Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By CCWMichael
RPO, what a system at the college level.
With being able to block downfield this will be the trend in the NCAA until that rule is changed.
It is who we will be under Freeze.

An intelligent QB is required. He needs to read the box on each formation and know where the open spot or player is vunerable. There always is one and that needs to be identified quickly.
Defenses only real shot is man-press coverage and not many schools have the talent level to defend that.
Watch out to the Syracuse poster who slammed us. 2019 may awaken them a bit.

We are going to put up points and fast -- theoretically.
We should be keeping defenses unbalanced all year.
I am starting to search our 2019 opponets and how they fared against RPO's . Have to make my prediction.

If tickets don't sell now they may never.

I am excited that Freeze has had time to reflect and develop more schemes. This WILL be fun to witness.

I have never been a fan of the "new" offensive schemes but with 3 yards blocking downfield it is here to stay.
I will admit since we will be the ones dealing the blows it will be Flametasctic! :football :football :football
By CCWMichael
Jonathan Carone wrote:

That’s a video of Freeze teaching the basic idea behind his concepts.
If I read this right the linebackers are the key players to put in a bind.
Thanks for the link. I think I saw it elsewhere but was not so interested in RPO till now. :cheerleader
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Buckshot has great talent but his football IQ is what has always been questioned. I sure hope Freeze and his staff, whoever they end up being, can help coach him up.
By CCWMichael
thepostman wrote:Buckshot has great talent but his football IQ is what has always been questioned. I sure hope Freeze and his staff, whoever they end up being, can help coach him up.
I think Buckshot lofts the ball too much. That especially hurts in an RPO, Just MHO.
By LU 57
thepostman wrote:Buckshot has great talent but his football IQ is what has always been questioned. I sure hope Freeze and his staff, whoever they end up being, can help coach him up.
Also, is he capable of running the zone read? Seems to be a staple of Coach Freeze’s offenses.

Chad Kelly rushed for over 500 yards and 10 TD in 2015. Bo Wallace, while not exactly fleet of foot, rushed for over 300 in 2013 and 2014 while scoring 6 and 5 rushing TD, respectively.
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:
Chad Kelly rushed for over 500 yards and 10 TD in 2015. Bo Wallace, while not exactly fleet of foot, rushed for over 300 in 2013 and 2014 while scoring 6 and 5 rushing TD, respectively.
This will be interesting to see. If he can’t than I’d expect to see Bennett from the get go. Maybe not as the every down quarterback but in certain situations. Not saying Bennett would start over the senior Buckshot just saying if buck can’t run the offense the way coach wants I see Hugh doing what’s necessary to win.
By LU 57
Liberty22 wrote:
thepostman wrote:
This will be interesting to see. If he can’t than I’d expect to see Bennett from the get go. Maybe not as the every down quarterback but in certain situations. Not saying Bennett would start over the senior Buckshot just saying if buck can’t run the offense the way coach wants I see Hugh doing what’s necessary to win.
Just checked 2016. Kelly rushed for 331 yards and 6 TD. Will definitely need a somewhat mobile QB.

I saw Bennet changed his mind about enrolling in January. He made that announcement prior to coach Freeze’s hiring. Maybe he changes his mind?
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Honestly, when I listen to him speak, the whole IQ thing...
By CCWMichael
LU 57 wrote:
Also, is he capable of running the zone read? Seems to be a staple of Coach Freeze’s offenses.

I would love to know Buckshot's 40. Either way, his game speed is not fleet of foot and it makes me wonder if he will be a fit.
But thrn again, given mismatches anyone can move.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
The transfer market just got better with Shawn Robinson, the starting QB at TCU who got injured halfway through the season. He is a dual threat QB who runs the RPO really well.

Someone else I also thought about who would fit Freeze's system really well and this would be a dream transfer for next year. That transfer would be Jalen Hurts.

I do hope Buckshot adjusts well to Freeze's new system and to be honest I think Freeze will utilize Buck's strength and potentially not install his entire new system until he gets the qb he desires for his system.

Either way it is going to be exciting.
By LU 57
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:The transfer market just got better with Shawn Robinson, the starting QB at TCU who got injured halfway through the season. He is a dual threat QB who runs the RPO really well.

Someone else I also thought about who would fit Freeze's system really well and this would be a dream transfer for next year. That transfer would be Jalen Hurts.

I do hope Buckshot adjusts well to Freeze's new system and to be honest I think Freeze will utilize Buck's strength and potentially not install his entire new system until he gets the qb he desires for his system.

Either way it is going to be exciting.
I thought about Hurts too. Wouldn’t that be something? Likely never to happen but I do believe he is a man of faith.

Anyway, I have been watching a fair amount of “ A Season with Ole Miss” and the bottom line is that the QB has to be able to run. Will be interesting to see how things play out.
FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. That's[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

If Cleveland isn't in gym everyday working on addi[…]

This right here. You think most of the out[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

https://twitter.com/ChrisVannini/status/1782[…]