Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
you make good points old flame, I did hear from bama people that he was highly praised by Saban and there was a job for him in Tuscaloosa but he chose to come here instead. Either way you slice it the fact remains that we are glad to have him on board!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Excited to hear that about Mike. Actually, although he did a great job with the RBs at LU, WR would seem to be a better fit for him, since he played the position at the college and NFL level.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:That’s a step up.
That statement of fact wouldn't be directed at anyone specifically, would it? :wink:
By Jonathan Carone
oldflame wrote:
That statement of fact wouldn't be directed at anyone specifically, would it? :wink:
Not at all. It’s simply saying WR coach at Cincinnati is a step up from RB coach at Liberty.
By Class of 20Something
thepostman wrote:How dare you!! LU is on the cusp of P5 greatness!
I would contend that Cincy would be the success we want to emulate. 14 Bowl appearances in 20 seasons. Had Kelly, Dantonio, and Jones on their way up.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
oldflame wrote:
Not at all. It’s simply saying WR coach at Cincinnati is a step up from RB coach at Liberty.
I'll take your word for it. It's just that a certain someone has been making a point of implying that where our former staff have ended up was an indication of how bad they were.
By Class of 20Something
oldflame wrote:
I'll take your word for it. It's just that a certain someone has been making a point of implying that where our former staff have ended up was an indication of how bad they were.
Shoot, his motives may have been clean, but it's a valid point. Brown and Bookbinder are the only ones to really make a objective step up. Most made lateral moves, but nothing that stands out.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
oldflame wrote:
Shoot, his motives may have been clean, but it's a valid point. Brown and Bookbinder are the only ones to really make a objective step up. Most made lateral moves, but nothing that stands out.
What is Bookbinder doing at San Antonio anyway? He apparently works for the team, but he's not listed on their coaching staff. Not sure if that qualifies as a step up.
By Jonathan Carone
oldflame wrote:I'll take your word for it. It's just that a certain someone has been making a point of implying that where our former staff have ended up was an indication of how bad they were.
I have no reason to degrade the old staff. Can I not just be happy for a guy I went to school with?
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
If I may contemplate out loud, I wonder of HCF, helped him make contact with Cincy? Not particularly because MB needed help, but at this level, people in general do not taking firing or having to fire someone, personally. It is just a part of the bidness. I hope that HCF would be helpful with that process.
By tyndal23
2/18 Article on The Athletic - Hugh Freeze interview. They offer 1 free article a month for those of you who are not familiar ( sorry if this is a repeat but haven’t seen anyone else reference this article ). The Athletic has an app for your phone.
By Class of 20Something
tyndal23 wrote:2/18 Article on The Athletic - Hugh Freeze interview. They offer 1 free article a month for those of you who are not familiar ( sorry if this is a repeat but haven’t seen anyone else reference this article ). The Athletic has an app for your phone.
How do you access the 1 free per month. I'm getting paywall off the bat.
By Jonathan Carone
flameshaw wrote:If I may contemplate out loud, I wonder of HCF, helped him make contact with Cincy? Not particularly because MB needed help, but at this level, people in general do not taking firing or having to fire someone, personally. It is just a part of the bidness. I hope that HCF would be helpful with that process.
Immediately after the chief of staff fired Mike over the phone, Freeze texted him offering help if he needed it.

However, I’d say Chad Wilt likely had more impact than Freeze at Cincy.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:A certain someone has been making a point of implying that where our former staff have ended up was an indication of how bad they were.
Flameshaw, right? I just remember what my good old mom used to tell me: "Consider the source." :(
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
oldflame wrote:A certain someone has been making a point of implying that where our former staff have ended up was an indication of how bad they were.
Flameshaw, right? I just remember what my good old mom used to tell me: "Consider the source." :(
My good old mom always told me, "just tell the truth". Or like they used to say on Dragnet, "just the facts sir." One is always entitled to their own opinion, just not their own facts.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:...One is always entitled to their own opinion...
Only if they can prove it. The next part of your statement is intrinsically connected to this part.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:
flameshaw wrote:If I may contemplate out loud, I wonder of HCF, helped him make contact with Cincy? Not particularly because MB needed help, but at this level, people in general do not taking firing or having to fire someone, personally. It is just a part of the bidness. I hope that HCF would be helpful with that process.
Immediately after the chief of staff fired Mike over the phone, Freeze texted him offering help if he needed it.

However, I’d say Chad Wilt likely had more impact than Freeze at Cincy.
Not to diss Wilt in the least, but I doubt if a newly-hired DL coach has a whole lot of stroke in the hiring of a WR coach. Despite Chad's greater experience, they are now essentially peers. Freeze, on the other hand, could have answered some questions and had an impact by saying something like"Mike is a terrific young coach and was initially the only guy I retained from coach Gill's staff, but then I had a chance to hire someone I had a track record with and decided to make the change".
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Your assumption is that Mike would want help from Freeze.
He’d be a fool if he didn’t.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I am not saying Hugh Freeze is what got Mike that job, but why wouldn't he want help from someone with a ton of connections in the college coaching world? That would be silly.
FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now.

Election 2022 and 2024

I bet those are a joy. Texas poltical ads are […]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I'm not a fan of Cleveland trying to play point[…]

Longwood

Liberty heads east down 460 today for a game at Lo[…]