Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Hello all.
Full disclosure: I am a BYU fan. (I come in peace, I promise!!).

Anyway, quite a few BYU fans are intrigued and excited about our upcoming football series. This has also raised the question among a lot of our fans on the BYU message board. Could BYU and Liberty start an annual football rivalry with each other? A lot of BYU fans feel like it could be a great fit.

Both BYU and Liberty are religious based schools, and Independent. We have a lot in common. I realize that geography is a challenge and that the schools are far away from each other. I also realize that BYU football is more advanced than Liberty at this point (Liberty is still transitioning from FCS to FBS). But... most BYU fans think that Liberty is only about 5-10 years from being a major football program. It's obviously that Liberty has money, and wants to develop their athletics. And a football rivalry would make sense. BYU has a lot of alums in Virginia.

Personally, I'm all for it. I think it could be a great, friendly rivalry. I hope that the admins of both schools pursue it.

Anyway, looking forward to the future series. And hoping it will lead to a closer alliance. And I think most BYU fans would love to develop a scheduling partnership with Liberty.

Best of luck on the upcoming season.
I am pretty intrigued with the potential of this matchup. It really could be a decent rival as both schools have very similar backgrounds which you mentioned. I think you'll find this to be a great place for discussion.

Welcome!
Another reason that some BYU fans like the idea of scheduling Liberty....

There is a real concern that within the next 10 years or so, a lot of schools might refuse to schedule BYU for football games. When BYU was being discussed for the BIG12, LGBT student groups protested BYU, and called for their schools to ban BYU (one group was at Iowa State, another at Kansas State). This is because the Mormon Church teaches that homosexual behavior is a sin. BYU as a university expects students not to engage in homosexual relationships while they are students. (We respect the right of everyone to act according to their own conscience, and beliefs, whether they disagree or agree with us). These student groups didn't like it, and called out BYU as a bigoted university, that is against the LGBT.

Not to get too political, but there is a trend at some of the traditional, liberal, state universities to "ban" anything or anyone that they don't agree with. There is a real possibility that student groups could protest their schools scheduling BYU in the future. Already, California law says that State Universities in California cannot schedule football games against schools in States that don't have liberal transgender bathroom laws (not a problem in Utah.... but a problem in some other States). https://thecomeback.com/ncaa/california ... -laws.html

Anyway, BYU is in the religious based West Coast Conference for basketball and olympic sports, so this sort of thing probably isn't a problem for its other sports. But for football, I think most BYU fans see the value in BYU developing some scheduling relationships with schools who won't protest the fact that BYU is a religious based school.

Anyway, just a few thoughts. Thanks!
A Sea of Red wrote:Great to have you on board, could you link the BYU message board you are referring to? I'm sure many of us would like to join in on the discussion over there.
Hi, the biggest BYU message board is https://www.cougarboard.com/

You probably won't be able to see the religious discussions (i.e., about the concern of BYU scheduling and LGBT protests), as politics, religious discussions, gay rights discussions, etc are topics that are behind a paywall by the site owner.

But there are those that would like to schedule Liberty (also, fair warning....there are posters there that are kind of arrogant, and think that BYU is "too good" for Liberty). We have all types, even jerks!

But I can assure you.... Many BYU fans really like the idea of scheduling Liberty. I think our ADs are also good friends with each other.
Welcome to the board BYU_Rich. I think Liberty would be very open to developing a rivalry with you guys and I would love to see it cross more sports than just Football. Would be a great fit for lots of reasons, and I would love to visit your part of the world more often:)

It's pretty civil here, and I think pretty active for a college message board...
BYU_Rich wrote:
A Sea of Red wrote:Great to have you on board, could you link the BYU message board you are referring to? I'm sure many of us would like to join in on the discussion over there.
Hi, the biggest BYU message board is https://www.cougarboard.com/

You probably won't be able to see the religious discussions (i.e., about the concern of BYU scheduling and LGBT protests), as politics, religious discussions, gay rights discussions, etc are topics that are behind a paywall by the site owner.

But there are those that would like to schedule Liberty (also, fair warning....there are posters there that are kind of arrogant, and think that BYU is "too good" for Liberty). We have all types, even jerks!

But I can assure you.... Many BYU fans really like the idea of scheduling Liberty. I think our ADs are also good friends with each other.
What? you have those too;) We get that a lot and probably deserve them, especially if you don't dig into Liberty and the money they are willing to spend on athletics.
Having an LU- BYU series/rivalry seems to be a no brainer. But I’m not sure if the Powers That Be would see it as anything as picking up some easy wins during LU’s damp up. IMO it meets several criteria for a solid non manufactured rivalry

And welcome to the Board
Welcome to the board!

I’d love a rivalry between our teams but I truly believe we’re missing a key aspect. We don't loathe BYU. I absolutely want a constant series and hope we develop a rivalry of familiarity but I think the lack of animosity will leave something to be desired. Our best bet for the rivalry is a close game and for our ADs to bring out a campy/tongue in cheek trophy that has some fun with the nature of our relationship.
For decades, our founder branded Liberty as a school for evangelical college students like what "Notre Dame is for Catholics and what BYU is for Mormons." And he meant that with the utmost respect for both schools.
Class of 20Something wrote:Welcome to the board!

I’d love a rivalry between our teams but I truly believe we’re missing a key aspect. We don't loathe BYU. I absolutely want a constant series and hope we develop a rivalry of familiarity but I think the lack of animosity will leave something to be desired. Our best bet for the rivalry is a close game and for our ADs to bring out a campy/tongue in cheek trophy that has some fun with the nature of our relationship.
The student body could all show up in white short sleeve shirts and black clip on ties :lol:
Assuming that BYU is up for it, and given both schools' scheduling hurdles (especially mid to late season), an annual football game is a no-brainer. Then, time will tell if a true rivalry develops.

The VA and NC ACC schools don't seem to have trouble scheduling LU - in a home-HOME-home format. The road trip for them is a short one for their team and fans. That said, you can only give away so many home games. Also, I fear that if we get better (which is what we want of course), some of that opportunity may dry up a bit.
Purple Haize wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:Welcome to the board!

The student body could all show up in white short sleeve shirts and black clip on ties :lol:
Paging Jerrys Jokers.
We travel to Provo this November. It will be interesting to see how we are viewed by the BYU fan base. We are obviously newbies, but this has the possibility to turn into something fun if more Cougar fans buy in to it. Let's start scheduling from 2025 on.
Thanks for the very friendly welcome!

Yes, I agree that a BYU vs Liberty football rivalry would not be an intense one----mostly because the two schools are not right next to each other, so there is no co-mingling of the fanbases.
But it would be a civil rivalry, which is fine. BYU already has annual rivalries with Utah and Utah State that can get out of hand, so a civil rivalry is a welcomed thing.

If a rivalry can be established, a trophy would help. The "Black Tie Trophy" is funny. Good idea, hahaha.

Both schools being independent, we both benefit from scheduling each other in October or November. I think the only thing holding it up right now is that Liberty sort of needs time to establish itself as it is transitioning to FBS. Let's hope the powers that be make it happen.
was actually surprised it wasn’t an auto annual schedule for both teams due to independent - until I saw how much better BYU scheduling is starting in 2019 ( tough games ). Would love LU to mimic your newfound scheduling philosophy - big P5 games in Sept, top tiered G5 and a couple easier independent games. I am in the minority for sure, but want LU to be considered P5 equivalent over G5 anything ASAP even if it means worse records.
Forget our old "Beat Coatal" t-shirts. We need some "Beat BYU" t-shirts! :nod
ballcoach15 wrote:I think the distance between the 2 schools will hinder a big rivalry,
Distance is irrelevant in this one. In fact I think it would enhance it. “Did you see what they did at their place last year?” will now take on greater significance in one upmanship It gives you an entire year to relish the victory or stew for revenge with 0 outlet because you won’t see their fans (unless one knocks on your door or you travel to Buena Vista)
Welcome to the board.
Would love to see an annual game against the Cougs. Makes a lot of sense for both schools. Will take us a little while to ramp up to the level of ball you play, however we will get there before too long.
USC and Notre Dame have a pretty healthy football rivalry and I suspect the geographical distance is pretty close to the same. It is definitely doable.
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]

LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

To suggest Cleveland won't start is pretty ignoran[…]