Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Nate-FlamesFan
We had a pretty good offense last year, and with Freeze on board it should be safe to say that we will be significantly better.
With that said what do we need on the defensive side of the ball to correct our biggest issues from past year. I saw players in all positions have good moments but only a few made plays with any consistency.
By Class of 20Something
We can clearly see that the trenches are a focus for HCHF. I think whomever he is bringing in is going to be someone with a 70's football mindset for the lines. They may be young, but they are going to be hard nose people. I think thumping is behind us.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
And as Ballcoach's #1 source likes to say, LU's defense will be "coached up" next year!
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
I think often our defensive deficiencies were as much, if not more, schemes and communication issues than talent.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:I think often our defensive deficiencies were as much, if not more, schemes and communication issues than talent.

Amen !
By Wvflame2013
The only two games that looked like we had talent issues were Auburn, they definitely were on a different level physically and then the o line of army completely dismantled our defense physically. I could have rode a pogo stick through some of those holes for 10 yards.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Only an old WV guy would make a pogo stick reference. :lol: :oldhag :rofl
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
We need some big but athletic hole pluggers in the middle and some other edge rushers to complement guys like Austin Lewis, who let me just say, if he can give us 3 more years like last year, he could be one of our all time top defenders
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Also, Jesse Lemonier was a sack machine last year and he could be a major piece as well...too bad he was a junior last year., because he really is another guy you can build around up front
By CCWMichael
flamehunter wrote:I think often our defensive deficiencies were as much, if not more, schemes and communication issues than talent.
We were out leveraged a ton. = coaching/inability to learn which I will say mental talent.
Tackle --or as we are endeared to thudding. Have seen some good tackling through the play and some good wrap ups but meh.
Scheme is a big one as well. Did we ever press receivers (jam em up with hands) or just give 7 yard cushions all season long? Spreads need to be played tight. On that, did we have the talent to play press? poor technique?
No technique on bumps allowing the receiver to come into he defender cause we were rarely that close.
Geesh, how many times did we see us get beat deep -- many passes missed fortunately.
Open hips properly.
Need better trail.
How many times were defended passes the defender never turned his head? ---- all season long. Talent/coaching?
It is tough to be on an island when the rules favor the offense but that is no excuse for us to be that poor.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Press WRs at line of scrimmage and disrupt their routes quickly once ball is snapped. This allows d line more time to get to QB. (or blitzing LB)
By CCWMichael
ballcoach15 wrote:When I think defense, I think of first game with New Mexico State and UMass game.
Those games are certainly stickers.
In all fairness our D-line did improve over the year. We do have some studs that came in this year and flashed some serious ball hawking skills.
Ajayi -- could be a solid linebacker in a position that is key in the nickle.
Lemonier --- wow ---- big potential
Lewis -- He shows good flashes. frankly, great for a freshman. I really think he will mature and come to this year.

Predicting starters. Man, new sheriff in town. I agree with a prior poster rotations may be the new us in the Wimbo defensive scheme.
I see you perform you stay on the field ... otherwise it is next man up. No matter O or D.
Best man that moment is a go.
side note ... I hope the silly personal fouls come to an end.
By CCWMichael
One thing that stuck out to me was the lack of players around the ball by the end of a play. i was just taught that way.
Not many schools are like that on D.
Watching the Army game against Houston just solidifies my belief.
I hope whoever is our DC this coming year puts thee fire in the D to pursue constantly.
By tyndal23
Not many offenses allow you to have 11 hats around the ball anymore - Troy game was epic D but based more on the fact they didn’t spread us out - once we got spread out we were completely lost at 2nd and 3rd level and no swagger to make open field tackles. Only level of aggressiveness was D Line half of the time - hoping our long corners coming in let us fly around - ( 2 of them look great at bringing the wood and tackling in space ) also hoping our LB depth gets better - we had 1 good one ( King was limited - was OK against run if he didn’t have to think about pass too much but limited athletically - made the most of his talent though and a good leader to be a captain) We need a really good DB coach that works well with DC. Optimism is high for this season - again TG leaving a good team for HF to build on - not too many holes to fill. I sort of hope we go 8-4 best case and keep HF for 3 years to really build a solid base - if we go 10-2 year 1 will be hard to keep the vultures away...
By CCWMichael
tyndal23 wrote:Not many offenses allow you to have 11 hats around the ball anymore - Troy game was epic D but based more on the fact they didn’t spread us out - once we got spread out we were completely lost at 2nd and 3rd level and no swagger to make open field tackles. Only level of aggressiveness was D Line half of the time - hoping our long corners coming in let us fly around - ( 2 of them look great at bringing the wood and tackling in space ) also hoping our LB depth gets better - we had 1 good one ( King was limited - was OK against run if he didn’t have to think about pass too much but limited athletically - made the most of his talent though and a good leader to be a captain) We need a really good DB coach that works well with DC. Optimism is high for this season - again TG leaving a good team for HF to build on - not too many holes to fill. I sort of hope we go 8-4 best case and keep HF for 3 years to really build a solid base - if we go 10-2 year 1 will be hard to keep the vultures away...
The 3-4 is a solid D against the spread either NCAA or pro. Disguise and disrupt!
This is a versatile defensive scheme which allows for reads and change on the fly and nothing is more confounding to a spread offense than uncertainty. Example Army versus Oklahoma. Accounting for four up men rather than 3 is a stressors on the spread. Heck with this as Army does often you can put 7 to 8 on the line and confusion ensues ... who is coming and who is not.
So, my jist is it is a fallacy that the spread just does not allow for ball hawking.
Discipline to your assignment is critical as in any scheme but especially here for the lineman.
Holding a team to 24 is pretty good at the college level cause the spread will win at times.
I will take only 300 yards P/G as our new DC did in the past but we will see.
I am just spewing and advocating for what I feel works and he is the man that I am sure whatever his scheme is it will work.

Now motivate the kids to constantly pursue.

Our O should be putting up 40 regular like.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
In a spread look you often have 4 wide (or three and an extra TE) in the formation so its really a numbers game in the trenches. You want to set the front so the QB won't be able to switch his read to the backer as opposed to the end
By CCWMichael
BJWilliams wrote:In a spread look you often have 4 wide (or three and an extra TE) in the formation so its really a numbers game in the trenches. You want to set the front so the QB won't be able to switch his read to the backer as opposed to the end
taht is true and that's where the base D excels in it's flexibility.

Ask Nick Saban .... but he has talent that can two gap rather than one gap.
By CCWMichael
CCWMichael wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:In a spread look you often have 4 wide (or three and an extra TE) in the formation so its really a numbers game in the trenches. You want to set the front so the QB won't be able to switch his read to the backer as opposed to the end
taht is true and that's where the base D excels in it's flexibility.

Ask Nick Saban .... but he has talent that can two gap rather than one gap.
This did not age well for me Crybaby
By Class of 20Something
Welp.

4 man front is official.

Nick Pierce wrote:Just spoke with @LibertyFootball HC Hugh Freeze about his coaching staff. Audio coming soon. Freeze confirms he will go in to the season as the primary offensive playcaller. Base defense will be a 4-man front.
(This is where a tweet bbcode would be awesome)
Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry defeated […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]

LU Campus Construction Thread

Are they changing the name of The Jerry Falwell[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

The Race War (Caste system) began full implementat[…]