Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

JK37 wrote:Don’t worry, VT won’t be Top 25 again for awhile. LU can just fill that role as a replacement.
:rofl :clapping
ballcoach15 wrote:
thepostman wrote:You have every right to your opinion but please explain yourself a bit more. ODU is an FBS school C-USA and is much more well known around the mid Atlantic region than Longwood and/or Radford.

ODU would be a perfect FBS program to play year in an year out. It makes a ton of sense for both programs.
ODU went from not even having a football team to FBS in a relatively short amount of time. How they did it, I still haven't figured it out. When I think of the D1 schools in the state, ODU barely registers on my radar screen. In football, they are not an established school, in my opinion. They have no tradition.
You never cease to amaze me with your brainless comments. Let's see...they won the CUSA east in 2016, won a bowl game and before their move to FBS made back to back FCS playoff appearances getting to the second round each year, not to mention a newly rebuilt stadium with an increased capacity of 22,480 set to open this season. ODU has more "tradition" than LU. seriously stay on the softball board. :roll:
bigsmooth wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:
thepostman wrote:You have every right to your opinion but please explain yourself a bit more. ODU is an FBS school C-USA and is much more well known around the mid Atlantic region than Longwood and/or Radford.

ODU would be a perfect FBS program to play year in an year out. It makes a ton of sense for both programs.
ODU went from not even having a football team to FBS in a relatively short amount of time. How they did it, I still haven't figured it out. When I think of the D1 schools in the state, ODU barely registers on my radar screen. In football, they are not an established school, in my opinion. They have no tradition.
You never cease to amaze me with your brainless comments. Let's see...they won the CUSA east in 2016, won a bowl game and before their move to FBS made back to back FCS playoff appearances getting to the second round each year, not to mention a newly rebuilt stadium with an increased capacity of 22,480 set to open this season. ODU has more "tradition" than LU. seriously stay on the softball board. :roll:
It’s comments like this that make me question his proficiency in his sport of choice: Softball.
Game just inked. Wish we could have landed the date ...... "Northern Illinois will travel to take on the Notre Dame Fighting Irish at Notre Dame Stadium in South Bend, Indiana, on Sept. 7, 2024. The game will mark the first-ever meeting between the two teams on the football field."
ODU, Coastal and BYU are all home runs for future rival games. ODU is the heart of the 757 recruiting bed. We already know what it looks like with Coastal so that would be fun to see again. I love BYU from multiple aspects. First, Provo is absolutely breathtaking. Top 10 stadium views IMHO. They have similar values and campus guidelines. And to be frank, they're very competitive in football most years. I am planning on the next game in Provo if it is ever scheduled.
Kolzilla41 wrote:ODU, Coastal and BYU are all home runs for future rival games. ODU is the heart of the 757 recruiting bed. We already know what it looks like with Coastal so that would be fun to see again. I love BYU from multiple aspects. First, Provo is absolutely breathtaking. Top 10 stadium views IMHO. They have similar values and campus guidelines. And to be frank, they're very competitive in football most years. I am planning on the next game in Provo if it is ever scheduled.
Of the 3 I think ODU would be the best bet for a true Rivalry. Everything just sort of lined up right for it to happen. BYU would be a great “National” Rivalry. Unlike ODU the schools won’t be competing for State recruits but the religious “differences” make it intriguing
Coastal. Meh
Purple Haize wrote:Of the 3 I think ODU would be the best bet for a true Rivalry. Everything just sort of lined up right for it to happen. BYU would be a great “National” Rivalry. Unlike ODU the schools won’t be competing for State recruits but the religious “differences” make it intriguing
Coastal. Meh
It is not often I agree with Haize, thus a reply here is needed and noteworthy.

1. Agree with the BYU "national rivalry" theory...the games with BYU will attract a national audience...who wouldn't be intrigued by two distinctly religious schools with "backwards" behavior codes matching up on the gridiron? The national football pundits would have a field day of sorts.

2. Local Geography...ODU all the way. Someone has to take the crown as the third best FBS school in the state...why not LU? IF the continued series is anything like the first two games...expect this to be THE rivalry for LU moving forward.

3. Coastal is done. Gone. One for the history books. It was fun while it lasted, but we have since gone our separate ways. Good riddance to the Coastal rivalry. We'll always "hate" each other...but students from either school in 2023 won't remember much about blocked field goals or Big South Titles...shared or otherwise.

Let us be real - would we rather have a rivalry with ODU/BYU or....Coastal? Many laughs!
I completely agree with the ODU and BYU rival possibilities, the other more obvious one to me would be with UMass. First of all, they are our closest Independent opponent, we had an exciting OT game with them last year, and most importantly, both programs need each other. Who knows, maybe down the road, UMass could help us in a all-sports conference invite. Either way, we should do more to get all 3 schools on our regular schedules in all sports. Just my 2 cents.
It'll really depend on the quality of the games that week. According to my calculations that is week 11 so we have a good chance to get on ESPN (ABC doesn't do a ton of G5 games unless you have a situation like UCF last year)
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]