Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
In no way am I saying the scoop that Jonathan just dropped us is lacking truthfulness. Jonathan's track record speaks for itself.

However, in our Liberty bubble we have seen at times a lack of truthfulness to info being leaked. We saw this a little over a month and a half ago with info saying that Coach Dailey stormed out of the FOC cuz he was mad at Gill for the surprising retirement announcement. Later on we found that report to be not true as Dailey's wife was actually giving birth and thats why he went aka storming out of the FOC.

I do agree with Jonathan in his assessment of how Brown was fired. Let the man finish his recruitment and get back to campus before you pull the plug on his employment. I am excited for the football side of things but I am very very curious to how the ship will be run on the inside.

With that said, I do feel for Coach Freeze as he was bull-rushed into making major decisions that deal with peoples livelihoods and he is fully responsible for the product on the field. So, if he thinks Bruce Johnson is in fact better for that product than MB then so be it. This is a difficult leadership situation that he has been thrown into. I just hope things like Brown's firing are a one time thing.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
FlamesHighontheTide wrote:In no way am I saying the scoop that Jonathan just dropped us is lacking truthfulness. Jonathan's track record speaks for itself.

However, in our Liberty bubble we have seen at times a lack of truthfulness to info being leaked. We saw this a little over a month and a half ago with info saying that Coach Dailey stormed out of the FOC cuz he was mad at Gill for the surprising retirement announcement. Later on we found that report to be not true as Dailey's wife was actually giving birth and thats why he went aka storming out of the FOC.

I do agree with Jonathan in his assessment of how Brown was fired. Let the man finish his recruitment and get back to campus before you pull the plug on his employment. I am excited for the football side of things but I am very very curious to how the ship will be run on the inside.

With that said, I do feel for Coach Freeze as he was bull-rushed into making major decisions that deal with peoples livelihoods and he is fully responsible for the product on the field. So, if he thinks Bruce Johnson is in fact better for that product than MB then so be it. This is a difficult leadership situation that he has been thrown into. I just hope things like Brown's firing are a one time thing.
This part is why I am willing to be a bit more forgiving if things aren't exactly handled perfectly. I think he was put in a tough situation and is trying to gain his footing a bit. If the early recruitment period was not I thing, I believe all of this would have been handled much differently.

I don't know why I am becoming a HF apologist because I was, and still am, skeptical of the hire. I guess I am tired of how people within the liberty bubble continue to leak crap out because they allow their emotions to get the best of them. It has happened so often and continue to happen. Then people like GMTM come on the message board that they have long forgotten about with the sole purpose to stick up for their unnamed friends whose feelings were hurt by something HF did or didn't do.

Ok, I'll step off my soapbox now.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:How can you determine from the facts that we know that our mission was somehow compromised?

Go to JFJr's social media account and you will find post upon post that does that on a nearly daily basis which is much more troublesome than this. Just sayin'
I agree and I am one of many alums that wish Jerry Jr. would get off of twitter because he does more harm than good. For the record, President Trump should do the same.

However, should we look at JFJr's social media posts and dub that the standard at LU? If we do make his social media posts the standard than you are 100% correct this firing issue of MB is not a biggie. Yet, the mission of the school is to train champions for Christ and this is to be lived out in the lives of administrators, profs, coaches and students. Atleast that's what they told us when I was an RA :D . All I am trying to say is that the standard is being a champion for Christ not what Jerry Jr. puts on twitter.

For the record postman, each one of us who have ever been in a leadership position know how difficult it can be to make tough decisions and at times take the easy way out. I for one have done that. Nonetheless, I am trying and I believe Coach Freeze is trying to do things in a way that glorifies God. Like you, I am willing and I hope many on this board are willing to be forgiving in matters like this.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
It is very unfortunate that MB was dismissed. While I agree the timing was not the greatest, Hugh had to have a reason. We will probably never know that, but it is what it is. I work for a global company and dismissals happen frequently and though its sad when things like this happen, especially to a LU great it does sting a bit. I think Hugh should have did the dismissal though and I think that is the thing that rubs most the wrong way. In the end like a few others have said MB has a solid network and will land on his feet. I am confident of that.
By Jonathan Carone
bigsmooth wrote:It is very unfortunate that MB was dismissed. While I agree the timing was not the greatest, Hugh had to have a reason. We will probably never know that, but it is what it is. I work for a global company and dismissals happen frequently and though its sad when things like this happen, especially to a LU great it does sting a bit. I think Hugh should have did the dismissal though and I think that is the thing that rubs most the wrong way. In the end like a few others have said MB has a solid network and will land on his feet. I am confident of that.
Here's where I've landed after thinking about it:

Had Mike been on campus and Coach Freeze were out recruiting somewhere, I would be okay with the Chief of Staff being the person to let Mike go.

However, since it was a phone call, there's no reason Freeze couldn't have taken the 20 minutes (if that) it would've taken to do that instead of pushing it off to someone.

I'm okay with the idea of bringing in his own guy. That's his prerogative. The more I hear about the details of how it went down, the more it rubs me the wrong way.

Also - as has been said - I'm sympathetic to him because of the early recruiting period and how he's had to throw everything together. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt and try to understand why he does what he does before jumping to crazy conclusions about the man.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Everyone should be thankful we have Coach Freeze as our Head Football Coach. It was an excellent hire by our AD. Everyone just needs to calm down, and get on the LU Bandwagon.
By gerb
Good news! New FOC will have a nursing mothers room where you guys can comfort each other.

You guys are assuming that HF's public statement at the presser is the totality of the expectations set with MB. A much more candid conversation likely happened one on one right from the start.

Consider HF could have told him: Mike, I don't know you but I'll keep you on unless I land a certain coach I really want. If you want to stay and take your chances, you're welcome to. I'll even give you a kicker to help land some key recruits. But you might want to start looking just in case.

I can think of another half a dozen plausible scenarios. Honeymoon is over?? :roll: Get a Low-T shot and move on. Sheesh.
By Jonathan Carone
ballcoach15 wrote:Everyone should be thankful we have Coach Freeze as our Head Football Coach. It was an excellent hire by our AD. Everyone just needs to calm down, and get on the LU Bandwagon.
You sound like the president.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Im not as closeley connected as others but i have heard the word to describe things as different. That exact word was used by 2 different people that dont know each other. That can interpreted a number of different ways and i still dont know exactly what either was getting at.
By LUDad
Jonathan Carone wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:Everyone should be thankful we have Coach Freeze as our Head Football Coach. It was an excellent hire by our AD. Everyone just needs to calm down, and get on the LU Bandwagon.
You sound like the president.
BC, wise advice. I think Jonathan agrees, given his compliment.
By Equinox
Registration Days Posts
I wish Mike Brown was still on the coaching staff, hopefully he'll land nicely at an FBS school like Winbo did.
By CCWMichael
jinxy wrote:Im not as closeley connected as others but i have heard the word to describe things as different. That exact word was used by 2 different people that dont know each other. That can interpreted a number of different ways and i still dont know exactly what either was getting at.
From the outside. Noted difference is motivation. Tweets from all the coaches are nothing but hard charging. That to mean says laid back now ... a go get e'm attitude. I feel the bar has been lifted. TG was a good coach and did have a good team. Now, I think we are beginning to witness what it takes to be great. I hope this is building an expectation for the teams future.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I absolutely HATE how corny our local paper is with its headlines:
Brown frozen out by new coach Freeze
By LUDad
CCWMichael wrote:
jinxy wrote:Im not as closeley connected as others but i have heard the word to describe things as different. That exact word was used by 2 different people that dont know each other. That can interpreted a number of different ways and i still dont know exactly what either was getting at.
From the outside. Noted difference is motivation. Tweets from all the coaches are nothing but hard charging. That to mean says laid back now ... a go get e'm attitude. I feel the bar has been lifted. TG was a good coach and did have a good team. Now, I think we are beginning to witness what it takes to be great. I hope this is building an expectation for the teams future.
Just wait until the staff starts to stress the players. The ones that want to be the best they can be will thrive, others, not so much.
By Class of 20Something
LUDad wrote:
CCWMichael wrote:
Just wait until the staff starts to stress the players. The ones that want to be the best they can be will thrive, others, not so much.
I really think they need to over recruit the class, because I can't imagine they don't lose 2-3 before the season.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
If my guess above was correct, that leaves Brown, Singletary and Bookbinder as those still looking for work from Gill's on-field staff.
By gerb
CCWMichael wrote:
Looks like he is building recruiting machine with the energy and strategy of P5s. Not saying we will recruit to that level but expect a significant uptick in class ranking, especially once the new FOC is online.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
alabama24 wrote:
LUDad wrote:Coach signed a five year contract.
Since when has a contract stopped a good coach from going to a "better" school? :lol:

Freeze was not my first choice, in part because of the chances of him sticking around. He could. I hope he does. I won't be mad if he doesn't, as long as he does it the right way.
Why do we think he will leave? I think he has a chance to be happy here and control a program that is willing to spend money. A chance to build a program similar to Notre Dame's. I can see Freeze being here a long time.
By LUDad
JK37 wrote:
LUDad wrote: I have listened and I believe him. When he speaks of finishing well, he is speaking from two perspectives, one worldly, one eternal. I believe he is all about fulfilling all his contracts, business and personal, from here on out. That includes being truthful to recruits when they ask him about his committment to LU. As an aside, I think he and his wife have a wonderful opportunity to have an impactful ministry to hurting families through LU (talk about finishing well...).
What specifically has he said from which you have inferred a 100% binding fulfillment of his current coaching contract? And what action on his part would you judge as being dishonest with recruits?
HF will be recruiting talent that LU could once only dream about. Do you think this level of talent, a talent that has many options, would sign to play at LU if they were not convinced that HF would be here for at least the duration of his contract? And yes, I absolutely believe HF will be honest with his recruits.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:If my guess above was correct, that leaves Brown, Singletary and Bookbinder as those still looking for work from Gill's on-field staff.
Yea, kinda surprised Wimbo didn't end up as a HC somewhere. 8) Based upon where these guys landed, it says a lot about our former staff/coach. Looks like we are in a new stratosphere right now. Hopefully we can stay true to our mission. That is my biggest fear currently. Looking for a bowl trip after the 2019 season. :D
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote:
oldflame wrote:If my guess above was correct, that leaves Brown, Singletary and Bookbinder as those still looking for work from Gill's on-field staff.
Yea, kinda surprised Wimbo didn't end up as a HC somewhere. 8) Based upon where these guys landed, it says a lot about our former staff/coach. Looks like we are in a new stratosphere right now. Hopefully we can stay true to our mission. That is my biggest fear currently. Looking for a bowl trip after the 2019 season. :D
Did you see the defensive stats from last season? Got a pretty good idea why he didn't;)
By Class of 20Something
I think it rings loud and clear that we out played what AD's and other FBS coaches consider our staffs ability. Has anyone from the staff moved up? Dailey is the only one that made a lateral move from FBS OC to FBS OC.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:
flameshaw wrote:
Did you see the defensive stats from last season? Got a pretty good idea why he didn't;)
Excellent observation
Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]

I'm not sure why anyone thought online would eve[…]

Longwood

Did you make the trip to Farmville?

G5 Playoff Only

We DO NOT want this. This is Division 1AA all ove[…]