Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:Everyone still schedules as an independent.
Then it’s not a Conference so no 13th game
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Isn’t Indy as a conference sort of opposite of being independent?
It would be sort of a Confederation. You could have the two highest ranked schools play a 13th game sort of, but Nita conference championship.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
We seriously need a drug testing policy on this board
By tyndal23
If you read the article it would be a conference by the minimum standard - 8 teams 2 divisions but you don’t play the other division until championship game - so ND would have a set 3 conference games, freedom to schedule the other 9 however they want and still play a Conference Championship 13th game.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Does any Conference have only 2 4 team divisions? I know the Sun Belt has 5 team divisions
By tyndal23
Purple Haize wrote:Does any Conference have only 2 4 team divisions? I know the Sun Belt has 5 team divisions
Nope. But NCAA minimum requirement is 8 and they don’t say you have to play x number of games. It is simply a possible but unlikely loophole for ND to explore per the author.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:We seriously need a drug testing policy on this board
I second that motion.

There is no need to rewrite the rules just to aid one school. Every conference in America and the NCAA should force Notre Dame to join Big 10. It's time to stop giving ND special treatment.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:We seriously need a drug testing policy on this board
I second that motion.

There is no need to rewrite the rules just to aid one school. Every conference in America and the NCAA should force Notre Dame to join Big 10. It's time to stop giving ND special treatment.
That was not my motion
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Should LU also be forced to join a conference? With that rational then we shouldn't of been allowed to move up because it would be considered "special treatment"

Just sayin'
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I think completely ignoring the NCAA bylaws to allow us in without a conference affiliate is giving pretty special treatment. Granted most of the NCAA rules are completely ridiculous so I am not saying I agree with it but the only reason we are FBS is because of special treatment.

You just don't like ND, if it was Alabama or some other SEC school then you would have zero problems with special treatment. Just admit it
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
NCAA. for once, was smart enough to know that LU got shafted by Sun Belt or whatever conference(s) we tried to join, thus they let us go FBS as independent.

As for ND, I have read this statement many times:

" The Power 5 Conference Commissioners and the Notre Dame Athletic Director".

I have never read Power 5 conference commissioners and the BYU, Army, UMass athletic director.
By Class of 20Something
I do think that part of the reason the NCAA let us get the exemption was with an assumption of failure. I think they believed we would fail and go back to FCS with our tail between our legs. I think some of the controversial hires have eased the process too. I am not certain that the scheduling gets done , at least not as well, without Ian McCaw as AD, and with HCHF we are poised to make a statement bigger than the Baylor win against Syracuse.
By Ewglenn
Purple Haize wrote:
Ewglenn wrote:What if the Indy conference did this:

Allow ND and Texas to keep their revenue
Add Texas and UConn
Army keeps CBSN tie
LFSN produces all of the conferences remaining games and ESPN gets all the content

This allows the entire conference to get what they would want. Army, ND and Texas keep their contracts and all other schools get more air time.
What good does it do Texas and ND to play in that conference? Schedule wise
Do a 4 game conference schedule. ND and Texas would have their big time opponents and the Indy route fills in the easy games for them.
By tyndal23
This sounded kooky at first glance, but after digging a little - IF it is a $ maker, potential enhanced data point and limited hit on ND schedule flexibility then it is actually a good plan for ND. After evaluating a bit more - below is how it would make sense for all parties. ( I have edited this 3 times - ha ! )

Divisions ( as is forget bringing in heavyweights ) focused on bringing in UCONN and 1 more ( Ball State as author recommended )

UMass ( ND away game played at Foxborough where Umass used to play home games )
Ball State ( author suggestion, local IN team for ND - stadium size would be an issue )
Army. ( could elect to play bigger venues like they do often for major team )
ND

Liberty
NMSU
BYU
UCONN ( if they are currently considering Indy for FB team )

Conference Championship Game - Indianapolis ( Colts stadium - basically another home game and big additional revenue generator especially if a network picked up rights or NBC paid additional for anytime ND was in Champ Game )

ND takes Navy off schedule and replaces with currently a much better Army ( top 25 program )
Guarantee to play BYU in 13th game ( most likely ) which isn’t a terrible data point and could generate some additional TV revenue.
That leaves playing 2 bad SOS games ( they typically play 1 per year ) - is it worth it for ND to get the 13th game ? Financially 100% yes. Playoff Committee 13th data point - maybe maybe not.

ND Independence driver is $ - not necessarily scheduling flexibility - the only 2 constant non ACC games they have on schedule is Navy and USC. They eliminated Michigan. ND could insist on their conference games be played prior to ACC scheduled games ( rest of us would be playing in peak conference time when scheduling is tough ) Army for Navy is an upgrade/push - Ball State replaces their 1 weak Mac team or similar they schedule ( but is an in state foe every year )- that leaves 1 more game they have to shuffle. In 2022 ( by memory ) that would be swapping Purdue for UMASS . A downgrade but made up handsomely by BYU in Champ Game.

Rev Share - ND would obviously get Lions Share of Conference TV $. All other schools still win from a rev share ( Ball State would still make more than what they do in MAC ) prestige, SOS etc, etc.

Interesting that some of their fans are behind the quasi conference on the comment section of article... LU and all the other Indepenents would bend over backwards and give ND whatever concessions they wanted.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:This sounded kooky at first glance, but after digging a little - IF it is a $ maker, potential enhanced data point and limited hit on ND schedule flexibility then it is actually a good plan for ND. After evaluating a bit more - below is how it would make sense for all parties. ( I have edited this 3 times - ha ! )

Divisions ( as is forget bringing in heavyweights ) focused on bringing in UCONN and 1 more ( Ball State as author recommended )

Ball State ( author suggestion, local IN team for ND - stadium size would be an issue )
ND

NMSU
BYU

Conference Championship Game - Indianapolis ( Colts stadium - basically another home game and big additional revenue generator especially if a network picked up rights or NBC paid additional for anytime ND was in Champ Game )

ND takes Navy off schedule and replaces with currently a much better Army ( top 25 program )
Guarantee to play BYU in 13th game ( most likely ) which isn’t a terrible data point and could generate some additional TV revenue.

That leaves playing 2 bad SOS games ( they typically play 1 per year ) - is it worth it for ND to get the 13th game ? Financially 100% yes. Playoff Committee 13th data point - maybe maybe not.

ND Independence driver is $ - not necessarily scheduling flexibility - the only 2 constant non ACC games they have on schedule is Navy and USC. They eliminated Michigan. ND could insist on their conference games be played prior to ACC scheduled games ( rest of us would be playing in peak conference time when scheduling is tough ) Army for Navy is an upgrade/push - Ball State replaces their 1 weak Mac team or similar they schedule ( but is an in state foe every year )- that leaves 1 more game they have to shuffle. In 2022 ( by memory ) that would be swapping Purdue for UMASS . A downgrade but made up handsomely by BYU in Champ Game.

Rev Share - ND would obviously get Lions Share of Conference TV $. All other schools still win from a rev share ( Ball State would still make more than what they do in MAC ) prestige, SOS etc, etc.

Interesting that some of their fans are behind the quasi conference on the comment section of article... LU and all the other Indepenents would bend over backwards and give ND whatever concessions they wanted.
I disagree with one of your data points. It should be, "Guarantee to play Liberty in 13th game". Because in two years Liberty will be whacking BYU silly. :lol:
By Ewglenn
tyndal23 wrote:This sounded kooky at first glance, but after digging a little - IF it is a $ maker, potential enhanced data point and limited hit on ND schedule flexibility then it is actually a good plan for ND. After evaluating a bit more - below is how it would make sense for all parties. ( I have edited this 3 times - ha ! )

ND

Liberty
NMSU
BYU

How I saw it was:

ND
Liberty
UCONN
Army

Texas
UMASS
NMSU
BYU

Allow Texas and ND to do essientally whatever they want and gives the winner of the title game a legit shot at the playoff. Title game played at the Titans stadium in Nashville. It also allows those schools more access in a sourthern market. All others get exposure and the opportunity to partner with Texas, ND and BYU. Sounds like a win across the board to me.
By tyndal23
Texas isn’t taking their FB team Independent - that leaves all their other sports screwed for major conference - none of which will let them in without football. Big 12 might blow up but I doubt it now since they are making plenty of $ as is and getting teams in to playoffs now that they have a title game. I see them possibly adding 2 ( UCF and 1 other ) as a better chance than Big 12 disbanding ( a few years ago I wouldn’t have said that - but the other teams are pretty happy and revenue $ is higher than expected. UCF would be an in road to FL recruiting and new geographical eyeballs for the league - and TX might decide splitting in to divisions rather than round robin ( having to beat OU twice to win a conference championship ) is worth another 2 teams splitting up the pie. I don’t think any p5 wants to go Indy due to scheduling issues - too risky. Would have to be an FCS transition or a weak G5 like Ball State to make any sense to leave a conference. Again, this is strictly about ND manipulating a 13th game within NCAA rules with the least downside/risk for them. HI game every year isn’t a good option and ACC full fledged isn’t appealing - this is the only other option for a 13th game IF they feel they really need it - just back luck for them that USC and FSU were so down this year or no one could have whined about their not having a 13th game - even so they still made it to playoff. Even though 13th game isn’t guaranteed under this option - if they didn’t make it to this Conf. Champ game they wouldn’t be making it to CFP anyway...
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Texas going Indy for football is a very real possibility. I wouldn't consider it likely at the moment but it is very plausible. The Big XII would not kick out the rest of their sports.
By Ewglenn
Sly Fox wrote:Texas going Indy for football is a very real possibility. I wouldn't consider it likely at the moment but it is very plausible. The Big XII would not kick out the rest of their sports.
Exactly
By tyndal23
Sly Fox wrote:Texas going Indy for football is a very real possibility. I wouldn't consider it likely at the moment but it is very plausible. The Big XII would not kick out the rest of their sports.
Just went back and found Del Conte comments on Independent option for UT from last month - Interesting. While they won’t do anything until end of Big 12 TV rights 24/25 - They would also want/need a 13th game scenario. Big 12 would dissolve if they left but doubt they care too much where other sports align. If ND wanted to put together 8 teams sooner - should set it up for a short term 4 year type deal and leave room to drop a weak team for a Texas.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]