Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By gerb
Compare our intro video of HF vs Ole Miss. We need a serious upgrade...

Ole Miss Intro Video:
[youtube]4it8JRZeGbY[/youtube]

LU Intro Video:
[youtube]U7HFXqSlT2o[/youtube]
By cruzan_flame13
gerb wrote:Compare our intro video of HF vs Ole Miss. We need a serious upgrade...

Ole Miss Intro Video:

LU Intro Video:

We will only be taken seriously when we show that we are serious. As of now we are pretending and the responses,even in these forums, is a clear attitude to where our program is at at this point. We have the coaches, now it’s up to the other departments to follow suit.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
gerb wrote:Compare our intro video of HF vs Ole Miss. We need a serious upgrade...

Ole Miss Intro Video:

LU Intro Video:

We will only be taken seriously when we show that we are serious. As of now we are pretending and the responses,even in these forums, is a clear attitude to where our program is at at this point. We have the coaches, now it’s up to the other departments to follow suit.
I don't disagree that this is an area we need to step up, but those 2 videos are apples and oranges. You are comparing a 2 minute report on a specific event which was put together in a day or 2 for the website to a 20 minute marketing production to promote the season. If and when our guys do something similar, I don't expect it to be quite as slick, but it will be a lot closer. Suggesting we should be SEC level in this area right now is like saying we should be SEC level on the field. It will take some time.
By gerb
I’ve watched a few episodes of “the season”. Very impressive.

[youtube]AfjqBQWfv9M[/youtube]

Waiting around for this capacity to develop internally will be like watching grass grow. This capability can be in place by next fall.

It’s not that difficult to do. Just requires leadership and of course $$, which I would argue is a very worthwhile investment.

1. Repurpose/get budget to outsource
2. Ian puts out rfp
3. Selects vendor (like the vendor that Ole Miss is using)
4. Be up and running by summer
By gerb
the fact that a comparable length piece doesn’t exist proves my point. It’s been over 2 months since freeze came onboard.

Time for Ian to stress these guys and see how they respond. Run a parallel rfp just in case.
By tyndal23
Freeze hasn’t even spent half an hour worth of footage on campus yet - he was out recruitiing and cant interact with players except for 15 minutes here and there on individual offseason workout segments until Spring Ball.
By gerb
Well I did love those Rise With Us -Inaugural Season 30 min videos that were put out last year. Oh wait, never mind.

The last decent piece was 9 minutes in Sept 2017. Sorry but this deserves criticism. Hope that significant change is already in the works.

[youtube]1dFa4JhHuTY[/youtube]
By gerb
Jonathan Carone wrote:We have more media coverage from the school than 90% or G5 schools and you guys still find a way to complain about it.
Anyone who expresses that sentiment that is on staff in athletics at LU should be marked for termination. LU has the potential for the fastest ascendency in FBS history. The situation we are in today is extremely rare and time is of the essance. What will hold us back is failure to get the right people on and the wrong people off the bus fast enough.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
gerb wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:We have more media coverage from the school than 90% or G5 schools and you guys still find a way to complain about it.
Anyone who expresses that sentiment that is on staff in athletics at LU should be marked for termination. LU has the potential for the fastest ascendency in FBS history. The situation we are in today is extremely rare and time is of the essance. What will hold is back is failure to get the right people on and the wrong people off the bus fast enough.
Look who is deciding who should be fired. :roll:
Yes, we are FBS now. Entry level G5. Do you not recognize the VAST differences between FBS programs when it comes to things like this? You are bordering into tin foil hat territory to expect we should have been as prepared to produce this type of content on Freeze's hiring as Ole Miss was. Should we be working toward this? Absolutely. To expect it already is not fair or realistic.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
The taped segments/content LFSN puts out is actually very good. You can stream it via the Liberty Roku app or, in some cases, it’s carried OTA depending on what your channels are where you live.

For a little while last year (?) there was even a nightly “sports center” style broadcast which I assume was either live or taped earlier in the day. For whatever reason they cut that back to a once a week show but it’s still pretty good.

Highly recommend you check it out if you get a chance
By tyndal23
LFSN is very good. As for the rest - Lots of P5 level schools don’t do much with video and have terrible websites for their athletics - LU does pretty well, but I agree it is another area where we could get a lot with little additional investment just based on our existing cutting edge studios and film school students. I stil think the trapeze system they use in Pro and P5 games is worth the investment - really adds to game and makes players appear much bigger and would make ESPN a little more willing to place a game on one of their networks vs ESPN3.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Once we go to a bowl game, everything will take care of itself. Internet, print media, radio and television. Prior to bowl game season arriving, there will be improvement from where things are today.
By FLAMEfromBAMA
Registration Days Posts
My two cents:

Yes we have come a LONG way in this area, especially in social media.

We can certainly get much better.

Unlike on field performance this is 99% controllable by money imo, and in today’s world would be worth every penny to invest more in this.

All that being said, the way I’ve heard Freeze compare us to G5 makes me think that Ian and Jerry are okay with pressing for rapid growth, but not comparing ourselves with P5 schools. If this is the case investing more in this isn’t as big of a deal until we begin to seriously compares ourselves to P5 schools.
By Jonathan Carone
FLAMEfromBAMA wrote:All that being said, the way I’ve heard Freeze compare us to G5 makes me think that Ian and Jerry are okay with pressing for rapid growth, but not comparing ourselves with P5 schools. If this is the case investing more in this isn’t as big of a deal until we begin to seriously compares ourselves to P5 schools.
So what you’re saying is the people who know what they’re doing have realistic expectations unlike many on this message board? Interesting how that works.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
trust me when I say it takes A LOT of money investment into multiple devoted full time positions to make these kinds of productions on a regular basis. The Top P5 schools have the kind of staff to do it. But i would venture to say about half don’t. If you aren’t top 3 in SEC ACC B1G Pac12 and Big 12 it’s rare to find a school that regularly pumps out content like that. Uva and VT don’t neither does duke or wake. NC state is getting there. We are nowhere near being like Ole miss or bama or Clemson. And we won’t be for a long time. It takes more than money. It takes consistently putting together a product on the field that creates a demand for that kind of content.
By richmondvareb
flamesfilmguy wrote:trust me when I say it takes A LOT of money investment into multiple devoted full time positions to make these kinds of productions on a regular basis. The Top P5 schools have the kind of staff to do it. But i would venture to say about half don’t. If you aren’t top 3 in SEC ACC B1G Pac12 and Big 12 it’s rare to find a school that regularly pumps out content like that. Uva and VT don’t neither does duke or wake. NC state is getting there. We are nowhere near being like Ole miss or bama or Clemson. And we won’t be for a long time. It takes more than money. It takes consistently putting together a product on the field that creates a demand for that kind of content.
Well, I can only speak for Ole Miss, but their money came from big business investments (Fed Ex from Memphis, big banks, large investment and utility companies, etc.). As you say, it does take consistently putting together a product demanding that kind of investment, but Virginia definitely has the commercial base to finance such an endeavor. We'll have to leave the rest up to Freeze to develop the product (and he is just the one to do it).
By Jonathan Carone
One piece of this that many of you seem to be overlooking is that it takes two parties to do this type of cinematic coverage. It’s not just Liberty deciding they want to do something. The head football coach has to grant the access needed to get the footage. Our previous coach was notoriously fearful of allowing people in to cover the program. We now have a coach who understands the value of media coverage. It’s almost a guarantee he’s going to allow more access for more creative things.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:One piece of this that many of you seem to be overlooking is that it takes two parties to do this type of cinematic coverage. It’s not just Liberty deciding they want to do something. The head football coach has to grant the access needed to get the footage. Our previous coach was notoriously fearful of allowing people in to cover the program. We now have a coach who understands the value of media coverage. It’s almost a guarantee he’s going to allow more access for more creative things.
Good observations. very true.

If the new players picks up on the pack line defen[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]