Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Interesting. This is the kind of role I thought would be perfect for him at LU but I'm guessing that would've been potentially awkward at times.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Interesting. This is the kind of role I thought would be perfect for him at LU but I'm guessing that would've been potentially awkward at times.
Agreed. That would have been an awesome role for him at LU. Arkansas is fortunate to have him in that position
By LUOrange
Man_the_kay wrote:Arkansas! good for him.
but, I can't throw my mind away that Liberty pushed him out.
Of course Liberty pushed him out, and they needed to. They should've done it a year earlier. He's a great guy that was an awesome representative of the University, but he was under performing and regressing in my opinion. Ultimately, this is a business, and Liberty made the right call. They actually handled the situation with class, unlike many of the other firings they've done over the years.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote:
Of course Liberty pushed him out, and they needed to. They should've done it a year earlier. He's a great guy that was an awesome representative of the University, but he was under performing and regressing in my opinion. Ultimately, this is a business, and Liberty made the right call. They actually handled the situation with class, unlike many of the other firings they've done over the years.
6-6 in our transition season :dontgetit
By LUDad
TH Spangler wrote:
LUOrange wrote:
6-6 in our transition season :dontgetit
I think you are both right. Gill did fine in our transition season. However, his upside was very limited. HF has potential to take team to heights we have yet not imagined.
By tyndal23
Twitter has a pic of all the coaches at Pebble Beach tourney that honored Dick Toomey - HF and TG both there - also Dino Babers ( along with a lot of big names). Would loved to have been a fly on the wall for some of those conversations...
By Class of 20Something
tyndal23 wrote:Twitter has a pic of all the coaches at Pebble Beach tourney that honored Dick Toomey - HF and TG both there - also Dino Babers ( along with a lot of big names). Would loved to have been a fly on the wall for some of those conversations...
This is what we fought for with embedding. Link that tweet.
By LUOrange
6-6 in our transition season :dontgetit[/quote]

I think you are both right. Gill did fine in our transition season. However, his upside was very limited. HF has potential to take team to heights we have yet not imagined.[/quote]

6-6 with 2 wins vs. FCS schools, where we had to hang on against Idaho State, and in which we should have had 8 wins and an outside chance at 9. We've also clearly regressed and/or under performed since 2014 and with the talent we had. I think this board has covered the regression/under performance quite clearly and thoroughly. Again, I wish him well and wanted him to be the coach we would've had long term success with. But he was perfect and good in all areas except consistent coaching.

I agree completely with the Freeze's record and potential along with our own potential. I've always believed we were going to get where we wanted to go. Freeze should help us get there alot quicker.
By tyndal23
I really don’t think Liberty pushed him out. I truly think they were caught by surprise when he resigned - now could there have been a directive to replace a coordinator and that made him suddenly resign that others have mentioned as a possibility? - quite possibly. but I don’t know and don’t need to know.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Gill "retiring" will be one of Ians all time greatest accomplishments, considering TGs relationship with JFJR.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

I'm not a fan of Cleveland trying to play point gu[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://x.com/ChrisVannini/status/17825216333887[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

I bet those are a joy. Texas poltical ads are a […]

New Mexico State

1 change and a couple of tweaks. But we swung ba[…]