Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I haven't done this in a while but I thought I would take a stab at picking the games this fall as we take our first season going for a bowl game:

08/29 vs. Syracuse
This is probably the biggest home game in our history with the first ever P5 opponent coming to Williams Stadium. Syracuse won 10 games last year, finished in the top 25 and defeated Will Grier and West Virginia in the Camping World Bowl (Grier is now preparing to battle for the backup QB spot with the NFL's Carolina Panthers)
Syracuse is still very good despite top defender Chris Slayton going in the draft and one of the best QBs this side of Donovan McNabb in Eric Dungey graduating. Liberty will have a lot of excitement around this game, and the fans should show out in force, but even with home field giving 3 points, I have to go with the Orange in this one, despite Buckshot having another big game

Liberty 35
Syracuse 56

09/07 @ Louisiana
This is the Flames first trip down to the bayou in quite a long time (Id check the history but it looks like football is updating so I could use some help) and they visit the Ragin Cajuns who won 7 games but stumbled to the end of the season with back to back losses. They return their backup QB, as well as their top 3 rushers and three of the top 4 receivers. This is still a team that can put up a ton of points and Liberty will probably need to put up some seriously crooked numbers and start fast in order to leave Lafayette with a win

Liberty 49
Louisiana 42

09/14 vs. Buffalo
The good news for Liberty is they won't have to game plan for Tyree Jackson in preparing for this game as he is getting ready for training camp with the Buffalo Bills. The bad news is Buffalo still returns a lot of experience on offense with potential 2019 starter Kyle VanTrease leading the way as well as top rushers Kevin Marks (who fans from the 757 may remember from Norview High School in Norfolk) and Jaret Patterson (who led the team in total rushing yards and net rushing yards)

If this game was in Buffalo I probably would give it to the Bulls, but I think Liberty keeps the winning roll going and edges former coach Turner Gill's former school in a close one on a late touchdown and defensive stand

Liberty 35
Buffalo 31

09/21 vs. Hampton
This is the first of two FCS opponents on the schedule and one of interest to me being from the 757. Im hoping to be shadowing a broadcaster friend of mine who is the play by play voice of the Pirates, but there won't be many highlights beyond getting to return to my alma mater again for HU. Flames in a rout.

Liberty 56
Hampton 14

09/28 vs. New Mexico
The first keep coming this year as the Lobos make their first trip to Lynchburg. The two teams had a barnburner of a matchup in Albuquerque in 2018 as the two teams combined for 95 points, 13 touchdowns and 1,148 yards of offense in a 52-43 Flames win. Both Sheriron Jones and Tevaka Tuioti are back leading the Lobo offense that does lose leading rusher, Tyrone Owens. I'm expecting a lot of fireworks in this one. Maybe not 95 points worth, but still a lot of renditions of the fight song for the home team and hold on to send the home crowd happy

Liberty 49
New Mexico 41

10/05 @ New Mexico State
Last time the Flames were in Las Cruces, they fell behind by 14 early and despite tying the game in the third quarter, were outscored 28-20 the rest of the way and lost. This is the second year of a home and home with the Aggies, and Liberty will be hungry for a win after (hopefully) beating NMSUs in-state rival the previous week. If Liberty can get off to a better start this time, I think they get the win and head into homecoming with a healthy winning streak

Liberty 38
NMSU 27

10/19 vs. Maine
After a much-needed bye week, the alumni come to town, as well as the second FCS opponent of the year in the Black Bears. Maine went all the way to the FCS final four a year ago and beat Western Kentucky from Conference USA a year ago. This game has extra significance for current Flame Josh Mack as he transferred from Orono and sat out last year due to transfer rules, so he will want to put on a show against his former school. I don't see this as Idaho State v2.0 and the Flames win going away

Liberty 42
Maine 21

10/26 @ Rutgers
This is the second of four P5 opponents on the schedule (BYU, who we will talk about later, is counted as a P5 despite also being an independent) and the first trip for the Flames to New Jersey since leaving the Big South and FCS football. Rutgers has been...well let's just say that things have not gone well for the most part in the post-Greg Schiano era in Piscataway. The Scarlet Knights went 1-11 a year ago and have only won 7 games total with current coach Chris Ash. I'm picking Rutgers to win this one largely out of charity for the Scarlet Knights, but I would not be surprised to see Liberty get the win here

Liberty 24
Rutgers 27

11/02 @ UMass
After the epic overtime matchup in Amherst a year ago, Liberty is back for a measure of payback. The Flames blew a 14 point 4th quarter lead before falling in triple overtime. The QB in that game, Ross Comis, is gone, but there is still talent from last year's 4-8 squad. I'm picking Liberty to win here because I don't think Hugh Freeze makes the same mistakes Turner Gill made in Amherst last year.

Liberty 38
UMass 21

11/09 @BYU
Here it is...one of the matchups a lot of Liberty fans had been hoping for. The Flames make their first trip to Provo, Utah and you know there will be lots of religious overtones in this matchup with BYU being a Mormon school and Liberty obviously...not. The Cougars are probably one of the best teams Liberty will face this year with Zach Wilson likely triggering the offense following the departure of Tanner Mangum (who graduated). Wilson threw for over 1000 yards a year ago splitting time with Mangum and I expect he will put up big numbers this season as well. This game will be Liberty's first appearance on the ESPN family of Networks in a while, and Liberty will present well, but too much Wilson and the Cougars on this night

Liberty 28
BYU 52

11/23 @ Virginia
After a second bye week, the Flames head back to Charlottesville, where the Cavaliers outscored the Flames 21-7 in the second half and three INTs of Buckshot Calvert to pull away to a 21 point win. UVa will have Bryce Perkins back leading the offense and I think the Cavs will use this game as a warmup to hopefully ending their long losing streak to Virginia Tech

Liberty 24
Virginia 49

11/30 vs. New Mexico State
This game will likely determine Liberty's bowl eligibility for 2019 (unless they knock off Rutgers) and the Flames will want to leave no doubt and hopefully have a rep from the Cure Bowl in the house when they complete the sweep over the Aggies

Liberty 38
NMSU 27

Projected 2019 Record: 8-4
Last edited by BJWilliams on June 11th, 2019, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:
Projected 2019 Record: 7-5
Your predictions show an 8-4 projected record with losses to Syracuse, Rutgers, BYU & Virginia. I think it's a fair assesment BJ.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Sorry I must have miscounted when I was going back over the list before posting Anything less than 7-8 wins that would be a major disappointment.
By tyndal23
So our first official year in FBS with a brand new staff, if we don’t beat every G5 opponent and our 2 FCS opponents and only lose to 4 P5 teams, it will be a major disappointment. I thought OU and Bama fans were tough...
tyndal23 wrote:So our first official year in FBS with a brand new staff, if we don’t beat every G5 opponent and our 2 FCS opponents and only lose to 4 P5 teams, it will be a major disappointment. I thought OU and Bama fans were tough...
Welcome to Liberty.
By tyndal23
Can I see our Defense play Louisiana ( a somewhat evenly matched opponent ) and then give a prediction for the following 10 games? Ha - I agree with you BJ - except I have us starting 1-2, specifically 0-2 then beating Buffalo at home and possibly upsetting Rutgers to even it out and keep us at 7-5 ( not your 8-4). IF we can start 2-1 - then lookout. I actually see another upset lurking on both ends ( we drop a dud at a UMASS or UNM ) but get one of the bigger fish ( in addition to Rutgers) and have more of a roller coaster “if only” type 7-5 season AND I expect we play all of the P5 teams closer than what you have score wise.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
A losing record would be a major disappointment. I'll wait for next season to create expectations based on this season and the recruiting that takes place. I do like the current trajectory and think the ceiling for this season is high.
SumItUp wrote:A losing record would be a major disappointment. I'll wait for next season to create expectations based on this season and the recruiting that takes place. I do like the current trajectory and think the ceiling for this season is high.
This is the right approach. To say under eight wins is a major disappointment given all the questions we have is a bit unrealistic.
By Ewglenn
Jonathan Carone wrote:
SumItUp wrote:A losing record would be a major disappointment. I'll wait for next season to create expectations based on this season and the recruiting that takes place. I do like the current trajectory and think the ceiling for this season is high.
This is the right approach. To say under eight wins is a major disappointment given all the questions we have is a bit unrealistic.
What questions do you have? Is it mostly regarding the coaching staff?
Do we have the personnel to run the systems on both sides?

Is our quarterback equipped to run Freeze’s system?

Do we have the depth needed to withstand the harder schedule this year?

How will the month long road trip impact our team?

Can we avoid dropping the game we shouldn’t that’s plagued us for ten years?

Do we have a backup quarterback? Kicker?

I don’t assume the negative on any of these, but they’re all present and they lead to me tempering expectations and instead trying to enjoy finding out the answers.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
My opinion from what ive seen and heard.

We have much better dline depth especially tackle. Our 2 ends are special. We will need clark and monday to help to have depth though. Saunders is a pass rusher only and not great at that. Gets crushed in run game.

Not a ton of depth at pb unless the late juco kid or caper can play right away but 2 to 3 good guys that are ready.

Db... much more depth and weve moved a couple kids to better positions. Not sure were there yet but i think were close to 2 deep there. Wilson and dabney will start and we will need land or clark to contribute. Faulks is ok but no better than a 3rd or 4th corner. I love scruggs move and he has so much more speed than a guy like steele who was a sure handed tackler but lacked open field speed that was needed. Safety depth still not where it should be to me.

Qb wise. I think jb is legit from what ive seen. I think hes the best dual threat qb weve had.

Kicker, yeah thats a real question mark. You would hope stricker is since gill blew a scholly on him. He has the leg stength..much more than probert but weve seen its more than that ala lunsford.

I still think i would take 7 wins if i had to guess. 8 is ceiling and 6 is the floor.
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
The coaching staff has raved about Caper, calling him the most athletic LB on the roster. One coach fell just short of saying he is the best LB on the team right now. Will that translate into a significant role as a true freshman? That's still to be determined, obviously.
By amar0819
Last year we scored a total of 399 points and our opponents scored 448. BJ you have us now scoring 456 and our opponents 408. That's almost a 50 point shift, which I've only ever seen Lebron James affect a team this dramatically. So Hughe Freeze equals Lebron of College football! I can dig it.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I figured as much on caper. He looks the part as does humes. Those 2 will be fun to watch.

Offensively i think depth is good at wr rb and te. Oline is the real question. We need knight to start at lt and we need 1 or 2 of the redshirt guys from last year to be able crack the 2 deeo. If both those things happen then we should be ok. We have known commodities in duff sargaent crawford and schultz. Bounds and issacson are backup/rotationals to me.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
My general feeling is we are capable of scoring A LOT of points. the two FCS programs probably drive the numbers down a bit as for as points against.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:BJ, did you know we have a new defensive coordinator ?

:clapping :rofl :lol: Ballcoach with jokes!
By LUDad
Offense will be fine as long as QB can accurately handle the quick reads that this offense will require. What shocked me at the spring game was the aggressive open field tackling by the db's and the routes they took to the ball. A lot has been done in a short period of time with the defense. Granted, we did not have all our backs available for the spring game. However, it has got my expectations up. I can see possibility of 9 wins if we do not have major injuries and hanging with the big boys until mid-late 3rd qty.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:BJ, did you know we have a new defensive coordinator ?

As much as I regret acknowledging your comments BC, for sake of my discussion, yes I am aware that we have a new defensive coordinator. That said, I still think we are going to have some very high scoring games against FBS opponents this year

Agreed Cruzan. Memphis just got $5 million a […]

New Mexico State

Crazy game, should have won it about an hour and a[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]