Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By CuseFan73
Hello, Liberty faithful! As you can probably tell from my screen name, I am a Syracuse fan from Central New York. I will be coming to Lynchburg for our season opener against you guys this coming year, and I just want to say from the outset that I absolutely cannot wait. I really love what your university represents, have tremendous respect for Jerry Falwell, and am looking very much forward to exploring the campus while I am in Lynchburg. Sitting here with my fingers crossed that you guys will bring in some awesome speaker for your convocation that weekend.....Very jealous at those of you who got to see Jordan Peterson a couple of weeks ago!

But, of course, the big reason for going is the football game, and that's what I wanted to talk about a bit with you folks. What is the general expectation of the Liberty fanbase as it relates to both this game and the 2019 season? Are you expecting a large crowd since it's an ACC team coming in? Correct me if I am wrong, but I think you folks have actually hosted some P5's already, so perhaps that factor isn't as large as it was for Western Michigan when we opened in Kalamazoo last year. Any commentary on your teams strengths and weaknesses is very much appreciated. Perhaps this is presumptuous, but I will try to preemptively answer some questions you may have as far as Syracuse is concerned.

We are coming off a 10-3 season last year, our first 10 win season and first ranking since 2001. Going into year four of Dino Babers program, there's a bit of variety of expectation, but at the end of the day the variety is within the realm of fairly high to very high expectations. Some fans look at our schedule and see 10-2/11-1 with an outside shot at getting to the college football playoff. Some think we take a step back into that 7-5/8-4 level (very few to none expect worse than that). Personally, I think a 9-3 regular season sounds correct, wouldn't be shocked at either 8-4 or 10-2. Anything beyond that, in my view, would either be especially exciting or disappointing.

We lose Eric Dungey, who some of you may recognize from having gotten a bit more press as the season went on last year. That being said, a lot of Syracuse fans actually believe our new quarterback is superior to Dungey. Tommy DeVito came into the Florida State and North Carolina games for us last year, and won both. He arguably saved us from an awful loss against North Carolina, in a game where Dungey struggled. DeVito has a cannon and can make any throw on the field, though is not as good a runner as Dungey was. We are very strong at receiver and running back, the big question on offense is the line. We lose 3 starters from last year, though there was a 6th offensive lineman (Sam Heckel) who started in 2017 and played so many snaps in 2018 that he can almost be considered a returning starter. The big question on offense will be plugging those two other holes on the line. If we do it, this offense can put up a ton of points. If not, there will be regression.

On defense, we lose a pair of all ACC guys in Ryan Guthrie at middle linebacker and Chris Slayton at defensive tackle. Though we return everyone else in the front 7 (assuming our starting middle linebacker makes it back from academic suspension), replacing those guys is going to determine how we hold up against the run. On the back end, the secondary has a lot of young talent and seems to get better every season. Special teams wise, we have an all ACC punter and a Lou Groza award winning kicker. Sean Riley also proved dangerous as a return man last year. Overall, most people think that whether or not Syracuse is better than last year will be dependent on whether or not Tommy DeVito is better than Eric Dungey. If he is, we should be. If not, we likely regress to some degree.

Alright, this is the sixth paragraph already, so I will end this rambling post here. Cannot wait to engage with you all going into August, can't wait to learn more about your team, and am really looking forward to the trip to Lynchburg!
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Welcome to the board and hope you have a great time in Lynchburg. I believe this game will be close to a sellout. We have a lot of areas for standing room only, but I suspect that most of the stadium seats will be full.
Syracuse will be the best team that we have ever had visit our university.
The outlook for our team this year is really an unknown. It is our first year with a new coach and a lot of new/ un-tested talent. Not sure what to say our strengths or weaknesses are, being that we will be in a new system. If forced to make a guess, I would say our strength is our starting QB and running backs. Have a couple of very good receivers, but the OL is a big question mark. We have a lot of veterans but their play has been spotty. We will also have a couple of guys who will probably be playing their first game at LU in the lineup/mix.
Our defense is a total crap shoot in my opinion. We could be good to very, very poor. Lots of new people will be playing. I just hate to venture a guess at this time.
If I had to bet, I expect that you guys will beat us by 17-20 points, of course I am hoping we pull off a major upset. We have played some pretty big schools and beat a couple, but no one with the quality of players that you guys will bring to the Burg.
I am thinking that we will qualify for a bowl game this year, we just have to find out if there is a fit, with all of the automatic tie ins.
Our crowds are pretty fickle. If we are doing well, they will really get into the game. However, depending on how the game is going, we sometimes have a significant exit at halftime. You will enjoy the atmosphere for sure.
I am sure that many others will chime in here shortly. Hope you have a safe trip and enjoy the game.
Last edited by flameshaw on April 16th, 2019, 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Hope you plan to make a weekend of it. The Snowflex is a blast, especially the tubing runs, and there's some awesome historic sites and beer/wine facilities within a reasonable distance to get you back in time to tailgate and the game.
I'll defer to the more seasoned Flames fans for that info but don't be a stranger over the summer
Last edited by BJWilliams on April 17th, 2019, 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
By tyndal23
flameshaw wrote:Welcome to the board and hope you have a great time in Lynchburg. I believe this game will be close to a sellout. We have a lot of areas for standing room only, but I suspect that most of the stadium seats will be full.
Syracuse will be the best team that we have ever had visit our university.
The outlook for our team this year is really an unknown. It is our first year with a new coach and a lot of new/ un-tested talent. Not sure what to say our strengths or weaknesses are, being that we will be in a new system. If forced to make a guess, I would say our strength is our starting QB and running backs. Have a couple of very good receivers, but the OL is a big question mark. We have a lot of veterans but their play has been spotty. We will also have a couple of guys who will probably be playing their first game at LU in the lineup/mix.
Our defense is a total crap shoot in my opinion. We could be good to very, very poor. Lots of new people will be playing. I just hate to venture a guess at this time.
If I had to bet, I expect that you guys will beat us by 17-20 points, of course I am hoping we pull off a major upset. We have played some pretty big schools and beat a couple, but no one with the quality of players that you guys will bring to the Burg.
I am thinking that we will qualify for a bowl game this year, we just have to find out if there is a fit, with all of the automatic tie ins.
Our crowds are pretty fickle. If we are doing well, they will really get into the game. However, depending on how the game is going, we sometimes have a significant exit at halftime. You will enjoy the atmosphere for sure.
I am sure that many others will chime in here shortly. Hope you have a safe trip and enjoy the game.
Expect a tough 1st half with LU stressing your D. LU will get yards, game will depend a lot if they can convert in to early points and keep pressure on Cuse. Dino will regroup and come out running power right at us and trying to wear out our D Line which is good on the edge, decent at tackles but with not much depth. If you are able to go over the top for some big plays Syracuse will pull away late 3rd early 4th - if your QB struggles then you will be in for a dog fight. Our QB has played great in openers, Our O Line is experienced and can hang well enough, receivers are legit, big on the outside and great speed at slot. RB’s capable but not to be overly feared ( none that will take it to the house speed ) but decent steady 4 yard per carry guys. TE very athletic and will do some damage as a receiver. LB’s should be decent, safeties have to be much improved or you will torch us ( Freeze was pretty happy with secondary after spring ball - much to many of fan base surprise ). His main concern was D Line depth but we have some horses coming in that will be JUCO transfers and or big boys with no experience but can hopefully plug a run gap. I expect LU to be a 17 point home dog at the opening line... Our recent seasons under old staff were to start off hot in Sept, hit a huge wall, then finish decent in Nov when there wasn’t anything to play for except salvaging a season- I predict it takes LU a bit to really put it together and be a much better team at end of year than beginning ( but hoping for a big early upset )
By Ewglenn
Offense should be good and put up some points. Defense is going to be improved but average at best. I don’t really feel like breaking the game down yet because I’ll have to see how fall camp goes but I’ll be the homer and say LU wins a close game 38-35 and shocks college football again.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Ewglenn wrote:Offense should be good and put up some points. Defense is going to be improved but average at best. I don’t really feel like breaking the game down yet because I’ll have to see how fall camp goes but I’ll be the homer and say LU wins a close game 38-35 and shocks college football again.
I think you are correct.
By CuseFan73
Thank you folks so much for the warm welcome! If you guys had to point out your team’s biggest strength and biggest weakness, what would it be? On our end, the biggest strength is the depth of talent at running back and wide receiver, while the biggest weakness would be our inexperience at tackle on offense and linebacker on defense. We will likely have a pair of new tackles (though one will be the guy who started at center last year) and likely have 2/3 starters at linebacker being new.

If I were a fan of a smaller school trying to think about how my team beats Syracuse, dominating the edge on defense has to happen for you guys in my view, as well as having success in the run game on offense. The latter may sound cliche, but the Syracuse defense tends to thrive on creating turnovers because teams are pressing too much with the pass. The goal, in general, is to get up by multiple scores early so that teams start pressing in this way.

If I had to guess at a score, I’d guess in the 45-24 range, but obviously anything can happen in game one. I can’t wait to visit Lynchburg!
By Ewglenn
CuseFan73 wrote:Thank you folks so much for the warm welcome! If you guys had to point out your team’s biggest strength and biggest weakness, what would it be? On our end, the biggest strength is the depth of talent at running back and wide receiver, while the biggest weakness would be our inexperience at tackle on offense and linebacker on defense. We will likely have a pair of new tackles (though one will be the guy who started at center last year) and likely have 2/3 starters at linebacker being new.

If I were a fan of a smaller school trying to think about how my team beats Syracuse, dominating the edge on defense has to happen for you guys in my view, as well as having success in the run game on offense. The latter may sound cliche, but the Syracuse defense tends to thrive on creating turnovers because teams are pressing too much with the pass. The goal, in general, is to get up by multiple scores early so that teams start pressing in this way.

If I had to guess at a score, I’d guess in the 45-24 range, but obviously anything can happen in game one. I can’t wait to visit Lynchburg!
Imo strengths would be QB, WR, RB and DE. Buckshot is a good qb that holds practically every record. He does have a tendency to throw a lot of ints. WR is going to be stacked when everyone is healthy AGG is a man that will be playing on Sundays. RB has depth, probably more than any other position, and the leading FCS rusher will be eligible this year (Mack played at Maine). If edge is a formula for success then our starters are good. Lewis and Lemonier are a great start on the edge (Lewis was a freshman all American last year). Weaknesses would be depth for sure. We don’t have a lot of depth behind the starters except maybe at WR. The offensive line has played a good bit and returns a lot of players but they are average at best. The secondary is okay but needs depth to be more productive. Our biggest problem last year was stopping the run. We have a lot of JUCO help coming in on that side of the ball so it should improve. I truly feel we can win the game but it is going to depend on how quickly HCHF can get the new guys in fall up to speed.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LU’s biggest weakness is their Nacho Game. SU should be able to chip away at them at will
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
On the LU football website, I don't see any prices for single game tickets yet. But a friend from church said he was hearing $70 for a single ticket for the Syracuse game. :shock: That can't be true, can it?
By TexanMark
Cider Jim wrote:On the LU football website, I don't see any prices for single game tickets yet. But a friend from church said he was hearing $70 for a single ticket for the Syracuse game. :shock: That can't be true, can it?
I heard $45
By Jonathan Carone
Cider Jim wrote:On the LU football website, I don't see any prices for single game tickets yet. But a friend from church said he was hearing $70 for a single ticket for the Syracuse game. :shock: That can't be true, can it?
That’s around what I was told back in December. Partially a supply and demand thing. Also makes getting season tickets much more attractive.

And it’s why I haven’t made plans to come in town. While I 100% understand the reasoning, I’m just not going to pay $140 to see a football game regardless of the teams playing.
By LibertyD
In order for LU to have a successful bowl season, HCHF must call the offense, including RB rotation and usage. I couldn't understand why RB coach did not run Mack more in the Spring game. CUSE fans were trying to get this kid out of HS but Dino passed on him. I say turn him loose against SU. This kid has NFL talent! I would also utilize multiple QBs in this game. SU has struggled against running QBs as well. Their defensive depth chart has not improved much for stopping the run. LU receiver core is much deeper than SU. AGG should have a great game due to his talent. He's learned how to fight off the hand checks and create seperation during the off season. LU should have easily finished 8-4 last season, even with the difference in coaching philosophy. With HCHF being a master motivator who know's how to win, I see at least 8-4 this season. Beating SU will be they key to building confidence and momentum for the rest of the season!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
LibertyD wrote:In order for LU to have a successful bowl season, HCHF must call the offense, including RB rotation and usage. I couldn't understand why RB coach did not run Mack more in the Spring game. CUSE fans were trying to get this kid out of HS but Dino passed on him. I say turn him loose against SU. This kid has NFL talent! I would also utilize multiple QBs in this game. SU has struggled against running QBs as well. Their defensive depth chart has not improved much for stopping the run. LU receiver core is much deeper than SU. AGG should have a great game due to his talent. He's learned how to fight off the hand checks and create seperation during the off season. LU should have easily finished 8-4 last season, even with the difference in coaching philosophy. With HCHF being a master motivator who know's how to win, I see at least 8-4 this season. Beating SU will be they key to building confidence and momentum for the rest of the season!
You seem to be missing the point of the Spring game, which is primarily to gain some experience and evaluate players up and down the roster under game-like conditions, not showcase your starters. I don't know who will be getting the most carries at RB next Fall, but I am not assuming it will be Mack as some are. At this point, what he did at Maine is pretty much irrelevant. He needs to earn his snaps in practice like everyone else. I'm a big Frank Boyd fan, and think he was way underutilized last year.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LibertyD wrote:In order for LU to have a successful bowl season, HCHF must call the offense, including RB rotation and usage. I couldn't understand why RB coach did not run Mack more in the Spring game. CUSE fans were trying to get this kid out of HS but Dino passed on him. I say turn him loose against SU. This kid has NFL talent! I would also utilize multiple QBs in this game. SU has struggled against running QBs as well. Their defensive depth chart has not improved much for stopping the run. LU receiver core is much deeper than SU. AGG should have a great game due to his talent. He's learned how to fight off the hand checks and create seperation during the off season. LU should have easily finished 8-4 last season, even with the difference in coaching philosophy. With HCHF being a master motivator who know's how to win, I see at least 8-4 this season. Beating SU will be they key to building confidence and momentum for the rest of the season!

Think about that statement
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:

Coaches not caring about fans recruiting desires...probably a wise choice.
By LibertyD
oldflame wrote:
You seem to be missing the point of the Spring game, which is primarily to gain some experience and evaluate players up and down the roster under game-like conditions, not showcase your starters. I don't know who will be getting the most carries at RB next Fall, but I am not assuming it will be Mack as some are. At this point, what he did at Maine is pretty much irrelevant. He needs to earn his snaps in practice like everyone else. I'm a big Frank Boyd fan, and think he was way underutilized last year.
You seem to be missing the point about college football. Everything counts! Did you see the NFL draft today? They went all the way back through player histories and built a profile based on major career accomplishmets. I like Boyd but there was a reason he didn't earn enough PT last year. I study the film on all the potential impact players and I've just observed a deeper football pedigree with Mack. I just think the kid has that "IT" that's going to inspire the team even more. It will probably be RB by committee and I hope all players do well! I'm sure all the guys will earn their snaps. But you being Frank Boyd biased, won't be satisfied! That's the only reason you reached you assumptions!
By LibertyD
rogers3 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
Syracuse fan base much tougher than Liberty. Numerous alumni. Many were calling for Babers firing after his second season. Last season actually saved his job!

Coaches not caring about fans recruiting desires...probably a wise choice.
By tyndal23
The number of running backs who run the ball better and fans see have a great spring game or 1 series - but don’t see the field often because of lack of x,y,z is staggering - if an RB doesn’t know every play, block/blocking assignments, catch the ball out of the backfield, etc - the more complete back always gets the nod. 1 weakness gets u benched - some backs lather up and get rolling after 10 carries - in todays game those types of backs rarely see the field - OC has to have confidence in the total package. I saw a lot of superior athletes and better breakout speed guys ride the bench in favor or whoever the OC trusted more on doing it all consistently. With our experience O Line - and one that HF says he likes - we will probably see 3-4 backs getting a share of carries until 1-2 really separate themselves or gameplan calls for more screens/outside runners vs inside based on match up - we have a decent variety and no excuse not to have good production out of the group we have - picking 1 back to be “the guy” is a complete guess by any of us at this stage. Left Tackle spot is Key replacement this year on O, rest of our worries is on D - like my other team OU regarding D- I will believe it when I see it...talk is cheap.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I really think that scoring more points than the other team will decide the victor in this matchup.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:I really think that scoring more points than the other team will decide the victor in this matchup.
You would
By tyndal23
Devito is a very legit QB - watched the Syracuse FSU game last night on YouTube. He was very poised coming in to a big game like that and really produced. Our secondary will have their work cut out for them.
By LibertyD
tyndal23 wrote:Devito is a very legit QB - watched the Syracuse FSU game last night on YouTube. He was very poised coming in to a big game like that and really produced. Our secondary will have their work cut out for them.
Let's not forget the terrible season FSU had last year. I don't think they won 6 games. Not a really a big game!

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]