Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

FlamesHighontheTide wrote: July 15th, 2019, 10:56 am Hugh Freeze has an FBS record of 4-2 in opening weekend games. At Ole Miss, he was 4-1.

The boys will be ready and IF Willis is eligible then watch out.
even if Willis isn't eligible, Buckshot has shown out in both of his season openers as the starter. All he did was throw for 447 yards and 3 TDs against Baylor and 345 yards and 4 TDs against ODU. Willis definitely can give us a boost but don't shortchange the guy that is already in the #1 spot at QB
TH Spangler wrote: July 15th, 2019, 2:48 pm Former Syracuse football RB recruit

https://www.syracuse.com/orangefootball ... berty.html
I wouldn't put a lot of faith in this kid yet. There's a reason he committed and de-committed from 2-3 P-5 schools and then quit UNCC after 1 year. I hope he does well and proves me wrong. His signng is more of a testament of Freeze's abilities than his.
LUOrange wrote: July 15th, 2019, 6:30 pm

I wouldn't put a lot of faith in this kid yet. There's a reason he committed and de-committed from 2-3 P-5 schools and then quit UNCC after 1 year. I hope he does well and proves me wrong. His signng is more of a testament of Freeze's abilities than his.
I don't see the need. We have enough horses in the stable with proven talent. And Buckshot has been the real deal. At this late juncture we shouldn't be talking about these late additions...2 weeks away from camp. WHERE IS THE LOYALTY???
LibertyD wrote: July 15th, 2019, 7:31 pm
LUOrange wrote: July 15th, 2019, 6:30 pm

I don't see the need. We have enough horses in the stable with proven talent. And Buckshot has been the real deal. At this late juncture we shouldn't be talking about these late additions...2 weeks away from camp. WHERE IS THE LOYALTY???
You missing Gill already? :lol:
Over recruiting? If that even a thing?
Over recruiting can be defined a few different ways. I’m this context, it’s when you bring in new talent solely because they might be better than what you currently have. It’s not necessarily a need, but the coach thinks it can make the team better so he brings on the new guy at the expense of the players already there.
Go watch all of the QB HS film on our roster - Willis is dead last in accuracy ( his spring game at Auburn on YouTube is almost unwatchable - giving him a bit of a break because of light rain, and seemed like he couldn’t grip it and players were slipping etc - but still ) - he is an athlete that wants to be a QB. Can he be one - yes, if he is coachable and willing to spend a tough year changing his mechanics. No way is he walking in and starting over BS, or Bennett or the kid from NDSU ( who I really think is a sleeper ). All the press is because he was at Auburn - everyone else recruited him as an athlete - he was a 3 star QB - big deal. He can run, but he is no Vick or D Robinson ( MI ) so if you can’t consistently throw a 5 yard out, hit an RB in stride, etc. you shouldn’t be playing QB. I do think BS will get pushed by the QB room we have ( no way Willis gets a waiver anyway ) Bennett and the rest are good enough that if BS falls in to same 2nd half of season slump he has past 3 years - they will give reps to other guys. I am not worried about BS though - he is going to have a banner year.
Tyndale, which spring game are you referring too: 2018 or 2019?

2018 then yes I agree that he was off target on alot of the passes I saw. However, he was 9 of 10 and was called efficient during the 2019 spring game. The highlights that I saw of 2019 proved much improvement in the passing game and he looked good!
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 15th, 2019, 10:10 pm “Where is the loyalty” sounds like a question someone close to current players who are impacted by over recruiting would ask.
Not necessarily true...from a coaching standpoint. We've all seen overratted premadonnas over the years that don't amount to much, when all is said and done. I'm loyal to my hard working players, with talent and a chip on their shoulders, who may have been overlooked nationally because of where they came from. These guys are much more dependable, reliable and perform well when shown loyalty by their coaches! These guys will go through a wall for the team. Those are the guys I want. These are the guys that have the "will to win!" I don't care much for these overrated premadonnas who thinks its all about them and can't sustain their hype on and off the field. SAVE THE SCHOLARSHIPS FOR FUTURE TALENT!
tyndal23 wrote: July 15th, 2019, 11:31 pm Go watch all of the QB HS film on our roster - Willis is dead last in accuracy ( his spring game at Auburn on YouTube is almost unwatchable - giving him a bit of a break because of light rain, and seemed like he couldn’t grip it and players were slipping etc - but still ) - he is an athlete that wants to be a QB. Can he be one - yes, if he is coachable and willing to spend a tough year changing his mechanics. No way is he walking in and starting over BS, or Bennett or the kid from NDSU ( who I really think is a sleeper ). All the press is because he was at Auburn - everyone else recruited him as an athlete - he was a 3 star QB - big deal. He can run, but he is no Vick or D Robinson ( MI ) so if you can’t consistently throw a 5 yard out, hit an RB in stride, etc. you shouldn’t be playing QB. I do think BS will get pushed by the QB room we have ( no way Willis gets a waiver anyway ) Bennett and the rest are good enough that if BS falls in to same 2nd half of season slump he has past 3 years - they will give reps to other guys. I am not worried about BS though - he is going to have a banner year.
I saw the Auburn Spring game and was not impressed. Although I understand why he wants to transfer out. He's was never going to start as QB at Auburn!!! Plus he has no legitimate reason to obtain a waiver to play this season. This is a very strict rule! The only option he has is for the HC at Auburn to grant him permission to play...I know, it's crazy! This will probably not happen because it would establish a bad precedence for other players looking to leave Auburn and play other places. They just don't do it!!!
ballcoach15 wrote: July 15th, 2019, 11:40 am
Purple Haize wrote: July 15th, 2019, 10:23 am
ballcoach15 wrote: July 15th, 2019, 9:26 am There's not a game on schedule that I would "circle" as a loss, right now.
What about “Oval”? Have you even looked at the schedule?
Yes, I just reviewed the schedule again. I see no Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Florida or LSU on it.
I AGREE!!!
LibertyD wrote: July 16th, 2019, 7:06 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 15th, 2019, 10:10 pm “Where is the loyalty” sounds like a question someone close to current players who are impacted by over recruiting would ask.
Not necessarily true...from a coaching standpoint. We've all seen overratted premadonnas over the years that don't amount to much, when all is said and done. I'm loyal to my hard working players, with talent and a chip on their shoulders, who may have been overlooked nationally because of where they came from. These guys are much more dependable, reliable and perform well when shown loyalty by their coaches! These guys will go through a wall for the team. Those are the guys I want. These are the guys that have the "will to win!" I don't care much for these overrated premadonnas who thinks its all about them and can't sustain their hype on and off the field. SAVE THE SCHOLARSHIPS FOR FUTURE TALENT!
So if I’m reading this right - and please correct me if I’m wrong - it’s better to give a scholarship to a kid who over achieves at a lower level and wants to move up but not a higher level guy who is looking to drop down for a second chance?
I hope Willis is a stud and lights it up or pushes Bennett next year or whatever - if HF see’s something in him, good enough for me - Malzahn is really high on the kid as a person and potential, just not impressed with the very little film on him - 2020 is a long way away who knows . As for Malzahn “approving” him to play - I don’t think coaches have any say other than ability to block a transfer in to a school the play against.
Cider Jim wrote: July 15th, 2019, 10:20 pm Over recruiting? If that even a thing?
It is, and actually the term that is usually used is "recruiting over". You have players in the system who were recruited to meet a need and find a role with the team, sometimes even as a starter, because the need was there, even though they may not be especially talented. The coaching staff recognizes this, and is constantly looking to upgrade in the recruiting process. If they can sign a recruit who is more talented, they are going to do it. They "recruit over" player(s) on the roster. Not to do so when the opportunity is there is not to do your job as a coach. As long as the process of determining who ultimately plays is fair and objective, there is no disloyalty to the current players. This goes on all the time, but is often ramped up when there is a coaching change, and certainly in our situation where we have taken a huge step up in level of competition.
Jonathan Carone wrote: July 16th, 2019, 7:59 pm
LibertyD wrote: July 16th, 2019, 7:06 pm
So if I’m reading this right - and please correct me if I’m wrong - it’s better to give a scholarship to a kid who over achieves at a lower level and wants to move up but not a higher level guy who is looking to drop down for a second chance?
If every coach lived by this standard they'd give scholarships to every walk on...Normally a walk on chooses a school they actually want to be at. And then for love of the game try out to walk on to the team. Usually they are the least talented guys on the team as well. Sorry this would not work.....
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]