Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
I can’t see anyone with half a brain turning down help. “Hey, ran into coach Freeze and he said you might be looking for a job?” “ Coach Freeze told you that? No, I’m good. I don’t need his help”
This is the part I don't mind. if in passing freeze wants to mention I'm looking for a job thanks. What I would not want is HF doing the leg work and calling one of his coaching buddies and ask a favor of hiring me. I'm grown and I can do that myself. I don't want a pity offer. I want to earn it. If someone comes to him and says they are searching for someone by all means great. But being given a job by one of your friends just because you felt bad you fired me doesn't sit well with me. does that make sense?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I think a college head coach would need to owe someone a HUGE favor to hire an assistant just because they asked him to, and on the other end, when someone owes you that big a favor, you would be wise to save it for something you really need. Having people on your staff you KNOW can do the job is too important. I'm sure that wasn't what happened here. My guess is that Cinci liked Mike's resume, he interviewed well, and all his previous bosses (a pretty impressive list) spoke highly of him.
By LUDad
Jonathan Carone wrote:Mike had been offered the job, accepted it, and had his contract in hand. He was out recruiting for Freeze. You can be “well actually” guy but he was fired.
Going simply on face value, it sounds to me like HF did MB a huge favor by providing him with a contract before letting him go (or "firing him). Wouldn't a contract in hand provide a safety net, so to speak, in case he didn't land a job right away?
By Jonathan Carone
LUDad wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:Mike had been offered the job, accepted it, and had his contract in hand. He was out recruiting for Freeze. You can be “well actually” guy but he was fired.
Going simply on face value, it sounds to me like HF did MB a huge favor by providing him with a contract before letting him go (or "firing him). Wouldn't a contract in hand provide a safety net, so to speak, in case he didn't land a job right away?
Notice I didn't say a signed contract.
By LUDad
Jonathan Carone wrote:
LUDad wrote:
Notice I didn't say a signed contract.
If he had a contract in hand then all he has to do is sign it...
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
Coach Aldridge tweeted out a picture of the Liberty staff being in Georgia speaking at an event for GA minority coaches. In the photo it appears the slides coach freeze is using has an Ole Miss border along with Nike. Seems odd to me that he wouldn’t have updated the slides to his current employer. Just an observation.
By Jonathan Carone
LUDad wrote:
If he had a contract in hand then all he has to do is sign it...
I was told he was given the contract but then they told him to hold off on signing it. It was during that interim that he was fired.

At the end of the day, we all know what happened. Freeze was going to hire Mike until he found out he could get someone he considered better. That's business. The way Freeze handled it was crappy, but the move itself is what happens in many industries. Mike would have every right to hold a grudge and not want to be associated with Freeze while at the same time Freeze had every right to make the move. These things happen.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
This is semantics because holding a grudge would've been completely understandable but I'd argue against it being right.

We have kind of beaten a dead horse here. I'm glad Mike got a job and I hope he grows as a person and professionally through this whole process.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
I can’t see anyone with half a brain turning down help. “Hey, ran into coach Freeze and he said you might be looking for a job?” “ Coach Freeze told you that? No, I’m good. I don’t need his help”
This is the part I don't mind. if in passing freeze wants to mention I'm looking for a job thanks. What I would not want is HF doing the leg work and calling one of his coaching buddies and ask a favor of hiring me. I'm grown and I can do that myself. I don't want a pity offer. I want to earn it. If someone comes to him and says they are searching for someone by all means great. But being given a job by one of your friends just because you felt bad you fired me doesn't sit well with me. does that make sense?
It’s an emotional response. And if it was a job with Our Mother of the Worthiness Miracle you might could have a point. But if I don’t have a job I’m not looking a gift horse in the mouth.
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
Liberty22 wrote:Coach Aldridge tweeted out a picture of the Liberty staff being in Georgia speaking at an event for GA minority coaches. In the photo it appears the slides coach freeze is using has an Ole Miss border along with Nike. Seems odd to me that he wouldn’t have updated the slides to his current employer. Just an observation.
HCHF apologized for it, stating he has not had a chance to update it yet.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:This is semantics because holding a grudge would've been completely understandable but I'd argue against it being right.

We have kind of beaten a dead horse here. I'm glad Mike got a job and I hope he grows as a person and professionally through this whole process.
+1
By Liberty22
Registration Days Posts
LUGrad2000 wrote:
Liberty22 wrote:Coach Aldridge tweeted out a picture of the Liberty staff being in Georgia speaking at an event for GA minority coaches. In the photo it appears the slides coach freeze is using has an Ole Miss border along with Nike. Seems odd to me that he wouldn’t have updated the slides to his current employer. Just an observation.
HCHF apologized for it, stating he has not had a chance to update it yet.
That’s good to know.
By Ewglenn
If someone is willing to help get me a job I will take the help regardless of who it is. Pride goes out the window.
By tyndal23
I wondered what was up when they announced a new hire to the staff on twitter yesterday, but hadn’t heard that we had lost one.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote: January 16th, 2020, 1:05 pm I wondered what was up when they announced a new hire to the staff on twitter yesterday, but hadn’t heard that we had lost one.
The new hire is slated to be Aldridge's assistant with the DL, focusing on the inside guys. I believe they will be making another hire to replace Pope.
By FlamesHighontheTide
Registration Days Posts
How about a Manny Rojas reunion??? He is the DC and Linebackers coach at Lafayette. I would imagine that Scott Symons gets poached in the next 2 years and with DC experience at the FCS level it might be a natural step up to DC for Manny.
By cruzan_flame13
FlamesHighontheTide wrote: January 16th, 2020, 2:46 pm How about a Manny Rojas reunion??? He is the DC and Linebackers coach at Lafayette. I would imagine that Scott Symons gets poached in the next 2 years and with DC experience at the FCS level it might be a natural step up to DC for Manny.
That's cold man :lol:
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
We will be fine. Energy was his best attribute. Not the greatest timing with us trying to add a juco but hes in the bottom half of the most important on field coaches we have.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/college/memp[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

What is the scouting report on Isaiah Ihnen from […]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]

https://i.postimg.cc/bJsNVRB7/20240416-152017.jp[…]