Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

My wife and I were driving to Myrtle the other day and I requested my rock playlist to help keep me awake. We started talking about the music playlist in the last half hour before the game.

We did agree that they need to have a deliberate playlist during the immediate pregame. I'm partial to playing some of the harder songs by TFK, Skillet, The Score, and even some Saliva.

On the team entrance side of things. Serious pyrotechnics and control of the stadium lighting could help a ton. I think we need a song to keep. My vote is Fire it Up by TFK.

Also not compromising the pregame theatrics because of weather.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
DO we think the students have even HEARD of the bands mentioned above.

Personally, I have always liked "Welcome to the Show" (Actual title "Ladies and Gentlemen") by Saliva. Light Em Up by Fall Out Boy could become "our song" much like Enter Sandman has become iconic with Virginia Tech or Hang on Sloopy with Ohio State
I think it's less about the bands and more about the tone. I was trying to give examples, but I would say a decent portion of the fanbase is going to know TFK and Skillet.

I know the Score has been used in football social media posts as recently as spring ball.

I think the pop (read Taylor Swift and contemporaries) doesn't help build the atmosphere. I could make an example playlist on Spotify if it would help. I want music that makes me want to run through a wall, not change the station from K92.
Class of 20Something wrote:I think it's less about the bands and more about the tone. I was trying to give examples, but I would say a decent portion of the fanbase is going to know TFK and Skillet.

I know the Score has been used in football social media posts as recently as spring ball.

I think the pop (read Taylor Swift and contemporaries) doesn't help build the atmosphere. I could make an example playlist on Spotify if it would help. I want music that makes me want to run through a wall, not change the station from K92.
But it’s not about what 30-something and older guys want. Our atmosphere is totally centered around what the students want. They don’t want a rock show. They want a party.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I've been to Wake, UNC, VA Tech and NC State home games. NC State had the best pre-game mix, something for everyone.

Not football, but at the Wake baseball game I hit they played a bunch of country :lol:
Jonathan Carone wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:I think it's less about the bands and more about the tone. I was trying to give examples, but I would say a decent portion of the fanbase is going to know TFK and Skillet.

But it’s not about what 30-something and older guys want. Our atmosphere is totally centered around what the students want. They don’t want a rock show. They want a party.
Hey! Don't make me older than I already am!

I can see the party atmosphere argument, but they still miss the mark on that some.

We can all agree, Generation Z is different.
By Ewglenn
Jonathan Carone wrote:

Exactly, I used to hate playing in high school and coming out to the same Back in Black every Friday. It was so boring. I’m 28 but we need to center it around what the students/players are going to prefer. It makes it easier to recruit doing it that way.
I don’t think the right comparison is the ACC schools where they are catering to old white boosters.

At Liberty, what makes our atmosphere incredible is that literal sea of 7500 students. Without them, our environment would be terrible. I would argue 75% of what we do game environment wise should be geared towards them.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
It certainly is a balancing act because Jon is right, what makes our atmosphere so good is how much we cater to the students. Since we have done that, the students have remained pretty loyal. But now the problem is the stadium is larger so we need to build up a season ticket base so in catering to the students will they be able to do that? The jury is still out on that one and it'll be interesting to see how that unfolds.
thepostman wrote:It certainly is a balancing act because Jon is right, what makes our atmosphere so good is how much we cater to the students. Since we have done that, the students have remained pretty loyal. But now the problem is the stadium is larger so we need to build up a season ticket base so in catering to the students will they be able to do that? The jury is still out on that one and it'll be interesting to see how that unfolds.
Lets see, we have 25,000 seats to fill. That means we need 17,500 "old white” guys and gals to show up with their friends and family. Simple math tells you whom to focus on. I’m an LU football fan and could listen to just about anything and enjoy attending games. But to be honest, most of my guests aren’t and they mumble about all the extra loud rap style music. I would mix it up like they do over at at NC State.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
That is probably why they will have to start mixing it up but if they completely start ignoring the students, the most vocal part of their fan base right now, then it could come back to bite them.
That’s why I say 75/25. The students are the life blood of the environment. They have to come first. Without the environment, most casual fans aren’t coming out to just watch us play football. But you can’t ignore them either.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Live and die by the students. Look at the last 2 games to see what relying on them looks like. All for catering some but they wont be what takes the program to the next level. Developing the fan/giving base more will. The music is just flat awful most of the time. Its unanimous among anybody i bring and truly a barrier towards keeping visitors there. Beyond weather winning and opponents its the biggest barrier we have that we can control or moderate.

I dont mind some of the music but if the band was better that would help bridge the gap some because so much of college is the band and ours is just meh.
By LUOrange
TH Spangler wrote:I've been to Wake, UNC, VA Tech and NC State home games. NC State had the best pre-game mix, something for everyone.

Not football, but at the Wake baseball game I hit they played a bunch of country :lol:
I've been to Wake twice for football games against my Orangemen, and it is quite possibly one of the worst environments for a college football game. The students barely show up, and their home/Baptist side is on life support. If not for the games, which my Orangemen won both, I would've been bored out of my mind.

I've followed Liberty to Tech and UVA, and all three schools have a great atmosphere.

I do wish that Liberty would back off of some of the rap music, especially the newer stuff. I was pleasantly surprised by the rock music that they used in the spring practice videos. As for an entrance, I'd suggest either Light'em Up or Centuries. My preference would be Light'em Up since we've used it in the past on promos and Alan York uses it as his TD catchphrase.
jinxy wrote:The music is just flat awful most of the time. Its unanimous among anybody i bring and truly a barrier towards keeping visitors there.

I dont mind some of the music but if the band was better that would help bridge the gap some because so much of college is the band and ours is just meh.
Yep and as far as the band goes I'm pleased. My only wish is to see some NEW routines. Ive hit every home game for 11 years and the halftime routines stay the same year after year.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I couldnt care less about the intro song. Thats more for the players to me. Its after that than any music would be appreciated other than the absolute garbage we play. Band wise. I agree. That is my problem as well. Its the Same exact stuff. The traditional stuff like the fight song etc should be the same but not the same halftime every single year.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Technically the #1 music genre is hip hop/r&b but yeah it is what it is. But honestly, I'm not a fan most of the music played regardless of genre which is why I am not the person who should be making the musical choices.
Jonathan Carone wrote:Re: rap music.

It’s the #1 genre in the world. We’re gonna have to get used to it being used more than anything else.
Yes, for 30 years. And it's time to move on. :lol:
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
The music is ok, but they are not going to play what I want anyway, so it doesn't really matter.
I will say the band is HORRIBLE and has been since 1973, (or when we first had one). We can do a whole lot better IMHO. There has been no improvement in last 20 years anyway.
thepostman wrote:I think technically it surpassed rock music around the world 2 or 3 years ago.
The first hip hop record came out in 1979, 40 years ago. Other than memorizing the lyrics I don't see much talent involved. I know I'm old, but to be honest everyone in my group just tries to survive the racket until the game starts. :lol:
2024 Recruiting Discussion

When you have a chance to pick up a talent like th[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]