a top-50 after an amazing season by the Flames as several 4-stars choose us out of nowhere.
WC - Finish worse than a number of FCS teams after an awful 1-11 season.
8- Facility Upgrades
BC - Construction crews make more progress than expected & finish the entire interior of the FOC before the season starts. Crews are able to lay down temporary bleachers behind the South End Zone as the Flames bring in a multitude of fans for Homecoming. The success of the game prompts plans to be pushed forward with permanent bleachers in the offseason that will be completed before graduation.
WC - The FOC is covered by a nice overlay for the Syracuse game, but heavy winds cause a section of it to fly off. It careens toward the Flames offense & takes out AGG & two starting lineman, putting them out for the season. The stadium is named after the current POTUS, which angers local residents, who eventually burn the stadium down. Only the FOC remains, never completed.
9- Local Attention
BC - Lynchburg hosts a parade for the team after winning the Goodyear Cotton Bowl. 15,000 local Lynchburgians proudly determine to make themselves season ticket holders for both football & basketball seasons for the forseeable future. Buckshot is named the mayor years down the line for his accomplishments as a football player & community outreach guy, following after Mayor Rashad Jennings, who is named to the state senate.
WC - Lynchburg taxpayers grow tired of Liberty taking so much space on the mountain & burn the football stadium to the ground, vowing to never again allow a school take advantage of them so much for Republican support.
FLAMEfromBAMA wrote: July 24th, 2019, 1:38 pm I don't know if this has ever been done throughout the threads for various sports, but I thought it'd be a fun thing to start if not. Feel free to run with it for other sports and for football in future seasons since I'm not always active.

1- Record & Bowl
2- Hugh Freeze
3- QB Situation
4- Attendance
5- National Attention
6- AGG
7- Recruiting Class
8- Facility Upgrades
9- Local Attention
Football is nearing and I am beginning to drift back slowly.

Record BC 10-2 and we hit the Cure Bowl.
Record WC 6-6.

HF BC he built an amazing staff that flat out performs and they stay in tact for another year.
HF WC we do well and he bolts of losses much of his staff.

QB BC Buckshot shows major improvement from last year and is starter all season with a solid running QB behind him to mix it up on occasion.
QB WC Buckshot shows no improvement and we have to burn a red shirt year to have a QB that can fit the system.

Attendance BC over 22G average.
Attendance worst case is 16G or below. We all know Thanksgiving will kill us unless we are 9-2 by then.

BC national attention we win and start earning respect or least start turning some eyes.
WC we have a scandal by a player or coach or a poor year record wise and the school becomes the butt of a rather copious amount of jokes.

BC AGG breaks away from DB's and is the threat that earns us 10-2
WC AGG shows no improvement this year.

BC facilities are completed on time.
WC facilities run into major weather delays.

BC local attention = we sell tickets and build a stronger Flames Club base
WC local attention = no locals really give two poops.

My topic = Nachos aside, why do we not have a season popcorn bucket plan?
Purple Haize wrote: July 26th, 2019, 8:29 pm Way too much involved in this thread. It needs more pictures and smaller words
That WVU education is biting you in the butt once again. :pbjtime vs. Study
Cider Jim wrote: July 27th, 2019, 8:32 am
Purple Haize wrote: July 26th, 2019, 8:29 pm Way too much involved in this thread. It needs more pictures and smaller words
That WVU education is biting you in the butt once again. :pbjtime vs. Study
We are more about action. Less about talkin. Those that can DO. Those that can’t....enroll at Marshall
Election 2022 and 2024

New York Times/Sienna poll showing Biden leading T[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Venzant is transferring to Abilene Christian, a co[…]

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]