Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
This stadium talk reminds me of a UVA joke I heard several years ago. There's a NCAA rule that prohibits schools creating game day experience in stadiums for recruits on a visit. UVA carried a recruit to an empty Scott Stadium on a Friday morning. Then they realized their error, and self reported the violation to NCAA.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote: December 29th, 2019, 8:42 am
alabama24 wrote: December 28th, 2019, 10:53 pm Have you ever been to a Power 5 Stadium? :roll:
Wake Forest has nothing over Williams.
Does Wake Forest even have a football team? :lol:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: December 29th, 2019, 9:22 am This stadium talk reminds me of a UVA joke I heard several years ago.
Most UVa students spend more time in the Alderman Library Study than they do Scott Stadium.

Did you hear the joke about the Tech library? It burned down, and some of the books weren't even colored in yet. :lol:
ballcoach15 liked this
By BlueBlood
Size-wise, Williams will never be mistaken for the Horseshoe, Beaver Stadium, either Death Valley, the Swamp, etc. However, it is much closer than some realize to the Dukes, WFs, Vanderbilts, Northwesterns, WSUs, etc.

In addition to those smaller P5 venues, you also have a decent number of P5s playing in pro stadiums or venues that are much larger than they need. The Williams atmosphere is way better than any school that plays in a larger stadium that is only a quarter full.

There is a reason that the Syracuse folks were so surprised and complimentary. The ACC is riddled with stadiums that fit both above descriptions.
ballcoach15, sstaedtler liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Baylor, sure. But VT? Putting my biases aside here...it’s big, and will continue to draw bigger crowds than LU for decades to come. It’s loud, and I love the team entry tradition (best in CFB, Clemson close #2, IMO). But NICER?! It’s just a big cement stadium in a cow pasture. I’ve been all over it including on the field, locker rooms, tunnels, etc. doesn’t seem at all NICER.

PS - their b-ball arena blows. That place is a dump.
By cruzan_flame13
We also have to consider the fact that William's stadium has not reach it's full renovation as those other stadiums mentioned. Based on the location, the stadium can be renovated up to 45-60k seats by adding upper decks and more lodging when needed. Right now the stadium look close to an upper G5/Lower P5. If we continue with the trajectory we are going now, we can established a few phases as time goes by. I believe this is the best option that Jr, McCaw and the Directir of Construction has considered.
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
JK37 wrote: December 30th, 2019, 11:49 am Baylor, sure. But VT? Putting my biases aside here...it’s big, and will continue to draw bigger crowds than LU for decades to come. It’s loud, and I love the team entry tradition (best in CFB, Clemson close #2, IMO). But NICER?! It’s just a big cement stadium in a cow pasture. I’ve been all over it including on the field, locker rooms, tunnels, etc. doesn’t seem at all NICER.

Maybe nicer wasn't the best word. Regardless, point stands, Williams Stadium rivals many P5 venues.
Purple Haize liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: December 30th, 2019, 11:49 am NICER?! It’s just a big cement stadium in a cow pasture.
POST OF THE YEAR!!! :clapping :rofl :clapping
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Once the south end of Williams Stadium is enclosed with seating to form a "horseshoe" like stadium, it will be on par with many P5 stadiums.

As for VT stadium, I have been in every part of it, like JK37. The only area that VT is better is size of seating. (including the high dollar suites/sky boxes, etc)

I have also been in UVA's and UNC's, plus parts of Florida's and Alabama's. And I rode my bicycle pass Texas A&M's.
By BlueBlood
ballcoach15 wrote: December 30th, 2019, 1:22 pm I have also been in UVA's and UNC's, plus parts of Florida's and Alabama's.
parts? not a big enough part to say you were fully there? just curious.
Purple Haize liked this
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
A Sea of Red wrote: December 30th, 2019, 12:00 pm Maybe nicer wasn't the best word. Regardless, point stands, Williams Stadium rivals many P5 venues.
You named two (UVA, Rutgers). I have never been to Rutgers, but it holds twice the capacity. Lets hear some more?

I love our stadium and am proud of it... but it does not rival the average P5 venue. :oops:
By LUOrange
I really like Scott Stadium and I think their game day operation is impressive. There's nothing impressive about Lane, other than size as others have mentioned. Their game day is good though. Wake's BB&T isn't bad, but game day is horrible. The Carrier Dome in Syracuse is nice. However, I haven't been there in over 20 years and I was there for a basketball game and game day was fun the MBB.

I'm biased, but I think The Bill has one of the best game day operations, especially when the kids are there. Game day has dropped some and I think they could pick it up some. The kids enthusiasm has dropped some as well, they were best a few years back when they were throwing the baby powder or flour in the air on kickoffs. But we definitely have the best family friendly environment.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I don't like our showing the students on big screen AFTER EVERY PLAY. Focus more on replays.
By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
alabama24 wrote: December 30th, 2019, 2:52 pm
A Sea of Red wrote: December 30th, 2019, 12:00 pm Maybe nicer wasn't the best word. Regardless, point stands, Williams Stadium rivals many P5 venues.
You named two (UVA, Rutgers). I have never been to Rutgers, but it holds twice the capacity. Lets hear some more?

I love our stadium and am proud of it... but it does not rival the average P5 venue. :oops:
Rutgers facilities for a Big Ten team were horrible. Scott Stadium is so old and outdated. I've been to several other P5 venues but not in the last few years since the most recent Williams renovation and it's hard to compare.
By Jonathan Carone
We have an incredibly pretty stadium and a phenomenal game day experience.

It's better than some P5 schools - the ones who have little to know football tradition.

When you compare us to schools with football tradition, we're a really solid G5 school.

Why can't we be happy with who we are?
LUOrange liked this
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote: December 30th, 2019, 3:21 pm I don't like our showing the students on big screen AFTER EVERY PLAY. Focus more on replays.
I think this is a generational difference. I hope I can explain this in a way that makes sense.

The students are the single largest and loudest part of the Bill. The students care about being noticed on Instagram and trying to have 5 seconds of screen time. Athletic events have to compete for not only their attention span. But also be their supplies for a sense of identity and dopamine.

Without the students the Bill looks like NMSU.

Please stop making suggestions that will alienate a massive and critical part of our gameday experience.
Purple Haize, thepostman, LU 57 and 3 others liked this
By LU 57
A Sea of Red wrote: December 30th, 2019, 3:37 pm
alabama24 wrote: December 30th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Rutgers facilities for a Big Ten team were horrible. Scott Stadium is so old and outdated. I've been to several other P5 venues but not in the last few years since the most recent Williams renovation and it's hard to compare.
Regarding Scott Stadium: At least they put in new speakers on the scoreboard this year. I could barely hear the announcer in the LU section last year. Food selection left a lot to be desired as well.

Williams is top notch for where we are in the process. No need to expand until we get closer to filling existing seats. I trust Ian and team will know when the time is right to expand, given his experience at Baylor.
Last edited by LU 57 on December 30th, 2019, 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my […]

LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]