Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I disagree with that completely. Postman have you ever went to any games at coastal? I was at the blocked kick game and the trouncing game. There was def a rivalry there and ive been to 3
Or 4 baseball games against us there. Heated rivalry in baseball. My experience was exactly the opposite. I think Barbers branding really amped it up then the football and baseball runs set it up.

I was also at the big south title game in 08 that we hosted at dan daniel park. There was a group of 50 or so ccu fans up there for the dh that we won the first game going away and lost the decider 2 to 1. They all said they wanted to beat liberty more than anybody on the sched.
By Old Red
One of my favorites each college football season is Ryan McGee's weekly "Bottom 10". I even got a laugh out of the way we ended up on the preseason list last year. While I'm hoping we don't actually earn a spot on it this year, it would be fun to get a shout-out by putting someone else on the list.
Just like we did with ODU last year :) - https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... fifth-spot
I had a big ole glass of koolaid with breakfast, so I'm ready to see us put Syracuse in "the coveted 5th spot" in week one.
Actually by those rankings we are underdogs in exactly half of our FBS games. Don't forget we play NMS twice. I feel pretty good about our chances to beat at least one of the teams ranked above us. As far as winning all of the games we are favored to win............. history says we won't, but I have more confidence about that than I have had in a long time.
By LibertyD
oldflame wrote: August 6th, 2019, 7:41 pm Actually by those rankings we are underdogs in exactly half of our FBS games. Don't forget we play NMS twice. I feel pretty good about our chances to beat at least one of the teams ranked above us. As far as winning all of the games we are favored to win............. history says we won't, but I have more confidence about that than I have had in a long time.
Thankfully, this is a much better all around team than the previous history. It is impossible to predict anything until after the SU game. I believe we are all going to be in for a pleasant surprise with this new team!
Of course this is hypothetical, but if we were to beat Syracuse at home and then beat UVA on the road which goes down as best win in LU history? Syracuse no matter what because they are ranked and it's a home game? UVA, but only if they're ranked higher than SU at the time?
FLAMEfromBAMA wrote: August 7th, 2019, 3:04 pm Of course this is hypothetical, but if we were to beat Syracuse at home and then beat UVA on the road which goes down as best win in LU history? Syracuse no matter what because they are ranked and it's a home game? UVA, but only if they're ranked higher than SU at the time?
That's a tough one actually. I might consider UVA's win a little bit more valid than SU. It's an away game for starters and I believe UVA is a little better than SU (just my opinion).
cruzan_flame13 wrote: August 7th, 2019, 3:37 pm
FLAMEfromBAMA wrote: August 7th, 2019, 3:04 pm Of course this is hypothetical, but if we were to beat Syracuse at home and then beat UVA on the road which goes down as best win in LU history? Syracuse no matter what because they are ranked and it's a home game? UVA, but only if they're ranked higher than SU at the time?
That's a tough one actually. I might consider UVA's win a little bit more valid than SU. It's an away game for starters and I believe UVA is a little better than SU (just my opinion).

Beating Syracuse would be "bigger", but beating the Boo Hoos would give us some bragging rights in the state, and probably aid recruiting down the road. For the past ever so many years, UVA football has barely been above FCS level.
thepostman wrote: August 12th, 2019, 9:16 am I am kind of bummed because something has now come up and I won't be making it to the Buffalo game. I am no sure if I am going to be able to make it to any others. We'll see what happens.
Looks like my schedule just cleared up for the Buffalo game....whenever that is 8)
By raven22a
I don't post much on here but the wait for the 31st is killing me. I started reading some of the SU Forums (which I shouldn't have) and read what most of SU fans are claiming that they are now a legitimate "Football School" again after one year of success and Liberty is about the same as Holy Cross and nothing to worry about. Not giving LU any respect at all actually. Now being a UT Vol Fan I can really appreciate their optimism wanting to go back to the glory days. So, I started researching SU Football to actually see when they were a legitimate Football School.

I went to SU's win/loss records for the pass 20 years. What I discovered is that SU has only had 9 winning seasons and 11 losing in 20 years. Several of the winning seasons, SU was only 500. What really peaked my attention is that after every winning season except for two, SU had a losing season. In fact, the two seasons that SU didn't have losing seasons SU did decline in wins. 2001 SU had the record of 10 -3 (Just like last year 2018) but with the same head coach (Paul Pasqualoni) in 2002 SU went 4 - 8.

SU's glory days seem to be late 50's and 60's and more recent in the late 80's through the mid 90's. Please don't think that I'm alluding to SU not being a very good team this year. But if history repeats itself, SU may not be as good as last and very beatable. Seems like SU has had a problem of sustainability, according to history.

Liberty will have to be on top of their game Aug 31st but it will not be impossible and I don't think it's going to be a Liberty beat down as people are predicting.

GoFlames / BeatSyracuse
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
raven22a wrote: August 13th, 2019, 7:39 pm I don't post much on here but the wait for the 31st is killing me. I started reading some of the SU Forums (which I shouldn't have) and read what most of SU fans are claiming that they are now a legitimate "Football School" again after one year of success and Liberty is about the same as Holy Cross and nothing to worry about. Not giving LU any respect at all actually. Now being a UT Vol Fan I can really appreciate their optimism wanting to go back to the glory days. So, I started researching SU Football to actually see when they were a legitimate Football School.

I went to SU's win/loss records for the pass 20 years. What I discovered is that SU has only had 9 winning seasons and 11 losing in 20 years. Several of the winning seasons, SU was only 500. What really peaked my attention is that after every winning season except for two, SU had a losing season. In fact, the two seasons that SU didn't have losing seasons SU did decline in wins. 2001 SU had the record of 10 -3 (Just like last year 2018) but with the same head coach (Paul Pasqualoni) in 2002 SU went 4 - 8.

SU's glory days seem to be late 50's and 60's and more recent in the late 80's through the mid 90's. Please don't think that I'm alluding to SU not being a very good team this year. But if history repeats itself, SU may not be as good as last and very beatable. Seems like SU has had a problem of sustainability, according to history.

Liberty will have to be on top of their game Aug 31st but it will not be impossible and I don't think it's going to be a Liberty beat down as people are predicting.

GoFlames / BeatSyracuse
We'll have our hands full. They are ranked 15-22 in various polls. Have 2 All-Americans, one being a top 5 pick in the NFL draft, an elite QB, a good passing and running game and a stout defense with big and experienced guys. Clemson had to come back and beat them at SU 23-20, last year from what I remember. We are definitely the new kids on the block and won't get any respect from anybody until we prove we can be competitive. We'll be at least 17 point underdogs.
By tyndal23
Chippy wrote: August 13th, 2019, 8:23 pm
raven22a wrote: August 13th, 2019, 7:39 pm I don't post much on here but the wait for the 31st is killing me. I started reading some of the SU Forums (which I shouldn't have) and read what most of SU fans are claiming that they are now a legitimate "Football School" again after one year of success and Liberty is about the same as Holy Cross and nothing to worry about. Not giving LU any respect at all actually. Now being a UT Vol Fan I can really appreciate their optimism wanting to go back to the glory days. So, I started researching SU Football to actually see when they were a legitimate Football School.

GoFlames / BeatSyracuse
We'll have our hands full. They are ranked 15-22 in various polls. Have 2 All-Americans, one being a top 5 pick in the NFL draft, an elite QB, a good passing and running game and a stout defense with big and experienced guys. Clemson had to come back and beat them at SU 23-20, last year from what I remember. We are definitely the new kids on the block and won't get any respect from anybody until we prove we can be competitive. We'll be at least 17 point underdogs.
Program history has almost zero to do with a current team and circumstance - it has a lot to do with preseason ranking, bowl selection, media bias and recruiting. Looking back on Syracuse past 20 years or LU past 20 years in relation to this year doesn’t tell you anything. Last year tells you a lot more, but still not nearly the whole picture - Syracuse do they have the leadership on both sides of the ball they had last year or will it take a few games to establish - ie. if LU jumps out to a quick lead do they have the ability to not panic and press too hard or does young QB get a little rattled? LU - can the vets run a brand new system efficiently with a new staff from opening snap? - can the D play together and communicate on all 3 levels - Special Teams - do we have any this year - none of that is in a 20 year Program history...
G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]

I'm not sure why anyone thought online would eve[…]

Longwood

Did you make the trip to Farmville?