Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Gotta play some stuff aimed at the students. For the rest, I really think there are things the :oldhag :oldhag will love and the students will appreciate too. Who doesn't like Motown classics?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I would look at having some sort of concert pre game or post game with the artist also performing at halftime
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:
jinxy wrote:The music is just flat awful most of the time. Its unanimous among anybody i bring and truly a barrier towards keeping visitors there.

I don't mind some of the music but if the band was better that would help bridge the gap some because so much of college is the band and ours is just meh.
Yep and as far as the band goes I'm pleased. My only wish is to see some NEW routines. I've hit every home game for 11 years and the halftime routines stay the same year after year.
That is a balancing act in and of itself. Dr. Kerr has always seen the band as a "corps style" and the shows have been written accordingly. Ohio State is a show band (and a large one at that) and so their routines have been written accordingly. HBCUs are show bands for the most part as well. Changing from a show style band to a corps style isn't something a) to be taken lightly and b) done in one year. TO be able to offer a new routine every week will require a change in the philosophy of what the band is and the drill will need to be written accordingly. It also will require a change in how often or how long the band practices because to learn new drill (no matter how simple or complex)each week will take time.

I'm not saying I don't think it can be done (or should be done), I'm saying that there are more layers to it than most on the outside would understand.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Didn't we hire a guy from Virginia Tech to upgrade our game day experience? He’s probably been focusing on seating, parking, facilities, traffic flows, etc. Maybe this year he looks more closely at the pre-game music and some new halftime routines. With all the famous musicians Liberty’s had over the years they should book one for homecoming weekend. A Friday night concert then a quick song at halftime. If we can get the #24 car on and off the field we should be able to get Michael Tait on and off.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:
TH Spangler wrote:
jinxy wrote:The music is just flat awful most of the time. Its unanimous among anybody i bring and truly a barrier towards keeping visitors there.

I don't mind some of the music but if the band was better that would help bridge the gap some because so much of college is the band and ours is just meh.
Yep and as far as the band goes I'm pleased. My only wish is to see some NEW routines. I've hit every home game for 11 years and the halftime routines stay the same year after year.
That is a balancing act in and of itself. Dr. Kerr has always seen the band as a "corps style" and the shows have been written accordingly. Ohio State is a show band (and a large one at that) and so their routines have been written accordingly. HBCUs are show bands for the most part as well. Changing from a show style band to a corps style isn't something a) to be taken lightly and b) done in one year. TO be able to offer a new routine every week will require a change in the philosophy of what the band is and the drill will need to be written accordingly. It also will require a change in how often or how long the band practices because to learn new drill (no matter how simple or complex)each week will take time.

I'm not saying I don't think it can be done (or should be done), I'm saying that there are more layers to it than most on the outside would understand.
Maybe it is time to change some things then. It can't really get much worse. The ONLY time anyone sitting in the Club seats watch the halftime show is when it is military day. There just isn't anything interesting to watch.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:Gotta play some stuff aimed at the students. For the rest, I really think there are things the :oldhag :oldhag will love and the students will appreciate too. Who doesn't like Motown classics?
60's music is the best ever written and performed. However, I can certainly understand it is not for today's students. (Even though my kids love it). I agree with whoever said it before, Rap is horrible and takes little talent. Plus it sucks.
But I understand that I am one of those "old white donors" (for which I have no apologies) and that the students are more important. 8) I actually come to the games to watch football, not to be entertained with music, etc. :football
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:
thepostman wrote:I think technically it surpassed rock music around the world 2 or 3 years ago.
The first hip hop record came out in 1979, 40 years ago. Other than memorizing the lyrics I don't see much talent involved. I know I'm old, but to be honest everyone in my group just tries to survive the racket until the game starts. :lol:
And this.
TH Spangler wrote:Didn't we hire a guy from Virginia Tech to upgrade our game day experience? He’s probably been focusing on seating, parking, facilities, traffic flows, etc. Maybe this year he looks more closely at the pre-game music and some new halftime routines. With all the famous musicians Liberty’s had over the years they should book one for homecoming weekend. A Friday night concert then a quick song at halftime. If we can get the #24 car on and off the field we should be able to get Michael Tait on and off.
We tried this 12 years ago and it bombed. I can't imagine it'd go much better in 2019.
flameshaw wrote:But I understand that I am one of those "old white donors" (for which I have no apologies) and that the students are more important. 8) I actually come to the games to watch football, not to be entertained with music, etc. :football
This is a distinction I think is really important. At 32 - I fully acknowledge I'm in the old white guy camp. I had my time for things to be catered to me. Whether it's football, church, tv, or whatever, I understand the time for my desires to be the most important are gone. I'd rather the game environment be centered around the current students mostly and younger kids secondarily. If the students are creating a great environment and my kids can be entertained, I'll be set up to watch the football game which is what I'm actually there for.
By LUDad
Jonathan Carone wrote:
flameshaw wrote:But I understand that I am one of those "old white donors" (for which I have no apologies) and that the students are more important. 8) I actually come to the games to watch football, not to be entertained with music, etc. :football
This is a distinction I think is really important. At 32 - I fully acknowledge I'm in the old white guy camp. I had my time for things to be catered to me. Whether it's football, church, tv, or whatever, I understand the time for my desires to be the most important are gone. I'd rather the game environment be centered around the current students mostly and younger kids secondarily. If the students are creating a great environment and my kids can be entertained, I'll be set up to watch the football game which is what I'm actually there for.
Thanks a lot! So now where do I fit in? :(
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Thanks a lot! So now where do I fit in? :(
"Geezer" like a lot of us here :oldhag
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I’ve always said the football team should come out of the tunnel with Audio Adrenaline and Steven Curtis Chapman. For some reason, no one seems to take me seriously.
jbock13 wrote:I’ve always said the football team should come out of the tunnel with Audio Adrenaline and Steven Curtis Chapman. For some reason, no one seems to take me seriously.
The entry music is fine.

I like to watch pre-game warm ups, that's when I wish they would mix it up more. And maybe a few player/coach clips on the big screen during warm ups. GameOn does great work, use some of their clips during warm ups.
By jimflamesfan
Registration Days Posts
We have a drone program at LU.
This being the case, couldn't we have a lighted led drone show in the sky where the drones make a football and the LU logo? Like the drone show they did at the opening ceremonies for the last olympics. That would be epic! No one else does that, and I think we could make it happen!!
P.S. I love the marching band.
flameshaw wrote:
oldflame wrote:Gotta play some stuff aimed at the students. For the rest, I really think there are things the :oldhag :oldhag will love and the students will appreciate too. Who doesn't like Motown classics?
60's music is the best ever written and performed. However, I can certainly understand it is not for today's students. (Even though my kids love it). I agree with whoever said it before, Rap is horrible and takes little talent. Plus it sucks.
But I understand that I am one of those "old white donors" (for which I have no apologies) and that the students are more important. 8) I actually come to the games to watch football, not to be entertained with music, etc. :football
60's music was the best music ever, plus some 80's country music. This stuff they do today isn't nothing but "noise", including rock, country, and even most Christian music.
KendrikLamarAlxander wrote:Whatever the players and students like is good for me. Is there anything more cringe than when this Carone guy uses “white” as a pejorative?
Those kind of comments are in his DNA :lol:

ACC pregame play list are a lot classier more up scale than ours. They mix it up way better. :idea:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
No comments from Ballcoach? He will have his NASCAR headphones on anyway, so I don't guess it matters.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Sorry I missed that, Ballcoach. Your comments were under what you were quoting! :typing

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]