Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I believe not going full speed in practice was a major contributor to our very poor tacking and over all passive defense. Looking forward to some much better coaching and results this year. Thump this. :)

"Coach em up" :)
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:That's an indictment of the players, the previous staff, and current dedication.
:dontgetit he literally said he’s installing everything in at the ground level. The only people he seemed ticked at were the RB’s. Putting in an entirely new scheme with an entirely new philosophy is going to take time and have speed bumps. Different lingo, etc.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Also he drives the point home of how weak our d line depth was. Its amazing how neglected the d line was the last 3 years. It so important to be at minimum 2 deep on the d line with modern offenses. I had been beating that horse dead for 3 years and im so glad to see freeze and symons see that as well.

It seemed painfully obvious to me that we had about 3 good d lineman and further not even enough numbers to compete the last 3 years of gills era.
By Jonathan Carone
Those comments are exactly what I expected him to say at this point in the process. We’ve had a very comfortable program in recent years. Freeze’s entire goal of practice is to make people uncomfortable.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Those comments are exactly what I expected him to say at this point in the process. We’ve had a very comfortable program in recent years. Freeze’s entire goal of practice is to make people uncomfortable.
I don’t see that as an indictment of any past regime. Sometimes hearing the same voices over and over again causes you to tune them out. I’m with you, this is on par with expectations
By Jonathan Carone
I don’t think his intentions were to indict the previous staff. I think the reality of the old staff was that they under recruited many areas, didn’t develop many positions, and didn’t practice at the intensity and pace of many FBS programs.
By Class of 20Something
Jonathan Carone wrote:I don’t think his intentions were to indict the previous staff. I think the reality of the old staff was that they under recruited many areas, didn’t develop many positions, and didn’t practice at the intensity and pace of many FBS programs.
Perhaps indictment was strong, but you just listed a ton of criticisms that I believe are evident in what HCHF said.

Should an offensive minded FBS coach need to start from square one after taking over for another offensive minded FBS coach? I understand lingo and intensity being different, but this sounds like a lower level installation than should be expected.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:I don’t think his intentions were to indict the previous staff. I think the reality of the old staff was that they under recruited many areas, didn’t develop many positions, and didn’t practice at the intensity and pace of many FBS programs.
Perhaps indictment was strong, but you just listed a ton of criticisms that I believe are evident in what HCHF said.

Should an offensive minded FBS coach need to start from square one after taking over for another offensive minded FBS coach? I understand lingo and intensity being different, but this sounds like a lower level installation than should be expected.
Yeah. If you’re putting in a completely different scheme you need to start from square one. Think going from Triple Option to The Spread. Obviously the move here isn’t as dramatic but a lot of little changes add up to a lot
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:

Yeah. If you’re putting in a completely different scheme you need to start from square one. Think going from Triple Option to The Spread. Obviously the move here isn’t as dramatic but a lot of little changes add up to a lot
I agree with PH, on this one.
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote: Yeah. If you’re putting in a completely different scheme you need to start from square one. Think going from Triple Option to The Spread. Obviously the move here isn’t as dramatic but a lot of little changes add up to a lot
That puts my mind a bit more at ease.
By tyndal23
Of all the position groups - RB is probably least important to have catch on early. I would be much more worried if we were talking about O Line ( which will probably happen next year due to attrition ). D Line - probably the one position where a stud HS or JUCO can come in and make immediate impact without having to learn and think a lot ( especially with an aggressive D Coordinator attacking vs read and react philosophy )- we have 6 new bodies coming in August. Secondary is going to make or break us this year.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:Of all the position groups - RB is probably least important to have catch on early. I would be much more worried if we were talking about O Line ( which will probably happen next year due to attrition ). D Line - probably the one position where a stud HS or JUCO can come in and make immediate impact without having to learn and think a lot ( especially with an aggressive D Coordinator attacking vs read and react philosophy )- we have 6 new bodies coming in August. Secondary is going to make or break us this year.
Speaking of the secondary, per Damien, JUCO transfer CB Emanuel Dabney, who was playing with the starting unit, is down with an injury. No specifics, but HF said "we hope he will be back".
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Which was a direct reflection of HCTG's personality. 8)
By tyndal23
Dang it , I sure like the way he talks to the media - has a directness of Rocco but in much fewer words ( btw I loved Rocco’s style - except I think he sometimes said too much and gave a little too much info during season). Past few years with Gill has been almost tough to watch the Press Conferences and interviews - really never wanted to say anything more than what he absolutely had to. About 60 to 70 percent of coaches are that way, and truthfully - it really only matters what the players in locker room think - but sure makes it much funnier as a fan to have coaches who aren’t scared of the media.
By Class of 20Something
LibertyD wrote:This is par for the course. RBs will fine. All is well!
We all know that much. Even after the drop off from our 1 to 2, it's still the one position group I would worry about rolling with the committee for the season.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
The only RB with FBS playing experience at this moment who is not injured is Frank Boyd. Both Mack and Henderson have talent but 1 is a redshirt freshman and the other a sophmore transfer. All 5 RB's are having to learn the new system but I guarantee you that Pickett and Hickson are studying film and learning terminology and their level of competitive spirit and game experience will be a breath of fresh air when they return.

By the way, second QB out of Freeze's mouth was JB aka Johnathan Bennett. That is encouraging to hear and will pay dividends for the future as well. It was also encouraging to hear Freeze speak highly of Dabney as he was a huge pick-up for us in early signing period. I expect Tayvion Land, Willam Green and Elijah James to all come in the summer and make noise as well.
By LUDad
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:The only RB with FBS playing experience at this moment who is not injured is Frank Boyd. Both Mack and Henderson have talent but 1 is a redshirt freshman and the other a sophmore transfer. All 5 RB's are having to learn the new system but I guarantee you that Pickett and Hickson are studying film and learning terminology and their level of competitive spirit and game experience will be a breath of fresh air when they return.

By the way, second QB out of Freeze's mouth was JB aka Johnathan Bennett. That is encouraging to hear and will pay dividends for the future as well. It was also encouraging to hear Freeze speak highly of Dabney as he was a huge pick-up for us in early signing period. I expect Tayvion Land, Willam Green and Elijah James to all come in the summer and make noise as well.
I noticed that too. In an interview with the paper HF, when asked about QB, stated that the depth chart is eteched in sand but that the QB job would certainly be Buckshot's to lose. Then he also said that he was not scared to use a second QB. Said that gave teams something else that they would have to prepare for. At the least, I think Bennet will get a shot at getting snaps due to being a duel threat.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Hmmmm. Looks like they have done away with the extra protection thingies they were wearing on the outside of the helmets in practice. I'm loving the emphasis on getting tougher together, but if there is evidence they help, why not wear them?
By LUDad
Did the comment yesterday by Jason Romero coincide with the recruits in town this weekend?
Last edited by LUDad on March 2nd, 2019, 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

To suggest Cleveland won't start is pretty ignoran[…]

UTEP

Need a series win to clinch regular season title, […]