Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
It has been discussed before, but it is pretty clear that with the talent we signed this recruiting period, there are some players on the current roster who are going to be looking closely at their status and making decisions as to whether they want to stay at Liberty or pursue other options. I would expect most, if not all will wait to see how Spring practice goes before making a move, but for some I think the proverbial handwriting is on the wall. In this post I will be referring only to positions and situations, not naming specific players.

Cornerback:
This jumped off the page. We lost only one to graduation and signed 5. We had 2 CBs on the roster who, despite being healthy and having playing experience in prior years, did not play a single snap last season. One announced mid-season he was red-shirting. The other had already used his red-shirt year. I suspect they both will be getting in line.

Offensive line:
12 on the Spring roster. We added only 1 (so far) but Freeze has stated publicly that Maisen Knight will be the presumptive starter at LT and at least one of our 2 open schollies will go to another, likely a grad transfer. Sargeant and Duff will also almost certainly start. That leaves 2 positions wide open. Then you have the 5 FR who were red-shirted. Lots of size and likely talent in that group, but we won't know much til Spring. I think there will be at least a couple of returning players who were in and out of the rotation in the past couple of years who will be buried on the depth chart and decide to get in line.

Wide Receiver:
9 on the roster, including 2 early enrollees. Only Farrow graduated. 2 more additions in the signing class. Things are especially crowded at the slot position. I will name a name here, because his situation is obvious and it has been discussed before. Damian King is eligible for a grad transfer, and depending on how things go in Spring practice, will have a decision to make. I expect 1 or 2 more may be getting in line.

I'm going to leave it at that for now. Most other positions are a bit muddier, and DL in particular is a position where HF has made it clear he wants a ton of depth.
ballcoach15 wrote:I have faith and trust in Coach Freeze and his staff.
They will only factor into this in that they will decide who plays and who does not. It will be the players who need to decide what is best for them based on that.

In speculating above, I was only looking at football and playing time. It's hard to factor in non-football priorities for individual players. There no doubt will be some who are perfectly content to be students at Liberty and a part of the team, even if they don't get in games much. A full scholarship and $6000 a year FCOA money is certainly a factor as well. Others will want to be somewhere where they can get on the field. One of the realities of being FBS is that players can transfer down to an FCS program and play immediately.
Class of 20Something wrote:Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but we can't give any more schollies out after the last two because of the 25 limit. Anyone that leaves at this point just gives us more opportunities for 2020.
I believe that is correct. Right now we are up against both the limit of 85 total and the 25 per class limit. Players transferring out will only help us with the total scholarship limit, starting with 2020 recruits
G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]

I'm not sure why anyone thought online would eve[…]

Longwood

Did you make the trip to Farmville?