Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By CCWMichael
I will say I do not drink at the games or on campus at all. Why is a personal thing. People do it though. Also, smoking is prohibited on campus yet during game days people smoke while talking to campus security and they are not being shunned. It is clear that drinking and smoking are allowed by fans if it is their definition of respectful. Heck, last year I could smell some they were so soused but, silently soused.
By TexanMark
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: August 22nd, 2019, 12:06 am I know this may not be a popular opinion, but I agree with ballcoach on the alcohol on campus. What happens off-campus is a whole different story, but you are opening up a massive can of worms when you make it okay to drink alcohol at your tailgate party before the game.
Here is the rub:

It is your house and you set the rules. However, if Liberty takes such a draconian view on shutting down/kicking out fans the word will get out and consumption goes way down. The downside is the visiting fans will report back to their schools the issues and recommend that Team X should never go back to Liberty.

I have no problem with yes go ahead and drink but keep it civil and laidback...i.e. no beer pong, etc and passed out drunk idiots.

Liberty is going to have to figure this out if they expect to have major programs come to Lynchburg. Major programs bring big tailgates and lots of them like to a have a few beers/drinks.

BTW, my tailgate will be moving to a different location.
By LU 57
TexanMark wrote: August 23rd, 2019, 10:29 am
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: August 22nd, 2019, 12:06 am I know this may not be a popular opinion, but I agree with ballcoach on the alcohol on campus. What happens off-campus is a whole different story, but you are opening up a massive can of worms when you make it okay to drink alcohol at your tailgate party before the game.
Here is the rub:

It is your house and you set the rules. However, if Liberty takes such a draconian view on shutting down/kicking out fans the word will get out and consumption goes way down. The downside is the visiting fans will report back to their schools the issues and recommend that Team X should never go back to Liberty.

I have no problem with yes go ahead and drink but keep it civil and laidback...i.e. no beer pong, etc and passed out drunk idiots.

Liberty is going to have to figure this out if they expect to have major programs come to Lynchburg. Major programs bring big tailgates and lots of them like to a have a few beers/drinks.

BTW, my tailgate will be moving to a different location.
Well said. I guess the "Don't ask, don't tell policy" is working for now.

Out of curiosity, I took a look at BYU and Baylor's policies. BYU is similar to ours: No alcohol. Baylor makes no mention of alcohol.

It is a tough issue, and to this point I have refrained from consumption on campus, but TexanMark is right. If LU were to start enforcing the no alcohol policy on football tailgates it would definitely impact our ability to attract quality FBS opponents.
By LUAlum1215
Sorry, but I don’t buy the argument that a football program will choose, or choose not, to travel to a campus based on their fans being allowed to consume alcohol at tailgates.

Personally, I don’t care if people drink provided they are responsible, can behave, and have a DD regardless if it’s LU, Va Tech, or the Dallas Cowboys hosting the game.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
I have ZERO problems with drinking on campus during tailgates and have for years. Don't act like a fool and you will be fine. Won't be up next weekend for the Syracuse game, but will be up for Buffalo.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
When Liberty tells Syracuse we will pay you X number of dollars to come to Lynchburg the AD sees the X number of dollars and not the tailgate numbers because the tailgate numbers don't concern him.

People will come to games regardless of our alcohol policy here at LU. Other universities will think differently but that doesn't mean that we should.
By LUDad
There is personal responsibly and corporate responsibility, and with both, moral and legal liability. The one thing you do not want is someone leaving the game in a packed vehicle and running head -on into a family of five. Where and how you draw the line, I do not know. Takes more wisdom than I possess.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
As long as you don't look under 21 or cause a scene, I have never noticed any campus security or cops saying anything to anyone. It's pretty easy have to multiple drinks and have no one notice.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: August 22nd, 2019, 11:51 am
ballcoach15 wrote: August 22nd, 2019, 9:37 am If we ever play Virginia Tech in Williams Stadium, people will see first hand why 'shine and football games don't mix.
FIFY :lol:
Oh puh-lease - I went to VT/WVU a few years ago at FedEx Field. Lots of people drinking, no major issues.

That said, if alcohol is prohibited on campus, then personally I would abstain from drinking on campus. To each their own though.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
givemethemic wrote: August 23rd, 2019, 2:45 pm I expect you to bring a bottle of wine.
Haha, let me know what kind you prefer and I'll see what I can bring to the Buffalo game :-p
By R i
Registration Days Posts
The grass lot across from the Ice Center is not technically campus, it is closest you can park to the East Entrance, and its free. We should still enforce the no alcohol on campus rule (to keep family friendly atmosphere most of us love about LU sporting events), and give opposing fans a pass with their opposing team ticket to park there. It will be a nice gesture that most opposing fans would love getting that kind of parking. Jerry Falwell owns the land btw, so we could do what we want with it, its just not "CAMPUS".

We would solve most every problem if we had basically a designated drinking lot.
By LU 57
That sounds like a really good solution. I am not against drinking at sporting events per se but I really do love how family friendly sporting events are at LU. I was at a Redskins game with my son a year or so ago and literally had to catch the drunk girl beside me to prevent her from falling face first into the rows below ours.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote: August 23rd, 2019, 3:10 pm We would solve most every problem if we had basically a designated drinking lot.
... AKA “The Visitor’s Lot”
By LUAlum1215
R i wrote: August 23rd, 2019, 3:10 pm The grass lot across from the Ice Center is not technically campus, it is closest you can park to the East Entrance, and its free. We should still enforce the no alcohol on campus rule (to keep family friendly atmosphere most of us love about LU sporting events), and give opposing fans a pass with their opposing team ticket to park there. It will be a nice gesture that most opposing fans would love getting that kind of parking. Jerry Falwell owns the land btw, so we could do what we want with it, its just not "CAMPUS".

We would solve most every problem if we had basically a designated drinking lot.
Actually, it is campus. Property lines are weird in that area, but that lot is LU.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Even the hotel next to the Godparent Home is owned by LU, isn't it?
By R i
Registration Days Posts
It is not campus. It’s owned by LU but not campus. The reason I know is I have camped over night there tailgating. LUPD approached and they told me it wasn’t in their jurisdiction because it’s not campus. Beers would not have been a problem, I asked.
By LUAlum1215
R i wrote: August 24th, 2019, 11:20 am It is not campus. It’s owned by LU but not campus. The reason I know is I have camped over night there tailgating. LUPD approached and they told me it wasn’t in their jurisdiction because it’s not campus. Beers would not have been a problem, I asked.
LUPD has jurisdiction on all Liberty University owned and controlled properties, not just “campus”. Are they likely to run people out of that lot for alcohol if they aren’t causing issues? Not really. Is it permissible according to LU policy? No.
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Hmm? That doesn't align with what LUPD told me in 2016. I did just look it up on the parcel map, Liberty owns most of that lot, but a good portion of that parcel is owned by the Extended Stay, almost half of that field.
By CCWMichael
I phoned in today to get the usaul black pass for the yellow lot at the bookstore. Those are no more. That just equates to no tailgate specific spots. The expectation is to tailgate at your specific spot. I feel for the chap that has consistently used several spots for his decked out LU smoker. They will never be able to utilize just one spot. It will be interesting to see if they are in the same lot this year and if they catch flack for using more than one spot. Typically it was pull into any spot you want. I wonder now if they will guide people to certain areas so the late comers can pull through the lot. All of this and my wife said 90 is hot humidity or not. Translation, I want the fan fest meal. No tailgating this weekend ... fan fest it is.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
How early are you tailgaters going to get to campus on Saturday for a 6:00 game? I'm thinking around 3:00.
By CCWMichael
Cider Jim wrote: August 26th, 2019, 11:42 pm How early are you tailgaters going to get to campus on Saturday for a 6:00 game? I'm thinking around 3:00.
To beat the roadblocks we were always in three to four hours early. That being said there might have been only one or two others set up at that time. Many arrived 2 hours or less before game time.
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]