Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Really looking forward to this game. And I'm impressed with the friendly welcome. Liberty fans are great. I'm really impressed by the fast growth of your campus.

Long term, it would be awesome if Liberty could join a Basketball conference like the Big East, or A10, and have a strong Football team.

Who are Liberty's traditional football rivals? Do you have any traditional rivals now that you are FBS?

Have you guys tried to schedule Notre Dame at all? BYU had a double, 2-for-1 deal with Notre Dame, who gladly allowed BYU to play them 2 times in South Bend, and then reneged on playing in Provo. Basically, they now refuse to honor the contract, and won't play in Provo. Notre Dame is the only school to do this to BYU since they went Independent. Hopefully you all have better luck with them, if you schedule them!

It will be interesting to see what channel picks up our game for this year. I'm predicting ESPNU or ESPN2. Hopefully the kickoff won't be too late, since you all are on Eastern time. My preference would be a noon kickoff (2:00 p.m. Eastern).
Now that we have moved to FBS we don't really have any traditional rivals. I would think that the ODU matchup could turn into a decent rivalry but there just isn't any history since we just moved up.

We are desperate to form a rivalry with someone, haha.
We are playing UVa two years in a row, aren't we? Study

The same is true for NMSU and UNM, but Ballcoach says those schools are too far away to be rivals. :nono
In order to make Independent football sustainable and exciting, I think you really need 3-4 annual rivalry games. If you don't, then you are really missing out on part of college football, in my opinion. BYU has tried to do this, but sometimes has struggled. Here is what it looks like for Notre Dame and BYU right now:

NOTRE DAME ANNUAL RIVALRIES:
1 - USC
2 - STANFORD
3 - NAVY
4 - BOSTON COLLEGE / PURDUE

BYU
1 - UTAH
2 - UTAH STATE
3 - BOISE STATE
4 - [LIBERTY] (would like to add this as an annual rivalry game---makes a lot of sense)
5 - (sometimes Hawaii)

LIBERTY
1 - BYU [see above about starting this rivalry]
2 - UMass?
3 - Old Dominion U?
4 -

Any regional / annual football rivalries that Liberty is pursuing?
I think they want to make a rivalry with ODU, especially after what happened in the previous meeting before the 52-10 rout by the Flames last September in Lynchburg.
Does BYU have a Quiz Bowl team? Study I know LU's Quiz Bowl team played Notre Dame at nationals in 2015 and led for 3 quarters.
Notre Dame challanged one of our correct answers, and the judges sided with ND. To this day, our captain swears her answer was right, and we were robbed! But we still beat Ohio State, Michigan, and South Carolina at nationals to finish #14 in the country.
Last edited by Cider Jim on May 22nd, 2019, 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Would love to have byu every year on the schedule. Im in the minority but id still love to see coastal on the schedule. I miss that rivalry. Distance wont matter. We just need byus admin to see the potential long term and we can help that by continue to win more and more.
Cider Jim wrote:Notre Dame challanged one of our correct answers, and the judges sided with ND. To this day, our captain swears her answer was right, and we were robbed! But we still beat Ohio State, Michigan, and South Carolina at nationals to finish #14 in the country.
I have seen the Golden Doomers on favorable end of "calls" before.
You have every right to your opinion but please explain yourself a bit more. ODU is an FBS school C-USA and is much more well known around the mid Atlantic region than Longwood and/or Radford.

ODU would be a perfect FBS program to play year in an year out. It makes a ton of sense for both programs.
ballcoach15 wrote:In my opinion. ODU is just % points above Radford and Longwood. I cannot see a rivalry developing with ODU.
I agree 100%. I can’t see LU starting a rivalry in football with either Longwood or Radford
thepostman wrote:You have every right to your opinion but please explain yourself a bit more. ODU is an FBS school C-USA and is much more well known around the mid Atlantic region than Longwood and/or Radford.

ODU would be a perfect FBS program to play year in an year out. It makes a ton of sense for both programs.
ODU went from not even having a football team to FBS in a relatively short amount of time. How they did it, I still haven't figured it out. When I think of the D1 schools in the state, ODU barely registers on my radar screen. In football, they are not an established school, in my opinion. They have no tradition.
ODU has an undergraduate enrollment of over 19,000 students and was a well established university when Liberty was still a small Bible college. I'm sure there are plenty of folks at ODU who barely had LU on the radar screen until last fall. We also don't have enough football "tradition" yet to be critical of anybody... In my opinion.
thepostman wrote:We don't really have tradition either, especially on the FBS level. What better way to build a rivalry with someone else trying to build up their FBS traditions as well.
Well see, this is logical and reasoned thinking. So.....
Old Red wrote:ODU has an undergraduate enrollment of over 19,000 students and was a well established university when Liberty was still a small Bible college. I'm sure there are plenty of folks at ODU who barely had LU on the radar screen until last fall. We also don't have enough football "tradition" yet to be critical of anybody... In my opinion.
Believe me, we are on ODU's radar now :lol: A friend is a 7 figure ODU donor and their insiders are saying we (LU) will be a consistent top 25 team before long. The question is will they want to have a top 25 team other than Tech on their schedule every year.

I don't know if it's changed since I went but the […]

Some statistics

Our team ERA currently sits at #78 nationally. Our[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

Agree. I’ll add to that- I think we’[…]

G5 Playoff Only

There are some rumblings among the AD’s of G[…]