Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By CCWMichael
Cider Jim wrote:I absolutely HATE how corny our local paper is with its headlines:
Brown frozen out by new coach Freeze
Corny extraordinaire
By CCWMichael
LUDad wrote:
CCWMichael wrote:
jinxy wrote:Im not as closeley connected as others but i have heard the word to describe things as different. That exact word was used by 2 different people that dont know each other. That can interpreted a number of different ways and i still dont know exactly what either was getting at.
From the outside. Noted difference is motivation. Tweets from all the coaches are nothing but hard charging. That to mean says laid back now ... a go get e'm attitude. I feel the bar has been lifted. TG was a good coach and did have a good team. Now, I think we are beginning to witness what it takes to be great. I hope this is building an expectation for the teams future.
Just wait until the staff starts to stress the players. The ones that want to be the best they can be will thrive, others, not so much.
Change is tough anywhere. Yes, I am sure we will lose some that will not want to stay with the new expected effort.
happens in all programs. Sad but True <--- homage to PH and his magical tour.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:
flameshaw wrote:
Yea, kinda surprised Wimbo didn't end up as a HC somewhere. 8) Based upon where these guys landed, it says a lot about our former staff/coach. Looks like we are in a new stratosphere right now. Hopefully we can stay true to our mission. That is my biggest fear currently. Looking for a bowl trip after the 2019 season. :D
Did you see the defensive stats from last season? Got a pretty good idea why he didn't;)
Sorry I wasn't clear enough in the first sentence. Sarcasm meter was running 25% over full output. :)
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:
JK37 wrote:
LUDad wrote: I have listened and I believe him. When he speaks of finishing well, he is speaking from two perspectives, one worldly, one eternal. I believe he is all about fulfilling all his contracts, business and personal, from here on out. That includes being truthful to recruits when they ask him about his committment to LU. As an aside, I think he and his wife have a wonderful opportunity to have an impactful ministry to hurting families through LU (talk about finishing well...).
What specifically has he said from which you have inferred a 100% binding fulfillment of his current coaching contract? And what action on his part would you judge as being dishonest with recruits?
HF will be recruiting talent that LU could once only dream about. Do you think this level of talent, a talent that has many options, would sign to play at LU if they were not convinced that HF would be here for at least the duration of his contract? And yes, I absolutely believe HF will be honest with his recruits.
I am 100% in agreement that top talent will accept offers because they’re convinced HF will be their head coach.

I’m just personally not convinced that will be true. Time will tell.
By tyndal23
oldflame wrote:
thepostman wrote:Clearly you guys aren't listening to us interviews if you have to ask where he has said that. He said in the last radio interview that he sees himself as a builder and doesn't like to be places longer than 5 to 7 years.
5 to 7 years would be amazing. For the record, the only coach in the history of our program with a tenure of more than 7 years was Sam Rutigliano (10). Less than 4 probably only happens if we do a whole lot of winning. Anybody want to complain about that? It's totally my subjective opinion, but it seems to me that HF has begun to focus more on Liberty and what it has to offer in more recent interviews.
I am more worried about a 1 and done. We have a senior laden class that, with this staff and a lucky bounce or two could win 10 games - which I think would be an auto SEC HC offer - that would be disastrous for our program mid term - I really want a full recruiting cycle and at least 2 years out of this staff. ( and yes I mean it - a 10 win or even 9 win season would be bad - ) would have to go out and rehire a quality coach - candidates will be looking at young roster, pressure of living up to a 10 win season, short recruiiting cycle, lots of JUCO’s with 1 year eligibility left, etc, etc. Rooting for 7-5 with a bowl win ( is that wrong ? ) ha.
By Ewglenn
ballcoach15 wrote:Which SEC is firing their Coach ? Heck, most of them are fairly new, also.
Vandy will be open next season
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:Root for Auburn to have a very good year...
Auburn is unique. Coach Freeze and Gus are good friends. If they fire Gus, I am not sure if Coach Freeze would be interested in the job.

But if Auburn has a QB, I look for them to have a decent year. (I am not sure if their QB will still be there from last season.)

As for Vanderbilt, when one thinks of SEC :football , Vanderbilt doesn't often come to mind.
By LUDad
Let's suppose for a minute that HF has every intention of staying at LU at least through his inical contract. In that case, don't you think that this board is unfairly being detrimental to the recruiting process? Any prospect interested in signing with a particular school will likely be reading their fan boards. If we can't buy-in to least a five year tenure of HF, why should the prospect? Why not give him the benefit of doubt and support LU in the process?
By Class of 20Something
LUDad wrote:Let's suppose for a minute that HF has every intention of staying at LU at least through his inical contract. In that case, don't you think that this board is unfairly being detrimental to the recruiting process? Any prospect interested in signing with a particular school will likely be reading their fan boards. If we can't buy-in to least a five year tenure of HF, why should the prospect? Why not give him the benefit of doubt and support LU in the process?
Because he hasn't earned it. I can be equal parts excited and skeptical.
By LUDad
Class of 20Something wrote:
LUDad wrote:Let's suppose for a minute that HF has every intention of staying at LU at least through his inical contract. In that case, don't you think that this board is unfairly being detrimental to the recruiting process? Any prospect interested in signing with a particular school will likely be reading their fan boards. If we can't buy-in to least a five year tenure of HF, why should the prospect? Why not give him the benefit of doubt and support LU in the process?
Amazing grace, how sweet the sound...
By Class of 20Something
LUDad wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:
Amazing grace, how sweet the sound...
I didn't know naiveté was part of grace.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Glad I’m not the only one saying it now.

He hasn’t earned - couldn’t have put it better myself. And recruits should think the same way. Until he earns trust in longevity, a PSA can never assume the same HC will be there from shining day to graduation day.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I see a Gus M as LU OC in 2020
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
After last nights event i have to so i was blown away with the staff hes put together. Whether they were young energetic or hungry or seasoned vets filled with wisdom and humor man he put together a great staff.

Freeze was great, he has the it factor and can just flat out connect with people. The detail he provides is endearing and really draws people in.

I think jerry jr and ian hit a grand slam and he it hit a grand slam with all of his staff moves. I got the feeling that hes starting to see he can build something special here.

Maybe it was just me but i was blown away by the whole group and how much they wanted to be here.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:After last nights event i have to so i was blown away with the staff hes put together. Whether they were young energetic or hungry or seasoned vets filled with wisdom and humor man he put together a great staff.

Freeze was great, he has the it factor and can just flat out connect with people. The detail he provides is endearing and really draws people in.

I think jerry jr and ian hit a grand slam and he it hit a grand slam with all of his staff moves. I got the feeling that hes starting to see he can build something special here.

Maybe it was just me but i was blown away by the whole group and how much they wanted to be here.
It just boils down to the difference between rank amateurs and professionals. It is pretty obvious based on where our previous staff landed. I think Ron Brown recognized this and left when he had the chance.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:Maybe it was just me but i was blown away by the whole group and how much they wanted to be here.
So many of them shared that they've always been football coaches, but now they can truly coach as a ministry to these young men that they are discipling on the field or in the weight room or in their homes.

I know it's an old worn out phrase, but JB used to talk about "buying a house with a swimming pool." For these coaches, the "swimming pool" is LU's Christian emphasis, namely its love for Jesus: none said it better last night than Coach Pope, who chose to coach at LU over Bama (let that sink in). :shock:
Last edited by Cider Jim on February 7th, 2019, 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
jinxy wrote:Maybe it was just me but i was blown away by the whole group and how much they wanted to be here.
So many of them shared that they've always been football coaches, but now they can truly coach as a ministry to these young men that they are discipling on the field or in the weight room or in their homes.

I know it's an old worn out phrase, JB used to talk about "buying a house with a swimming pool." For these coaches, the "swimming pool" is LU's Christian emphasis, namely its love for Jesus: none said it better last night than Coach Pope, who chose to coach at LU over Bama (let that sink in). :shock:
Anytime there's an Alabama to Liberty connection, it's great, whether it be a player or Coach. Coach Pope is from Sylacauga, AL, went to school at Jacksonville State, coached at Alabama, and landed at Liberty. Great story.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:

I know it's an old worn out phrase, JB used to talk about "buying a house with a swimming pool." For these coaches, the "swimming pool" is LU's Christian emphasis, namely its love for Jesus: none said it better last night than Coach Pope, who chose to coach at LU over Bama (let that sink in). :shock:
Amen.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Pope looks like an amazing fit and it's great to have a young coach who has been exposed to that level of football. In the interest of full disclosure however, let me point out that he was a graduate assistant there the last 2 seasons, not a position coach. Tuition and a stipend, which I believe is capped by the NCAA. I think he completed his masters, so that position was actually done. No way of knowing if Bama had offered him a QC or analyst job. Anyway you look at it, being a position coach was a step up the ladder, and in fact he may have actually needed a job.
Last edited by olldflame on February 8th, 2019, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]