Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

Some things to chew on that Orlando Sentinel may be using in their predictions:

2010 Arkansas St (4-8)
2011 Arkansas St. (w Freeze) (10-2) + 6

2011 Ole Miss (2-10)
2012 Ole Miss (w Freeze) (7-6) + 5

Any way you slice it that is impressive. Taking two teams with losing records to atleast 5 win improvements and 2 bowl games is eye-popping.

Orlando Sentinel may be thinking if he did that at those two programs then he could potentially do that or similar say a 3 win improvement at LU.

Looking forward to seeing where we land according to this papers prediction.
For those of you who like digging into this stuff then here is another one. Lambuth University was 4-6 in 2007, but with Freeze in 2008 they went 8-4. The track record speaks for itself in what he can potentially do in year one.
So an extra three wins would be the worst improvement he has done in his first year? I'll take 9-3.

I'm just excited to see what he's drawn up in the past two years without anyone to use it on.

Tactical question. Do you preserve some portions of the playbook for later in the season or pull out all the stops if we're within a score of Syracuse at the start of the 4th?
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I believe it is not realistic to expect us to win 3 or more more games than we did last year. We are playing a tougher schedule with a new coaching staff, system, lots of new players, etc.
I would be very happy with becoming bowl eligible and would be ecstatic to be invited and participate in our first-ever bowl game.
I am right there with ya Flameshaw on the excitement of just being bowl eligible. Regardless of the lack of attendance at bowl games over the past few years for the players, coaches, fans and universities it is still a big deal.

Though to some it may not be realistic to expect 3 more wins than last year with a (possibly) tougher schedule it is still interesting to see what Freeze and his staff and players were able to accomplish in his first years at Lambuth, Arky St.& Ole Miss with like you said a new system.

Guess we will have to wait and see what happens in a little over 3 months!
Class of 20Something wrote:So an extra three wins would be the worst improvement he has done in his first year? I'll take 9-3.

I'm just excited to see what he's drawn up in the past two years without anyone to use it on.

Tactical question. Do you preserve some portions of the playbook for later in the season or pull out all the stops if we're within a score of Syracuse at the start of the 4th?
I think Herm Edwards famous quote fits my feelings on your question, "you play to win the game." haha.

If we are within a score to Syracuse and our staff does preserve some of the playbook and we lose due to being a little vanilla with our play calling then I bet you the staff regrets not opening up the playbook. Go big or go home.
By Jonathan Carone
Bowl eligible and a bowl win gets us two more wins than last year. That’s absolutely within the realm of possibility. I’m not making it my expectation because I’d rather exceed expectations than get Liberty’d, but it’s possible.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:So an extra three wins would be the worst improvement he has done in his first year? I'll take 9-3.

Let's not forget we are no longer talking about Joe Dailey being the man drawing up the plays. HF could throw the whole playbook at Syracuse and he will just come up with new stuff and/or tweak the ones we used for the next opponent.
By tyndal23
Jonathan Carone wrote:Bowl eligible and a bowl win gets us two more wins than last year. That’s absolutely within the realm of possibility. I’m not making it my expectation because I’d rather exceed expectations than get Liberty’d, but it’s possible.
7 wins reg season would most likely mean 5-5 in FBS games with 4 of those games being P5 ( BYU counting as P5). Sweep the state of New Mexico - that is 3, Buffalo - Home is 4 - that leaves Umass on the road to get us to 5 or Louisiana on the road. That is a realistic expectation and a good season - 5-1 vs G5, 2 and 0 vs FCS. Do all that then pull 1 P5 upset - and it is a really good season. Rutgers program isn’t pretty but they still have athletes and they played certain types of Big 10 teams very tough - I don’t chalk that up as an easy road win.
By Jonathan Carone
tyndal23 wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Bowl eligible and a bowl win gets us two more wins than last year. That’s absolutely within the realm of possibility. I’m not making it my expectation because I’d rather exceed expectations than get Liberty’d, but it’s possible.
7 wins reg season would most likely mean 5-5 in FBS games with 4 of those games being P5 ( BYU counting as P5). Sweep the state of New Mexico - that is 3, Buffalo - Home is 4 - that leaves Umass on the road to get us to 5 or Louisiana on the road. That is a realistic expectation and a good season - 5-1 vs G5, 2 and 0 vs FCS. Do all that then pull 1 P5 upset - and it is a really good season. Rutgers program isn’t pretty but they still have athletes and they played certain types of Big 10 teams very tough - I don’t chalk that up as an easy road win.
The road map is definitely there. I'm just jaded til I see it happen.
By tyndal23
Reality is 5-7 is a very real possibility and not necessarily a terrible season depending on circumstance - ( injuries, and type of lossss ) for a 1st year FBS team. We are 6-6 on paper. We have to catch some good breaks to get to 7-5 and 8-4. Coaching will absolutely help but can only go so far if you don’t have the depth. I won’t judge HF on this season alone - really want to see him get his players in here - ( only has half a class - if that - so far ). Yes - he is walking in to a good situation with our experience on O, but still...
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:Reality is 5-7 is a very real possibility and not necessarily a terrible season depending on circumstance - ( injuries, and type of lossss ) for a 1st year FBS team. We are 6-6 on paper. We have to catch some good breaks to get to 7-5 and 8-4. Coaching will absolutely help but can only go so far if you don’t have the depth. I won’t judge HF on this season alone - really want to see him get his players in here - ( only has half a class - if that - so far ). Yes - he is walking in to a good situation with our experience on O, but still...
8 wins or we recall Gill! :lol:
By Ewglenn
tyndal23 wrote:Reality is 5-7 is a very real possibility and not necessarily a terrible season depending on circumstance - ( injuries, and type of lossss ) for a 1st year FBS team. We are 6-6 on paper. We have to catch some good breaks to get to 7-5 and 8-4. Coaching will absolutely help but can only go so far if you don’t have the depth. I won’t judge HF on this season alone - really want to see him get his players in here - ( only has half a class - if that - so far ). Yes - he is walking in to a good situation with our experience on O, but still...
This years schedule isn’t much more difficult than last years. A 5-7 record is absolutely a disappointment. I’m not saying I will hold it against Freeze but he is falling into a perfect situation with the talent (perfect 1 and done situation). This is an FBS starting group (good G5 level talent with the starters) so without major injuries at a lot of positions I would say 7-5 is the minimum. Rutgers is a dumpster fire, remember the 42-13 thumping Buffalo gave them last year?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote:
This years schedule isn’t much more difficult than last years. A 5-7 record is absolutely a disappointment. I’m not saying I will hold it against Freeze but he is falling into a perfect situation with the talent (perfect 1 and done situation). This is an FBS starting group (good G5 level talent with the starters) so without major injuries at a lot of positions I would say 7-5 is the minimum. Rutgers is a dumpster fire, remember the 42-13 thumping Buffalo gave them last year?
The worst disappointment? A 5-7 record and HCHF leaves for a mid level P5 job. See? It could be worse
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
tyndal23 wrote:
I'm jaded .
FIFY

Ive taken a break from the boards for a while, mainly because I have not made time to log on from work in a while. But some things will never change no matter what happens. One of those will be SJ being Jaded. Good to be back :)
By R i
Registration Days Posts
I don't think anyone anticipated top 100, but low 90s is wild to me. Hugh elevated the national view of our program more than any of us could have anticipated.

Going to be a fun season. #GoFlames
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:LU will be low 90’s high 80’s
R i wrote:I don't think anyone anticipated top 100, but low 90s is wild to me. Hugh elevated the national view of our program more than any of us could have anticipated.

You’re welcome
By Jonathan Carone
R i wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote: I'm jaded .
FIFY

Ive taken a break from the boards for a while, mainly because I have not made time to log on from work in a while. But some things will never change no matter what happens. One of those will be SJ being Jaded. Good to be back :)
That’s not true though. I’m not jaded towards basketball at all because Ritchie has proven he’s doing it the right way over and over.

I’m willing to assume the positive again, but I’m more guarded to who I give that out to before they’ve proven they deserve it.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Turner Gill guided the Liberty program to at least a share of four Big Sky Conference titles

:dontgetit
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote:
R i wrote:I don't think anyone anticipated top 100, but low 90s is wild to me. Hugh elevated the national view of our program more than any of us could have anticipated.

You’re welcome
Purple, so proud of your growth - you took a chance, made a prediction and had an original thought that paid off - isn’t that more fun than just bashing every one else’s posts? Keep it up...:)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

You’re welcome
Purple, so proud of your growth - you took a chance, made a prediction and had an original thought that paid off - isn’t that more fun than just bashing every one else’s posts? Keep it up...:)

Shut up poopy head :lol:
Purple Haize wrote:
tyndal23 wrote:

Shut up poopy head :lol:
POTY Nominee
2024 Recruiting Discussion

UVA playing against a mid-pack MEAC team is their […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]

New Mexico State

Final home CUSA 3 game series, starts tonight. NM[…]