Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By GoLU_13_21
Just curious what everyone's thoughts are on where we stand with a team that entered FBS near the same time as us from the BS Conference. Obviously were independent which would make our bowl road more difficult.
By tyndal23
Speaking of stronger schedules - I predict Cuse ranked preseason top 25 coming in to LU week 1 ( I know they lose their QB but should get some carry over love from 10 wins and bowl victory ).
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Why are we comparing ourselves to Coastal?
When we jumped to indy, all comparisons became worthless and our trajectory was set much steeper than if we went into the Sunbelt. Not a lot of happiness on their board, right now.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I couldn't care any less about them. It was a Jeff Barber made rivalry and as soon as they left the bug south it didn't matter anymore. I'll care when we play them in a few years.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
rogers3 wrote:
When we jumped to indy, all comparisons became worthless and our trajectory was set much steeper than if we went into the Sunbelt. Not a lot of happiness on their board, right now.
Their FBS move still has me :dontgetit
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
Even if it was a manufactured rivalry, they are the only "rival" we have, err, had!
Alabama24, that is true. But hopefully we will develop a new one, with somebody.
By libertyfan4life
Registration Days Posts
UMASS or BYU or New Mexico State -- could potentially become in the short term future a small rivalry of FBS independents of sorts. Maybe not a rivalry 25 years from now, but over the next few years..
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
libertyfan4life wrote:UMASS or BYU or New Mexico State -- could potentially become in the short term future a small rivalry of FBS independents of sorts. Maybe not a rivalry 25 years from now, but over the next few years..
Of those MAYBE BYU but that would be stretch
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Only team I see Liberty developing a rivalry with at this juncture is Marshall. We should play the Herd every year for a few years, and see what develops.
The only rivalry the JV team from WV has is with the Varsity team from WV. (Although we should offer Doc a mine full of money to come to Morgantown)

The natural rival for LU at the point is ODU
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Only team I see Liberty developing a rivalry with at this juncture is Marshall.
Ballcoach, I like how you think! :clapping :exactly :nod
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, I think ODU is the most natural rival.

WVU is a rival in Marshall’s eyes. Marshall is not a rival in WVU’s eyes. Marshall will always look up to WVU in athletics. It’s just the way it is.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Marshall will always look up to WVU in athletics. It’s just the way it is.
With all due respect, that's how WVU fans THINK Marshall thinks, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Now that Marshall is I-A, we don't give a darn about WVU (it's sort of like the Sun Belt fans thinking LU still wants in that conference).

And all that junk about calling Marshall the JV or the junior college in the state? This is not the 1980s anymore, and we have plenty of bowl wins to prove it.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
ODU would not make a good rival for LU. They are not an established football school.. I rate ODU one notch above Radford, only because they do have a football team. They have zero football tradition.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
And we do? Anybody with tradition is already going to have that natural rival.

The fact LU and ODU are brand new to the world of FBS and happen to be close geographically, makes it a very natural rival.
thepostman wrote:And we do? Anybody with tradition is already going to have that natural rival.

The fact LU and ODU are brand new to the world of FBS and happen to be close geographically, makes it a very natural rival.
A little rivalry history for those that don't know, since both teams went FBS Liberty leads the series 1-0. ODU was tied with Liberty for 1:56 and did not lead any minutes.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
JK37 wrote:Marshall will always look up to WVU in athletics. It’s just the way it is.
With all due respect, that's how WVU fans THINK Marshall thinks, but nothing could be further from the truth.

Now that Marshall is I-A, we don't give a darn about WVU (it's sort of like the Sun Belt fans thinking LU still wants in that conference).

And all that junk about calling Marshall the JV or the junior college in the state? This is not the 1980s anymore, and we have plenty of bowl wins to prove it.
Football: has Marshall ever played in a BCS or New Year’s Six bowl? What conference are they in again?

Men’s Basketball: ever made a Sweet 16? What conference are they in again?

I’m not trying to be mean or snarky. I’m just saying there are levels even within I-A/FBS. And Marshall isn’t on WVU’s. And that’s okay. Also, the last few times they competed in these sports, it was mandated by the state legislature. Manchin pushed it, too. But there is absolutely no incentive or benefit for WVU to play. That’s why they don’t, that’s why they shouldn’t, and some on the green side still push for it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:

Football: has Marshall ever played in a BCS or New Year’s Six bowl? What conference are they in again?

Men’s Basketball: ever made a Sweet 16? What conference are they in again?

I’m not trying to be mean or snarky. I’m just saying there are levels even within I-A/FBS. And Marshall isn’t on WVU’s. And that’s okay. Also, the last few times they competed in these sports, it was mandated by the state legislature. Manchin pushed it, too. But there is absolutely no incentive or benefit for WVU to play. That’s why they don’t, that’s why they shouldn’t, and some on the green side still push for it.
I’m trying to be snarky! But I also want your football coach up in Morgantown
Election 2022 and 2024

A congresswoman from a blue state gets you nothi[…]

Some statistics

Sometimes coaches will try to implement a philosop[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution,[…]

DOE Report

Gotta love presidential election season :roll: